Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #1

New To Camping and Have a few questions.

I recently purchased a 2014 GMC 1500 z71 tow Rating is 9600 max. I have ordered a new Jayco 28bhbe the trailer is on order and they haven't begun building it yet. The salesman informed me that I have plenty of truck to pull this beast and the numbers back that. I wanted to get real world opinions. I plan to pull this long distances and have a trip planned from NY to NC then VA back to NY. Also I wanted to know about the pros and cons of 30amp vs 50amp service as I can still add the 50amp? Also I got the 15k btu ac but should I also add a bedroom ac unit. Everything is cheaper if added in the beginning I just don't know what I need and what is not really necessary. I plan to have this unit for at least 10 years and travel all over the US.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Hello, I was told 13'500 btu was plenty and on my recent maiden voyage to Fla. it cooled the trailer very fast in 86 degree weather. Mine is a 273 27' box. I have 30amp and it did the a-c water heater and fridge and tv and lights. I did have trouble with a weak breaker in the pedestal tripping with all that, but the C.G. replaced it and no further problem. This tells me I am probably close to max (30 A.) with all the above mentioned things drawing at once. But I dont wish I had 50 amp in mine. Also, I bought a honda eu3000is genny and thats close to 30 amp so it should be enough........As for the TV you have I think a WDH will be a must. I have a gmc 2500hd and it squats like crazy without the WDH .
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

What size Engine does the truck have?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply that helps. I went to the RV show in Wilton Mall that Albany RV put on not intending on getting a new trailer that day but I ordered it and am doing the research now backwards I know but they had good discounts and I did not want to miss out. Can I ask what are you pulling your trailer with and how did it pull.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #5

My truck has the Eco Tech 5.3
Old 03-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

With a half ton truck your issue will always be PAYLOAD for towing. I don't know what engine you have, but the 5.3 should be plenty of engine for you (unless you spend a LOT of time in the Rockies). Payload and braking are your limiting abilities.

Your AC options depend where and how you camp. Your trailer isn't terribly big at 28 feet. A 13.5K btu is a standard AC. The 15K is a nice upgrade. I would guess most of your camping will be in the northern mid-Atlantic area. I would expect the 15K to be plenty of AC for 99% of your trips. Every once in a while you might camp somewhere with no tree cover, 95 degrees and 90% humidity and the AC might struggle a little bit...

Personally we stayed with the 15K in our trailer because I don't want to be limited to sites with 50 amp power. A lot of local state parks have limited or no 50 amp sites. My thoughts are that if its too hot for the 15K AC to keep us cool at night, its too hot for me to camp.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

with the 3.42 Rear Axle ratio
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #8

Summit, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new truck and rig. Happy camping
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit View Post
Thanks for the reply that helps. I went to the RV show in Wilton Mall that Albany RV put on not intending on getting a new trailer that day but I ordered it and am doing the research now backwards I know but they had good discounts and I did not want to miss out. Can I ask what are you pulling your trailer with and how did it pull.
I bought mine from Albany RV as well. Good luck with getting your phone calls returned......but you may have better luck.. Anyway my octane 273 towed great with my 2500hd duramax and reese dual cam WDH. I had it at 85 once on a straight road with no wind. That was just a test though as most of the time I was at about 65 or as traffic permitted. Check all the WDH with sway control and decide for yourself which seems to make the ,most sense. Thats what I did as I had no idea of one or another. If you ask opinions on this you will probably get everyone telling you the one they have is the best.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

as far as the trailer is concerned, yes, and yes. Two ac units is much better than one. look through the posts here concerning ac units and there are alot of us who wish we had two installed rather than one. I have a 15k unit and keep thinking of adding another. as for 30 amp or 50 amp, once again, go with the 50 amp. you will probably have to have 50 amp anyways if you go with 2 ac units. this is just my opinion, but if money is not an issue, go for it.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #11

So I have another question when I bought the truck I was planning on a smaller trailer than the 28bhbe this unit is around 6100lbs. I knew that my truck was rated to pull 9600lbs so I figured that I had a ton to go before I was close to my weight max. I just learned about the gcwr rating and am now a bit anxious about my combination. The gcwr is 15,000 the truck weighs in at 7200 according to the purchase sticker. Basically this reduces my max tow amount to 7800 then subtract occupants 2 adults 1 child and 2 medium sized dogs 500lbs. 300lbs give or take upgraded trailer options such as insulated under belly and additional insulation upgraded cabinets porcelain stool. This leaves me with 900lbs for cloths , plates and other stuff. Are my calculations correct and is this pushing the capacities of the truck? I don't want to make an expensive mistake any thoughts. how important is it to stay within the GCWR rating? Is the truck still capable of pulling the 9600 regardless of the gcwr? what stated monitor GCWR?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #12

My opinion is that it may be to much trailer for that truck and though it may pull it, you may have a less than enjoyable experience. Never push the capacities of anything. They are usually "optimistic". I'm just comparing it to my settup. I have a 27' trailer with two motorcycles and pulled it with a 2500hd duramax and it was no rocketship. I felt it was just right and wouldnt have wanted it with any less power or suspension. There will inevitably be some more wieght you forgot. Like maybe a full fresh water tank for the occasional boondock.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #13

Gcwr is the total of your truck and trailer combined and it is what your driveline is tested at as well as frame tensile strength. Basically, stay in that number and your transmission, axles, engine etc are all rated to operate with that total combined weight and not eat themselves and cause you to be a slowpoke holding up traffic.

If your truck weighs 7200lbs- that is a heavy weight! 7200lbs sounds like your GVWR which is the rating for the truck on its own axles fully loaded. I'd bet if you scaled your truck it weighs less.

I watch GCWR and axle ratings. Those are the sheer points where things can wear fast and burn up. If I can stay within GVWR of the tow vehicle- great- if not, I drive accordingly. That's just my take, that doesn't make it "right" or "by the book". In short I think you'll manage, but you'll have to be more aware of you and your surroundings and the fact you are loaded pretty much to cap.

Good luck and happy camping! [emoji1]
Old 03-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #14

Where should I look for the truck gvr numbers to make sure I am correct??
Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #15

You can find the GVWR number on a placard inside the drivers door. Also there will be a tag for payload- usually says combined weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed...

To get your wet weight, fuel up, head to the scales and weigh both axles. Subtract that sum from the GVWR listed on the door. That is the net payload available for people, pets, trailer tongue weight, etc.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #16

another thing, what happens when you want to take a trip out to the rockies? Be a shame to avoid one of the most scenic parts of the country because you couldnt make it up the inclines......Please dont get me wrong ,Im not trying to be a "negative nellie", I cant believe I just used that expression, I just think you would be better off with a 22'-24' or so with that truck. You wont believe how big it looks when its hooked up behind you.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #17

Ok so what rule of thumb should I follow? I have about 1,000lbs before I am at my GCWR according to the data I have prior to adding stuff. I would think that adding 500lbs is a lot of stuff plates and cloths food? How much room weight wise is a good rule of thumb. like I said the truck stats towing max is 9600 and I am pulling 6100 pound trailer as well as cloths and occupants of the truck if I am close to the GCWR why is the tow rating so much higher? I have the truck and the trailer is ordered smaller trailers are not much lighter maybe 500-1000lbs. Smurfs_of_War how far from your GCWR are you and how does your rig pull??
Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #18

My GCWR for my rig is 15600lbs. Tow rating is 9650lbs. Fully loaded for a 2 week trip we came in at 13300lbs GCW. Pulled like a freight train- no issues with power and handling nor any overheating issues engine braking and service braking was excellent. My GVWR with the trailer connected is something I won't get into on here hahahaha!

Your GCWR and Tow rating are figured with an empty truck and a skinny 150lbs driver and no options. Add weight to the truck, tow cap goes down accordingly.

In my opinion- and take it for what it's worth- as long as you are within your GCWR of your particular truck, you will be fine. There really is no set in stone rule. It's more of a comfort zone and easy calculator. You won't have issues pulling the trailer within those design specifications. Cross that rating by too much and you become a test pilot. I am not figuring your trucks GVWR into this since that is a whole other topic.

This begs the question- do you have a tow package on the Z71 of some sort? Typically includes upgarded cooling for transmission etc as well as trailer brake control?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #19

Looks like a REALLY nice trailer! I just bought a 2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS and can't wait for it to warm up enough to de-winterize and go camping!!!

But IMO, you may find your truck is overloaded with that trailer - sorry to say. There will be folks here who disagree with me, but most 1/2-tons (1500s) are overloaded with a travel trailer that has more than 500-600 pounds of tongue weight. It's not about towing capacity, but rather, the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING (GVWR) This
number, in pounds, is the maximum amount a tow vehicle
may weigh. Everything that contributes to the weight of the
tow vehicle is featured in this rating, including the weight of
the vehicle, driver and all passengers, fuel, payload, tongue
load of the trailer, weight of hitch and all optional
equipment. The GVWR is displayed on the driver ’s door or
door-lock pillar label of your GMC vehicle.

TONGUE (OR HITCH) WEIGHT The tongue weight is the
total amount of trailer weight that is pressing down on the
trailer hitch. Keep in mind that the way a trailer is loaded
affects the overall tongue weight and will also affect the
handling of the tow vehicle when trailering.

The specs on your truck says your payload capacity is 1890#. According to Jayco, your trailer GVWR is 9250#, which could put up to 900# or more on your hitch. That only leaves 900# or so in people, gear, etc. It will be close, and it will struggle when you get the trailer loaded. (And water weighs 8.2#/gallon.)

You'd be surprised how much all your food, clothes, and other stuff in your trailer weighs. If it were me, I'd go to a scale and weigh all axles, just to be aware.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #20

The above is good advice. My trailer is around 5500lbs loaded with a tongue weight over 700lbs. I am over payload by quite a bit and I had to make modifications to the truck to handle it all properly. Since we are losing two of our kids as of this year and all their associated junk, we opted out of an HD.