Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

New to all of this

Hello to everyone out there. We're new to all this - to towing, to travel trailers, and to the forum, so please bear with me until I learn my way around. I just ordered a 2018 Jay Feather 23BHM, which is from what I have read not a very common model. But the floor plan is perfect for my wife and I and our 10-year-old daughter, and our dog. We're in northeast Pennsylvania and there are lots of places for us to go in order to stay local this Summer and get some valuable experience. Our truck is a 2016 f150 XLT supercab with 5.0 and factory tow package (not the heavy tow, just the regular one). The GVWR of the trailer is 6250 lbs. so I think weight won't be too much of an issue, and the truck's available payload is 2067 lbs., so I'm hopeful there as well. It's not a big trailer, and at 26' it's not an overly long trailer either. We wanted something a little lighter but if the trailer turns out to be too much for the truck we'll know that by the end of the Summer and address it next Spring. I've spent months reading and digesting information on towing and have done the math over and over so many times, but I guess you really don't know how things will go until you try. Anyways, I just wanted to introduce my family before I start posting stupid questions.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Hello to you. Congratulations on the new Jay Feather and welcome to the forum and to RVing.

From your post, it seems you've done your homework on trailers, tow vehicles, etc. You did check out weight distributing hitches (WDH) and anti-sway, too, didn't you? If not, that is your next homework assignment.

Feel free to ask questions. At one time all of us were newbies and the folks here strive to be helpful and friendly.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

Welcome.

We bought a 2017 Jay Feather 25BH but the 23BHM was on my shopping list. It basically came down to one of the two models and I wasn't sure which way to go. They didn't have the 23BHM at the show for us to look at in person but there was a White Hawk with the same front murphy bed so we could at least look at how that worked and how much room it gave us.

For us it came down to we have 2 kids (11 and 8). So the plus for us was the 25BH had bigger double bunks, outdoor kitchen, separate front bedroom and TV spun around between living room and from bedroom. The 23BHM was lighter had 2 access doors with one going right to the bath which we really liked since we boondock most of the time. However they were the same exact price... In the end we went with the bigger camper. It was a tough decision.

For your tongue weight I usually for planning use the GVWR of the camper and plan on 15% TW. So that is going to be 937# plus another 80 or so for the WD hitch. That is kind of your worst case number going against the cargo limits on your truck.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #4

Welcome aboard, we're glad you're here and we hope you'll get many enjoyable years out of your new Jay Feather. Not all that far from you, down here in Lancaster PA.

FWIW, you're not very different than my rig - I have a 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW, *and* we tow it with a 2010 F150 Supercab with a 5.4 liter, (IIRC) 3.55 rear end, and factory tow package. Truck payload max is 1300 pounds, and the trailer's GVWR is 5995. Although we have NOT weighed it (shame on me), we should be putting around 650-700 pounds on the tongue, which leaves just barely enough payload for passengers, minimal luggage, etc.

Anyway, we're using a Husky WDH and sway bar, and last summer took it up into your neighborhood at Timothy Lake South. But the biggie was a trip to Maine. Drove and handled just fine.

In a couple of weeks we're headed for Chesapeake Bay for our first outing of the season, and in mid-June it's time for Maine again. Several other outings in the works, too, but plans are still underway.

May be obvious that we're retired.
'
Anyway, enjoy!!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

We were originally looking at the 25BH models too, not necessarily just Jayco but everyone has that model. The 23BHM is scarce and we found one in New Jersey a week or so ago. My wife went to look at it and said it's perfect (I didn't see it but I'm taking her word) - we only have our daughter and the 23 gives her her own "room" at the back of the camper. The back door is also a big plus; we think it will save us some tracked-in dirt. The one we found in NJ wasn't exactly what we wanted so we ordered a 2018, which we hope to have by early-to-mid June. As far as the tongue weight goes I figured about 950 lbs. as a worst case scenario, and with the four of us (have to count the dog!) and some "stuff" in the truck we should still be about 500-600 lbs. under the payload. Hope it works out. Thanks for your words and good luck to you.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

Yeah I agree there are a lot of manufacturers that have that basic 25BH floor plan with little differences here and there.

The problem we always ran into was that the GVWR was normally falling in the 7500-8000 range and when I ran the numbers those campers were too heavy and unless I went with a 3/4 ton truck I wouldn't want to tow it. If I had to move up to a 3/4 ton I would lean toward a 5th wheel. However by then we are talking a trailer and a truck and now we are at $100K which wasn't in the cards right now. We had been looking on and off for the last couple years. The Jay Feather 25BH was the first with that floor plan we liked that I found with a sub 7000 GVWR. The only complaint I have is there is no integrated ladder to get to that top bunk. However we found the kids were fighting over who got to climb up there and the 8 year old had no problems so it is probably fine.

We actually have our PDI tomorrow and we can't wait to finally get to pick it up and bring it home. Though they are talking snow showers tomorrow morning so we have a while before the first trip.

Out of curiosity, have they give you a timeline on the 2018?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

Wow, you can already get 2018's?

My camper is only 8 months old and it's already 2 years behind. This depresses me for some reason.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

As others mentioned, now you have to figure out the WD hitch if you don't have that worked out yet. Everyone has their opinions on what is best. We went with the Blue Ox. While the Draw-tite from our old camper would have moved over, I didn't have sway control bar which while cheap I liked the idea of something easier to set up.

The Equal-i-zer is another popular option but a little more difficult to set up. Also I liked that I could add or drop a chain link to adjust the spring tension as my load changes for instance if boondocking I will have a full FW tank but sometimes we will camp with full hookups and not have that extra weight of the water and generator.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Wow, you can already get 2018's?

My camper is only 8 months old and it's already 2 years behind. This depresses me for some reason.
They are starting to show up in dealer lots. I would imagine anything ordered now will come in as a 2018.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Welcome from Western NY! No such thing here, as a dumb question. Ask away when the need arises.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Hello to you. Congratulations on the new Jay Feather and welcome to the forum and to RVing.

From your post, it seems you've done your homework on trailers, tow vehicles, etc. You did check out weight distributing hitches (WDH) and anti-sway, too, didn't you? If not, that is your next homework assignment.

Feel free to ask questions. At one time all of us were newbies and the folks here strive to be helpful and friendly.
I'm getting the WDH/anti-sway from the dealer when I pick up the trailer. I've done A LOT of homework before pulling the trigger. And thank you for your kind words.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Yeah I agree there are a lot of manufacturers that have that basic 25BH floor plan with little differences here and there.

The problem we always ran into was that the GVWR was normally falling in the 7500-8000 range and when I ran the numbers those campers were too heavy and unless I went with a 3/4 ton truck I wouldn't want to tow it. If I had to move up to a 3/4 ton I would lean toward a 5th wheel. However by then we are talking a trailer and a truck and now we are at $100K which wasn't in the cards right now. We had been looking on and off for the last couple years. The Jay Feather 25BH was the first with that floor plan we liked that I found with a sub 7000 GVWR. The only complaint I have is there is no integrated ladder to get to that top bunk. However we found the kids were fighting over who got to climb up there and the 8 year old had no problems so it is probably fine.

We actually have our PDI tomorrow and we can't wait to finally get to pick it up and bring it home. Though they are talking snow showers tomorrow morning so we have a while before the first trip.

Out of curiosity, have they give you a timeline on the 2018?
The 2018's are just starting production and going out to dealers by May. Depending on where the Jay Feathers fall in the production schedule we should have ours by late May to sometime in June. That's what we're hoping anyway.

I too struggled with the 7500-8000 GVWR trailer. We considered a Super Duty when we bought the f150 but that truck is just not practical as a daily get-around. It's huge. And besides that there's just us, our girl, and our dog and we have no desire and no need to go to a big trailer so we looked around and found the 23BHM and it suits us perfectly. We hope to get good enough at this to boondock maybe by next year so a smaller trailer figured into that equation too. Last thing I'll type: being the cautious idiot type I wanted the back door on the rare, rare chance something would go to crap on us my little girl has her own exit. I'm an over-protective dad - I know that and I'm not proud.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #14

Hello from the west coast. We just joined this family ourselves. The boss and I are sporting a 2008 Seneca and loving the outdoor life. Hope the camping scene has as much of an impact on you, as it's had on us. Happy Trails!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #15

Welcome Killer to JOF and congrats on the new trailer. Happy Camping!

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #16

Well Killer, as one who has been towing since 1983, and also does a lot of research before pulling the trigger on things, I can say that your F150 will have no problem with your 23BHM.

I just took a look at the 2017 specs for it and the trailer has a 6250 GVWR which is only 300 pounds more than my 2015 WH 20MRB (now discontinued). I tow with a 2011 F150 SCab with the 5.0. My Payload is 1754 but we still have plenty of wiggle room.

An aside, with the weight of a smaller trailer, you might check out the Andersen WD Hitch and not go just based on what the dealer wants to sell you.

Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Well Killer, as one who has been towing since 1983, and also does a lot of research before pulling the trigger on things, I can say that your F150 will have no problem with your 23BHM.

I just took a look at the 2017 specs for it and the trailer has a 6250 GVWR which is only 300 pounds more than my 2015 WH 20MRB (now discontinued). I tow with a 2011 F150 SCab with the 5.0. My Payload is 1754 but we still have plenty of wiggle room.

An aside, with the weight of a smaller trailer, you might check out the Andersen WD Hitch and not go just based on what the dealer wants to sell you.

Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!
Murff

Thank you for the links Murff. Hitches are the weak spot in my game. I have read some, but everyone seems to have a different opinion about them. Can you tell me in a nutshell what I'm looking at? I know what the hitch does as far as distributing the rear end weight along the trailer and truck frames, but what does having a smaller trailer have to do with the Andersen?
Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #18

In my research, some folks with heavier trailers have stated the Andersen hitch hasn't performed well. I cannot confirm that as I have not towed a large trailer with my Andersen. I do know with a trailer the size of mine that it works great. I towed a 24 foot KZ Jag to Michigan and back the first year we had the Andersen and the White Hawk to Ohio in 2015 and Las Cruces NM last year.

I have towed a 30 foot trailer with a Reese Dual Cam hitch. The Andersen performs as well with the current trailer. Nice thing about the Andersen, NO BARS! I hate having to find a home for WDH bars when camped. The chains on the Andersen stay attached. Weigh a lot less than a spring bar hitch, too!

I do not have a stake in Andersen, I just speak highly of products that I have used and have performed well.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #19

I agree with Murff regarding the Andersen - it's a great hitch for these mid-size and smaller units. An added benefit for us is the lighter weight of only 60lbs and the ease of hooking up. The DW has no problem doing that by herself. We make regular trips to the southwest and the Andersen makes for comfortable towing over long distances.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #20

Sweet! Welcome! Have you done any drive way camping to make sure you have everything you need?

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote