Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Welcome To Jayco Owners Forums > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

New Skylark FKV21 2012 / Ford Escape 2010 V6 AWd Tow package.

I'm a New jayco owner , and hoping to have good summer time with this new TT.
we still have snow up here ,(April 1) but we are ready to go as soon as the winter will decide to go away..
I will may be need your help for this TT , how to set up this TT with my Fod Escape. Will see later this month..
Not enought weight on the trailer hitch for a WD and need a good sway bar I think..
See Ya..

Steph.
Steph_Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF Steph_Skylark! As you come up with specific questions regarding the towing, post them over in the "Towing & Tow Vehicle" forum.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Welcome! I believe they make WDH that would fit your combo but like Healthi stated just search around or ask in the towing forum. Tons of info in there on this topic.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

I am getting the same Skylark (I pick it up next Monday) I have a Jeep Liberty with the factory tow package It can pull 5,000lbs. I am getting the equalizer hitch. If you only have a class II receiver hitch you can't use a WDH it is not rated for it. The max tow capacity for your Ford 3,500 lbs, the GVW for the Skylark 3,500. That's a tough pull for the small SUV. Good luck with your set up.
Biker crd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

I would strongly recommend the right WDH, Reese makes one that is perfect for the trailer, it has built in sway control as well, a must for these one axle trailers. They kinda bounce around, look it up on e-trailer.
Skylerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

Looks like you need another TV as the Escape is not rated for anything but a popup. Larry
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #8

The first year we owned our Skylark, we towed it with a Mazda Tribute (6 cyl) which is the Mazda equivalent of an Escape. The 3500# towing capacity makes a sway bar essential. Even so you will not be comfortable towing at highway speeds with a trailer that close to the max of your vehicle. I noted an oscillation of the Tribute and trailer between 55-60 mph that made me very nervous when towing. Also the small fuel tank in the Escape will have you stopping every 1-1/2 hours because you will only get 10-11 mpg. We upgraded to a 2012 Honda Pilot with 5500 pound capacity and couldn't be happier. More comfort, smoother towing and better gas mileage and distance between fill ups.
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
We are departing Aug. 6 on a 5+ week Eastern Seaboard New Hampshire, Maine. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island trec with our new 2012 Skylark FKV. I have installed a 600 watt xantrex inverter under the dinette seat next to the door and added a 2nd battery. A perfect fit. At the other end where the dinette seat forms a 'L'. I removed the end of the bench and attached it to 24 inch long by 12 inch high drawer I built for boots. This drawer completely disappears from site using the existing facing of the bench.
I installed the Reese 66151 WDH on our 2005 V8 4 Runner. The 66151 shank has 6 holes for adjustment. I need the 8 hole shank to lower the front of the trailer 2 1/2 inches. Question; I need advise again. What is best? Raise the trailer axle and how or go to eTrailer and purchase a lower 8 hole shank. Thanks all for previous assistance and sharing your knowledge..
Skyron
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote