Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

New owner of a Hummingbird 17RK

Hello all, we just purchased a Hummingbird Travel Trailer! We tow with a Nissan Frontier. We traded a old Aerolite TT, the Hummingbird is longer but narrower. We're looking at installing Gc2 batteries, over the group 27 battery. We have 300 Watts of solar charging one 100 watt Renogy suitcase, one custom made 200 watt suitcase that the 100 watt plugs into to make the total. Drawback to the hummingbird is the total cargo weight as we can only have 684# . The truck now carry's more.We have the 11th one made.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

ENJOY THE HUMMINGBIRD!!!
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #3

Hello. We are planning on purchasing a 2017 Hummingbird RK Baja and we have the same truck. Do you need extended mirrors on ur truck or is the trailer narrow enough to see behind? Derek
Buschpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum, Buschpig.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:20 AM   #5

Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschpig View Post
Hello. We are planning on purchasing a 2017 Hummingbird RK Baja and we have the same truck. Do you need extended mirrors on ur truck or is the trailer narrow enough to see behind? Derek
Welcome! I can see around the Hummingbird well without mirrors however we use the clip-ons just so I can see a little better behind the trailer for tailgaters.
I would get the Baja package (my wife won't allow that) just for the bigger tires the standard one are just big enough to carry the loaded weight (tires are MAX'd out @ 1760# each) assuming the weight is evenly spread between the hitch and tires. The bigger tires 15' with the Baja have a higher load capacity (2200# each), but it doesn't increase the trailer's ability to carry more, just give a better safety margin. I have the part number for the Baja axle, and I'm going to upgrade to a Dexter axle 4000# axle (LCI won't sell individual axles) and the 15" tires of the Baja package, again this won't increase the load capacity of the trailer either, it just gives me a piece of mind knowing that the tires are not a their limit.
Another thought, (2) GC-145 batteries will not fit on the battery rack in battery boxes.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

Welcome
Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
Welcome! I can see around the Hummingbird well without mirrors however we use the clip-ons just so I can see a little better behind the trailer for tailgaters.
I would get the Baja package (my wife won't allow that) just for the bigger tires the standard one are just big enough to carry the loaded weight (tires are MAX'd out @ 1760# each) assuming the weight is evenly spread between the hitch and tires. The bigger tires 15' with the Baja have a higher load capacity (2200# each), but it doesn't increase the trailer's ability to carry more, just give a better safety margin. I have the part number for the Baja axle, and I'm going to upgrade to a Dexter axle 4000# axle (LCI won't sell individual axles) and the 15" tires of the Baja package, again this won't increase the load capacity of the trailer either, it just gives me a piece of mind knowing that the tires are not a their limit.
Another thought, (2) GC-145 batteries will not fit on the battery rack in battery boxes.
Thanks for getting back to me. Does the frontier need any sway bars or a distribution hitch? Is it fairly level with just a normal hitch?
Old 12-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

New Owner of Hummingbird

Yes, mine is an SV model, not a Pro 4X, but the rear dropped 3 1/2" measured in the rear fenderwell and the front lifted 1 1/4" with the dead weight hitch. So I bought a Reese SC series with 600# spring bars. Now its set-up to ride level, when the truck is fully loaded, we pack more in the truck since the trailer can only carry 684#s: weber Q-grill, chairs, and such.
The SC hitch has built-in sway control as the load bars ride on brake pad like supports on the trailer's A-frame rather than hanging off chains.
The Pro 4x models weight 400# more and that reduces the towing capacity (but the Dana 44 axle would be nice. Towing is pretty easy, I get roughly 14 at 62 MPH, sometimes on long hills the transmission drop a gear or so down to maintain the speed but rarely revs over 4000 RPM, for a short time I think its OK, the 4.0L likes RPMs (remember it was originally designed the for 350Z) so I just let it. It has never hunted for gears even when we went to the Gulf Shores this summer with the H-Bird in tow a 2500 mile round trip for us.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Thanks for the helpful information. Does your Hummingbird have 2 sewer hookups? I think the one that we r looking at is the RK. It looks like there r 2. Any ideas on a solution for carrying 2 hoses. Lol why do they do that! Maybe 2 into One. Lol
Old 12-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #10

We carry one sewer hose, we have the 179RK (Rear Kitchen) and the tanks locations you can't get around the axle for a single dump port. I would look at a Y-fitting to bring together the two hoses to one. The places we mostly go don't have sewer at the campsite so we not looked into this type of solution. I think the last time we had full hook-ups was 15 years a ago at a Yellowstone NP - at a local RV park called the Virginian, they had cable too. We normally go to state parks, most only have electric if anything, we have not found one yet you can't get potable water from (use a carbon filter) we travel with roughly 8 gallons of water just in case.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #11

How do you post pictures?, I'm a very fresh at social media stuff. I can't even find post I written on here unless someone writes back so I can reply from the email I receive.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #12

Love the size of the JAYCO Hummingbird... Perfect for getting back off road in some of the places we usually go to...

google image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote