Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #1

New To Camping and Have a few questions.

I recently purchased a 2014 GMC 1500 z71 tow Rating is 9600 max. I have ordered a new Jayco 28bhbe the trailer is on order and they haven't begun building it yet. The salesman informed me that I have plenty of truck to pull this beast and the numbers back that. I wanted to get real world opinions. I plan to pull this long distances and have a trip planned from NY to NC then VA back to NY. Also I wanted to know about the pros and cons of 30amp vs 50amp service as I can still add the 50amp? Also I got the 15k btu ac but should I also add a bedroom ac unit. Everything is cheaper if added in the beginning I just don't know what I need and what is not really necessary. I plan to have this unit for at least 10 years and travel all over the US.

summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #2

Hello, I was told 13'500 btu was plenty and on my recent maiden voyage to Fla. it cooled the trailer very fast in 86 degree weather. Mine is a 273 27' box. I have 30amp and it did the a-c water heater and fridge and tv and lights. I did have trouble with a weak breaker in the pedestal tripping with all that, but the C.G. replaced it and no further problem. This tells me I am probably close to max (30 A.) with all the above mentioned things drawing at once. But I dont wish I had 50 amp in mine. Also, I bought a honda eu3000is genny and thats close to 30 amp so it should be enough........As for the TV you have I think a WDH will be a must. I have a gmc 2500hd and it squats like crazy without the WDH .

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #3

What size Engine does the truck have?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply that helps. I went to the RV show in Wilton Mall that Albany RV put on not intending on getting a new trailer that day but I ordered it and am doing the research now backwards I know but they had good discounts and I did not want to miss out. Can I ask what are you pulling your trailer with and how did it pull.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

My truck has the Eco Tech 5.3
Old 03-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #6

With a half ton truck your issue will always be PAYLOAD for towing. I don't know what engine you have, but the 5.3 should be plenty of engine for you (unless you spend a LOT of time in the Rockies). Payload and braking are your limiting abilities.

Your AC options depend where and how you camp. Your trailer isn't terribly big at 28 feet. A 13.5K btu is a standard AC. The 15K is a nice upgrade. I would guess most of your camping will be in the northern mid-Atlantic area. I would expect the 15K to be plenty of AC for 99% of your trips. Every once in a while you might camp somewhere with no tree cover, 95 degrees and 90% humidity and the AC might struggle a little bit...

Personally we stayed with the 15K in our trailer because I don't want to be limited to sites with 50 amp power. A lot of local state parks have limited or no 50 amp sites. My thoughts are that if its too hot for the 15K AC to keep us cool at night, its too hot for me to camp.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

with the 3.42 Rear Axle ratio
Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #8

Summit, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new truck and rig. Happy camping
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit View Post
Thanks for the reply that helps. I went to the RV show in Wilton Mall that Albany RV put on not intending on getting a new trailer that day but I ordered it and am doing the research now backwards I know but they had good discounts and I did not want to miss out. Can I ask what are you pulling your trailer with and how did it pull.
I bought mine from Albany RV as well. Good luck with getting your phone calls returned......but you may have better luck.. Anyway my octane 273 towed great with my 2500hd duramax and reese dual cam WDH. I had it at 85 once on a straight road with no wind. That was just a test though as most of the time I was at about 65 or as traffic permitted. Check all the WDH with sway control and decide for yourself which seems to make the ,most sense. Thats what I did as I had no idea of one or another. If you ask opinions on this you will probably get everyone telling you the one they have is the best.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

as far as the trailer is concerned, yes, and yes. Two ac units is much better than one. look through the posts here concerning ac units and there are alot of us who wish we had two installed rather than one. I have a 15k unit and keep thinking of adding another. as for 30 amp or 50 amp, once again, go with the 50 amp. you will probably have to have 50 amp anyways if you go with 2 ac units. this is just my opinion, but if money is not an issue, go for it.

No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote