Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #41

Thanks busguy - That's the exact model pressure gauge I bought. I'm just going to have the extenders added tomorrow and be done with it.

The other thing I can't figure out is why the selling dealer set the PSI on all tires to 90 when the sticker in the rig says 83. I asked their prep mgr that and couldn't get a straight answer. Once I have the extenders on the outside tires, I'm going to reduce the PSI to about 85 until I can get the rig weighed.

Appreciate the answer on the water pump and those 3 tubes. Now we know!

McGarrett
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #42

Wow. What a great flow of information. Great questions and responses. Just a couple of answers. We bought a Weber gas grill. Really does a great job with anything I put on....what do ya mean "luck". I do carry the small disposable LP canisters in my basement. I put the cap back on after using.....don't know that it makes any difference though.
The valve stem extenders simplified checking psi in tires.
I shut the pump off while we are on the road and turn it on for each use. It's always primed so no delays. Just a precautionary thing. If a faucet should vibrate open, the pump would fuel it.
Congratulations on a great maiden voyage.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #43

Had the valve extenders added yesterday by a long-term independent RV service center a few miles from the house. Gives me great comfort to be able to check the tire pressure on the outside rear tires.

The Precept created a lot of interest while on the property. The owner came out and wanted to take a look and it received some nice compliments on the look and design from someone who's been in the MH business for over 35 years. He also was very complimentary on Jayco's history of quality.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #44

Lots of positives: A dealer close by that you have confidence in, a quick fix that enables you to monitor your tires and admiration from long time in the business associates. All confidence builders......we all like to have our actions validated. Thanks for sharing.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #45

Time for some other tweaking. I brought Bertha home to load & prep for our weekend outing. Turned on the Fridge and it threw a code "L1 oP". Got out the owners manual..fault codes (Pg 18). The high temperature limit switch is open....not serviceable by owner.
Called my dealer Trailside RV, Grain Valley, MO around noon on Tuesday. Service Mgr. walked me through a couple of scenarios, spoke with a tech and asked if I could bring Bertha over. 45 minute drive, they evaluated and determined the high temp limit switch had failed. They made several calls & jumped through some hoops and said they would have one Wednesday.......they would call when it arrives. Wednesday, they called, I drove back over and in 30 minutes was headed home with the fridge cooling.
This is important to share because #1 we hear so many stories about the best you see out of your dealer is when they wave as you drive away after picking up your new unit. #2 because the high temp limit switch is tied in to a recall issue, they can't just pull one off of the shelf. It has to be assigned a specific fridge and recorded. Normally this process (with the paper work) takes about a week to process. My service manager was able to make direct contact with the area rep from Norcold and the rep hand delivered the switch. I have a scheduled appt. when we get back for some minor warranty work and they will have the paper work then. Now folks, that is service.
My second "aha" had to do with electrical and hooking up the toad. Right turn & brake lights wouldn't work on the Jeep.
Using the info in the Ford manual on the fuse/relay box, I located the fuses and relays that control the systems for towing a trailer/toad. Although the fuses didn't appear bad, I replaced 2 of them and then replaced a relay (specific to the right "trailer"). It worked.......turn and brake and tail lights worked. It was the relay.
Although, I have diodes in the system that are supposed to control the electric flow, somehow I blew the relay anyway.
My resolve when I am hooking the Jeep to Bertha is to wait until the very last step to hook up my electric umbilical cord. That way I do not have current from the Jeep and MH trying to do the same thing. I use the foot brake (as per Jeep instructions) during the process of putting it in neutral............now I prep the Jeep after hooking to the MH and the last step is hook up power cord.
Think I'll go camping.
Enjoy
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
This is important to share because #1 we hear so many stories about the best you see out of your dealer is when they wave as you drive away after picking up your new unit.
X2 If all the dealers did the proper PDI and follow up service the complaints would be cut by 75%. At least IMHO.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #47

Darrell - Great to hear your dealer recognized the urgency of the repair and made the extra effort. Have a good trip! Let us know how it went!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #48

Update time. Possibly the last outing this year.... cleaned inside and out and all fluids, etc (that would be affected by the winter temps) removed. I put a coat of wax on the front end in July and it is holding up well. Winterized.........wasn't smooth, but then I got out the manual.
Bertha is now in storage, however I take her to the dealer for some minor warranty issues next week.
We left on Oct. 2 for a week at Smith Forks CG, Smithville, MO, home for 1 night and restocking, then to Wilderness CG, Branson, MO, returning on the 18th.
We had a great time and really feel like we are settled in to Bertha very comfortably.
I have some pics on our album. Fall pics were not yet in full bloom but the Ozarks are really beautiful anytime of year.
We toured Table Rock State Park campgrounds and rode bikes on the trail. We will definitely be spending time there in the future.
We also found a COE campground, one of several on Table Rock Lake. But Mill Creek CG is fantastic. Sites can be reserved 6 months out and the sites fill quickly. Paved, tables, fire rings, landscaping & most have full hook ups w/50 amp, the CG is on a peninsula so every site has at the very least outstanding water views. Most sites are water front and there is a boat launch available.
We had rain/thunderstorms while at Smithville Lake off and on and again at Wilderness. We didn't care, we were cozy and comfortable. Although temps dropped into the upper 40s a couple of times, we seldom used the furnace......electric heater did great.
All systems on Bertha worked as expected without issues.
Hooking and towing the Jeep without any issues also. Mary figured out how we could monitor the rear camera while traveling........
We are busy planning our "Bucket List" since 2015 promises to be our first year of being job free.
Happy, happy........Oh yea, DID I MENTION...THE ROYALS WON GAME 2???
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #49

Took our Precept from Florida to the North Carolina mountains last week for a 8 day, 7 night excursion to see some fall color. Timing couldn't have been better. Close to peak I'd guess.

While we only got to about 3500 feet, I was very impressed with how the Precept handled the hills and the turns. About the only complaint we have is the slide-out kitchen counter and drawers tend to slide out (and in) on their own, as we took some of the tighter turns. I hope this can be adjusted when we go in for our first warranty service next month.

We met up with some other new RVers and continue to get compliments on the way Jayco has thought through a lot of the amenities. We ran the furnace one night to take the chill off. The initial burn prompted the smoke detector to go off but there was NO smoke, just that first time "smell" that we expected and must have prompted the alarm. This was a one-time event and the next morning when we turned on the furnace again, there was no alarm. The rig heated up about 5 degrees in less than 20 minutes. And it was that nice warm gas powered type of heat. The heat registers seem to be evenly and well placed.

We also turned the hot water heater dial up from 1/2 way (as recommended by the mfg.) to about 3/4 since the air temperature outside dropped to low 40s at night. Had plenty of hot water and the temperature was steady during showers and kitchen use.

Upon return, I washed the rig for the first time. Boy, that is quite a job. Really didn't expect it to take as long as it did to get the bugs off the front. Love the big windshield on the Precept, but the corners are a bit hard to squeegee. Elbow grease on a ladder worked just fine.

Anyway, so far so good. We plan to take her in for some minor warranty work next month that was outstanding upon delivery. Living in Florida we are lucky that we can use her year round and have shorter trips planned already for February, March & April. Need to find somewhere in Florida to go before the end of the year so we can get one more trip in. Interesting to see how many RVs were headed south on I-75 as we headed north last week. Hadn't really thought about it and it does make sense that the nicer parks fill up down here and the prices go up in the winter.

McGarrett

Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #50

Overall, sounds like a great outing.....AGAIN. That's how it's supposed to go. Were you anywhere near Boone, NC? We spent a week at a KOA there several years ago.....great outing.
Should be a snugging they can do on the drawers.......we haven't had that happen.
Yep, what you said about the furnace/smoke detector. Vents are nicely placed.
Thumbs up on the WH.
Washing that is like washing a whale.....lol.........but it sure is PURTY.
I'd prefer you go ahead and winterize..........just for the experience and I wouldn't feel so bad......lol
Ever been to Destin? On our bucket list. Also, we hear Florida State Parks are phenomenal.
Thanks for the report.
The kids did well also I hope.
Roadmaster base plate