Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2020, 06:14 AM   #1

New RV Rookie

Good Morning Jayco Family!
I am Excited to be a Part of this Family! We have a 2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW. Our Current Tow Vehicle is a 2017 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport with the Towing Package.
I have 2 BIG Questions I need Answers/Recommendations for:

(1) RV Surge Protector

(2) What Do I NEED to Safely Tow this Travel Trailer??? We are only looking at Occasional Weekend Travel in East Texas (No Mountains!) until we can Replace the Tacoma with a Full Size Truck, Looking at Late Model F150 3.5L Ecoboost with Max Trailer Tow Package. I need this Daily Driver to get Fairly Good Gas Mileage.

Thank You In Adavnce for Your Help!!!

Scott Armstrong
Scott&Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #2

Sad to say a new truck.. You are right at the rated towing capacity of the truck and minus the hitch weight the Taco's payload allows for only 450 lbs in the truck. Two people max with no other gear in the truck.. and no gas in the tank.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott&Leslie View Post

(2) What Do I NEED to Safely Tow this Travel Trailer??? We are only looking at Occasional Weekend Travel in East Texas (No Mountains!) until we can Replace the Tacoma with a Full Size Truck, Looking at Late Model F150 3.5L Ecoboost with Max Trailer Tow Package. I need this Daily Driver to get Fairly Good Gas Mileage.

Thank You In Adavnce for Your Help!!!

Scott Armstrong
Welcome to JOF!

You need to know your payload. It's on a sticker in the driver side door. With that trailer you are looking at potentially a 900# tongue weight. You'll need a good weight distribution hitch, such as the Equalizer E4. The weight of the hitch is close to 100#. That's 1000# that you have to subtract from the payload. What's left is for your family, your dog, and anything else you carry in the truck.

As said, you're at the limits of your truck. You're going to want that F150 sooner rather than later.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #4

Since the others responded about the truck, I'll say this...., Get an EMS, Not a surge protector.
With antiquated campground pedestals, basic RV surge protectors will only provide limited protection. Although an electrical management system is more expensive, it offers more protection. I think of it as an insurance policy for the RV. Better to spend a few hundred on protection now to avoid spending a few thousand on repairs later.

Here are a couple that a lot of folks on this JOF talk about:
Assuming you have a 30 AMP electrical system. (If you have a 50 AMP, Just look at the 50 amp models

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-34931/

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW. I'll 2nd the Progressive Industries EMS unit. More protection than just a surge protector.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #6

Congratulations and welcome to the group! Another vote here for an Electrical Management System as opposed to simply surge protection. I am a fan of Progressive Industries...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #7

Welcome aboard!

If your thinking about getting a Surge protector, go all out and get the EMS. It is a much better investment. CG's are known to have power issues especially when it is hot out and everyone's AC is running.

As for the Truck. Check the sticker on the door jam. Historically, the payload calculation already includes a full tank of fuel and an "Average" size driver of 150 lbs. However, my new everyday commuter car, does not include the driver's weight, but the sticker states that. Payload is the important number to know. Next is the tongue weight. Once you get all loaded up, I would recommend stopping at a CAT scale and take a few measurements. Make sure to have a fuel fuel tank and everyone/thing in the TV. See, https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html for details.

You really want a good WDH, with integrated sway control, and an electric brake controller. The WDH can be transferred to the new TV, but will need to be adjusted for it's setup.

Good luck have fun

Payload is the

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
CAG

Too many buy an RV and then try to figure out how they tow it with what they have for a tow vehicle. If you are planning on replacing the tow vehicle you should know what it is that you need to tow with what ever it is that you are going to pull with it. The place to start is here or a similar calculator.

https://www.exploreusa.com/tow-guides

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Since the others responded about the truck, I'll say this...., Get an EMS, Not a surge protector.
With antiquated campground pedestals, basic RV surge protectors will only provide limited protection. Although an electrical management system is more expensive, it offers more protection. I think of it as an insurance policy for the RV. Better to spend a few hundred on protection now to avoid spending a few thousand on repairs later.

Here are a couple that a lot of folks on this JOF talk about:
Assuming you have a 30 AMP electrical system. (If you have a 50 AMP, Just look at the 50 amp models

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-34931/

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/
Ditto on EMS to protect electronics. I've used Surge Guard units. While the name is "surge" guard they sell 30A and 50A units that provide protection for over/under voltage, reverse polarity and other issues. I've used pole mounted units and never had it stolen. The advantage is that if the unit should go bad for a short time you can plug directly into shore power. With a hardwired unit (which I have now) you need to remove and replace it immediately or have some means to disconnect the unit and restore power while you're waiting to replace the hardwired unit. For that I still have a pole mounted unit and 30 amp connectors to use if the hardwired unit has to be removed.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #10

Welcome from northeast Illinois.

Another option is your wife could follow you in another car with a lot of the "stuff" and any kids in it. That will save you some payload in the truck. If you are going only short distances (under an hour or so) that might be pretty doable.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #11

On the truck replacement issue, has anybody else noticed a price spike for used F150s where you live? I swear, around here, all have increased by about $5000.00 since Covid on 2015 to 2019 models.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
On the truck replacement issue, has anybody else noticed a price spike for used F150s where you live? I swear, around here, all have increased by about $5000.00 since Covid on 2015 to 2019 models.

Murff
Murff,

I work in the automotive industry--specifically as a trainer for a market analysis software company for dealerships. Most dealerships were posting record sales for the last 2-3 months. The shutdown at the factories and supply chain issues have slowed production of new vehicles. Add to that that most Americans got a stimulus check from the government putting extra money in their pocket. This has caused used to skyrocket in price (high demand, low availability). Dealers can only purchase units at auction for over retail pricing. It's a perfect storm of high used vehicle pricing. I've never seen anything like this before.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #13

Welcome from SW Michigan

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:16 AM   #15

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote