Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

New owner with a question

Hi!
Single mom of two girls and I just bought a flawless like new 2009 Jay Flight 19BH.

It is wonderful - save for sleeping for a tall mom. I tried sleeping on the jackknife bed with the BF and let my kids have the twin over full bunk but that was horrible.

The next night I slept on the inside of the bottom double - worse than horrible as the kid above kicked off her blanket making it a little oven underneath and I was trapped beyond trapped - I pushed open the emergency exit window and contemplated kicking out the screen...

The next night I took the short outside and that was a thousand times better even with my 5’11” legs hanging off, but he wasn’t happy at all.

So question. Can I modify this trailer in any way to let two adults sleep more comfortably on a slightly larger, flatter surface? Is there any aftermarket anything that can make a better bed even if it means I pull out the sofa and the wardrobe by the front door, even blocking the door for the evening. Is there something to add to the jackknife edge to give a few more inches of width and then I’ll put a topper on it and let my legs hang off by the door.

I saw a folding sofa on camping world. Perhaps I can remove the arms and open it into the kitchen area.... aaagh, I am desperate. Is there such a thing as a custom pop out for a just a bed in front????

I didn’t save forever to give the trailer to my kids while I aerobed it outside in a tent...

Anyone successful or have a suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
06AE041E-DAA8-45CC-BF2E-D3A6A1B9F974.jpg  
ccstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #2

Unfortunately you are discovering the realities of a smaller TT and no slide. That said, even most larger TT's with slides have the same couch option and short bed. With a larger TT you get a bedroom separate from the bunk area.

Best option I think is to take over the full bed and send the kids to the couch and outside to a tent. Age and being the owner give you the power to make decisions. The kids should move down the food chain and you should move up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

Congrats and welcome to the Zoo from MO
Meadowlark paint
Iraq 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #5

Congratulations and welcome! Happy camping!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #6

Congrats with the newer TT. Several here have and love to modify. First have patients we'll work you through this. My first approach would be to consider a mod to the shower location. Some have even moved the "shower to the outside". But with most girls this is not an option. It looks like your closet is attached to the double bed? So, maybe do a mod to move a portable style closet to the shower and removing the current closet? The idea of a portable closet is that all items could be stacked/folded onto the double bed on shower days. Additionally, having a "setup" for the outside shower is a easy peasy thing to do. Lots of adapters at the local home improvement store to replace the short hose out there. A wire stand with curtain rod and a one set is a whalla! As the military say "never give up, never surrender". There is a fix out there.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Keep searching for ideas, I'm sure you will find one. We got rid of our first rig because we could not stand the "jack knife" sofa. To short for you and very uncomfortable. Maybe a good blow up mattress on top. We have one like that in our current rig for a 2nd bed but it would not be my choice for every night.

Good luck and keep us posted. There are many here with great ideas on doing mods to rigs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #8

Thank you. Great suggestion. In fact this trailer has an enormous shower which we will never use. Removing that, I had never thought of. However, I am not sure we would have room to get into the bathroom. Even if I turned the toilet sideways.

Love this idea though, keep them coming ��
Old 02-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

we have 3" memory foam for the split sofa that keeps it from being a problem.. Could you put a piece of plywood over the split sofa make it the same size as a queen and then a queen blowup? I don't know how large the jackknife sofa is...

then you don't have to "redo" your trailer...

Picture might help with the layout...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #10

Depending on how tacky you are ok to go: put a piano hinge on plywood the size of a good quality air mattress, halved lengthwise. Use a 1x2 across each and tight enough to make sure it doesn’t open past dead flat. When not in use it should fit behind the jackknife sofa. When in use it should give a base large enough for a comfortable night sleep. On the class c I had the jackknife sofa in I had to cut the ends where they extended the upholstered plywood above the flat folded jackknife.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #11

That is an excellent idea.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

I could make the jackknife sofa about 6” wider. Oh why oh why doesn’t Ikea get into the RV furniture business!!!??? Lol
Old 02-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstar View Post
I could make the jackknife sofa about 6” wider. Oh why oh why doesn’t Ikea get into the RV furniture business!!!??? Lol
Quick edit?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #14

Voice text did not like the word Ikea....
Old 05-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #15

Update: I got an amazing $125 foam/ Tempur-pedic mattress off of Amazon. I cut it to fit in the double space under the twin bunk. What I didn’t do is cut off the corner. While I’m tall, that angled piece would cut me across the calf and make my legs hurt. Now, I feel pretty good and we can still get in and out of the bathroom.

Tags
bed modifications, custom bed, need sleep, sofa bed