Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #21

Ordered the 35UN Yesterday......36 feet of her......

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #22

WOW OH WOW. Joe, congrats. Now the excitement builds. How far out are they? You're going to have to change your signature now. Welcome aboard.
Darrell
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #23

I like your idea of a shakedown.....WOW. Then NC.....what a way to start.
We took another step towards "having it all".
Added a Roadmaster base plate, Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Brake Combo along with a break-away system.
Towed our '13 Wrangler Sahara to storage........probably 15 miles, 2 lane, 4 lane & interstate. Not a lot of miles but it was a positive experience. Very straight forward hookup and unhook system. Brakes did a really nice job...........no panic stops but a shut down to 0 on the 2 lane from 45 mph. Very controlled and comfortable. Keeping enough space and forecasting "what if " really pay off.
Got it going on.
Enjoy,
Darrell
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #24

Darrell - That's a good and big step. Phase 2 for us. Going the Enterprise rental car route until next Spring. Did you look at Blue Ox too? If so, any feedback on your comparison with other towing solutions? Thanks, McGarrett
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
WOW OH WOW. Joe, congrats. Now the excitement builds. How far out are they? You're going to have to change your signature now. Welcome aboard.
Darrell
1st ones off the assembly line should be here Late Sept early Oct.
We'll see what she looks like then. Can opt out if we don't like what we see, so the waiting starts...

Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #26

Good for you Joe!

We keep getting nice surprises ahead of delivery. Didn't realize the shore power input is in a lockable storage compartment in the basement which will allow my surge protector to be safe. Also the waste hose stores in a separate cylindrical input and doesn't take up or dirty up a storage compartment. The coax and water inputs are also inside a compartment so all the connections are underneath the rig. Sweet!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #27

Hi McGarrett. We looked at Blue Ox. We did a lot of reading on posts on RV forums and Jeep forums to see what works for most people. The install dealer we bought from carries Roadmaster. They have a long running history and are family owned/operated. They came highly recommended and I now see why......give them 5 stars ADH, Inc, Parkville, MO. They also carry the Ready Brute tow bar and the brake system. I wanted the surge brake system. Ready Brute home is in Iola, KS....not far from here and again family owned/operated. I opted for the surge brakes so I don't have to carry a pod and make adjustments everytime I wanted to tow. KIS keep it simple. I became very comfortable with the set up and hooked and unhooked with supervision and instruction from ADH and then drove to storage and unhooked without any difficulty.
Blue Ox was recommended by the dealer I bought my Precept from, but I wanted the whole setup, put on at one location.
There is no doubt I could have saved some money if I pieced it together myself but I am not an install guy. This is the first towed I have worked with and I wanted it right. Besides, the Jeep is Mary's and she would not be happy if I messed something up on her Jeep. Happy wife, happy life.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #28

Joe, I'm betting you'll like what you see. You probably have a list of "must haves" etc. We did and the 31 UL really came in strong.
It'll be here in no time.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #29

McGarrett, you are right: nice surprises. For me the sewer storage compartment is wasted. Not very deep and I would have to take my fittings off the hoses in order to store it. If they are going to make a "sewer" storage, they need to take into consideration the connections we carry...clear elbow, hello.
Next weekend, we go to a local State Park and begin really getting comfortable with Bertha.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 08-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #30

Thanks for the feedback on the tow bar and the storage. I'm not a mechanical guy either so I'll be looking for a complete solution too. I definitely will look at the Roadmaster next year when the time comes.

Enjoy your weekend next.

We booked an overnight near the dealer for the night of pickup to put together a full punch list before we take the Precept home and are now planning our September and October trips. McGarrett
Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #31

Thanks. It's all coming together for you too. Look forward to hearing about your discoveries & excursions.
Enjoy
Roadmaster base plate
Old 08-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #32

Quote:
McGarrett, you are right: nice surprises. For me the sewer storage compartment is wasted. Not very deep and I would have to take my fittings off the hoses in order to store it. If they are going to make a "sewer" storage, they need to take into consideration the connections we carry...clear elbow, hello.
Next weekend, we go to a local State Park and begin really getting comfortable with Bertha.
I've seen this mistake on other coaches. I just don't get how they can get the sewer hose storage so wrong.
Do they really think anyone is removing sewer hose connections in order to stow it?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Joe, I'm betting you'll like what you see. You probably have a list of "must haves" etc. We did and the 31 UL really came in strong.
It'll be here in no time.
What are the round about costs for prepping a vehicle/RV for towing 4 on the ground?
I need to learn this from the ground up. Zero experience.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #34

Update on my question to Jayco about the excessive (to me) steering wandering. Their email response:

"regarding the coach wondering. Since you have verified the alignment and the coach is already equipped with the J-Ride package, your only other options would be to invest in a heavier sway bar for the front and/or look into steering stabilizer systems. We do not warranty the addition of those items, but they may help."
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #35

Time for an update. We spent 4 days at Watkins Mill State Park (MO) over Labor Day weekend...........dry camping. Because it was hot and humid and Tess does not handle the heat very well, we drove to the park (45 minutes) with the gen/AC/fridge on. Really nice to have that feature available.........didn't have with the 5er.
We arrived with full fresh water, empty black and grey, 3/4 full LP. We did have 50A service... .trouble free. Our sight is packed gravel and not level at all. Doesn't look too bad but when I parked and put the leveling jacks down, I had 3 wheels off the ground. Retracted the jacks, moved Bertha over for more level spacing and still ended up with front wheels off the ground. Retracted, set up blocks in front of the front tires, drove up on them, put the jacks down and WALAAAAA level and all wheels had contact with a firm surface.
Anyone have input on the leveling situation?
Once plugged in w/gen off, slides out, AC back on, water pump on, we were set for a great weekend.
Of 98 camp sites in the park, we were 1 of only 3 MH, a small hand full of 5ers and trailers. The majority of campers were in popups and tents. This is why the 31 UL appealed so strongly to us........we enjoy the state parks amenities....3 1/2 mile paved walking/bicycling trail around the lake. Swimming beach, fishing, canoeing.....
We took Navy showers and conserved our water and grey/black capacity very well.
When we left, we had 1/3 fresh, 2/3 black, 2/3 grey. Utilized the dump station and had water hookup to run the black tank flush and hooked up the Jeep and headed home.
No issues with having hot water.
I think we are going to like this..............ALOT.
Next outing in a couple of weeks for 5 days.
Have a great day.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #36

Great update Darrell. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like things went really well all around. That's great to hear.

We are about two weeks away from our first outing. Going to take a six-day trip down to the Keys. Will report back when we return. Hopefully our experience with our Precept will be similar.

McGarrett
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
Great update Darrell. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like things went really well all around. That's great to hear.

We are about two weeks away from our first outing. Going to take a six-day trip down to the Keys. Will report back when we return. Hopefully our experience with our Precept will be similar.

McGarrett
We look forward to your report. We will have a 10 day in October with a few weekends inbetween...............but won't be going to the Keys....not yet. Wow what a great outing that will be.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #38

We took our 2015 Precept 31UL out for it's maiden voyage last week. We drove over 800 miles down into the Florida Keys and back to the Tampa Bay area.

The headline is that EVERYTHING exceeded our expectations!

The rig performed as advertised. We were very pleased and appreciative of the advice we received on this forum prior to buying and then traveling. We also are very pleased with the thought Jayco put into designing this motorhome and generally the overall workmanship. Yes, there a few items that need some adjustment, but on a macro level, we are happy campers.

As newbies, here's some things we learned and some questions we have for the forum:

-The refrigerator is awesome

-The hot water heater, set to mfg spec, works well. We did have to reset the ECO button once, but that's because we initially had the temperature setting in the bathroom all the way to the right, which is too high, especially for Florida. A call to the manufacturer helped me find the ECO button and they were very accommodating and helpful.

-The ride is great. Very few rattles. The view out the front window is amazing.

-The sofa and dinette bed set up are easy and comfortable.

-The slides, levelers, generator, etc all performed as they are supposed to.

-The outside plumbing set up is well planned.

-For those who may be concerned about the electronics and the fact that the Clarion set up is 3 years old, I must say that the features and capabilities are as good as you will find in 2015 cars. The bluetooth worked well (although had to pair my phone again several times during the trip). The GPS, is great and can be customized. I did set it to track our trips, but found that feature used too much of the radio's memory and had to reboot the unit to clear the memory and turn that feature off. While the GPS database is a few years old, it does the job. I used it in combination with either Google Maps or my favorite GPS travel app, "Waze".

-Our two golden retrievers have adapted well and while the rig has a very narrow pass through between the two slideouts when moving that they are figuring out, the payoff is really in the space you have when both slides are out.

Now, here are my questions:

1. How do you set the Auto Gen parameters for temperature or battery displacement to have the generator kick on. The quiet time settings were accessible but following the instructions in the manual never lead me to be able to say, for example, if we are away from the rig and the thermostat sees the room temperature get to 80 degrees and there is no shore power, the generator should kick on?

2. I'm going to get tire valve extenders for the outside BACK tires, but for the life of me, I can't find a tire gauge that will angle in to the original valve stems, even with the tire cover off. I bought a 90 degree professional gauge, but it won't work either. Anyone know the trick?

3. Is it okay to leave the water pump on when driving so we can access the water in the fresh water tank? Or should we just turn it on and off when needed?

4. There are 3 white drain tubes, bundled together, hanging BELOW the rig near the utility center and separate from the 4 water drains in that compartment. They are just hanging loose. Does anyone know what they are for?

5. I bought a propane powered grill. Any concerns traveling with those 16.4oz propane canisters in the basement, that may be partially used from cooking while parked?

So far so good. We are very pleased and heading out on another 6 day trip in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for everyone's input for us Newbies!

McGarrett
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #39

Congrats on the purchase !!

My thoughts on a few of your questions :

2) I owned a bus company for a fair number of years and never found a wheel type that one of these (this exact style) didn't work on :

Click image for larger version

Name:	truck-tire-pressure-guage-400x400.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	15414

I picked up one for our Motorhome at Advance Auto Parts.

3) We turn ours on and off when needed. Don't know if this is necessary but it's just what we've done.

4) On our Greyhawk those 3 tubes sound like the overflow from the fresh water tank. On our first night camping with the RV I hooked up the fresh water and put the setting on "City fill" rather than "City features" (figured I'd read the Manual while having dinner . . .). 10 minutes later I found out what those tubes were for . . .

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #40

If the geny is in the auto mode the thermostat is the control. When it calls for cooling the geny should start and when the transfer switch closes the a/c should start. Put it in auto, set the a/c to cool and then lower the thermostat setting to verify it works. The same for a low battery it should just start when needed.