Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

New to Forum - from Idaho

I have read comments on this forum for some time before finally joining now. I have gotten some very useful information from users of the forum. I'm happy to be a member! Jayco makes a great product(s) and my experience is that they stand behind them!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Hi, welcome. Can you recommend and good campgrounds in Idaho? I'm planning a trip this june/july and have 5 days reserved at black sandy in montana near Helena. I've never been to Idaho. One of the few states I never got to. Someplace secluded in the mountains? Thanks.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum! I like what Jayco puts out as well, nice product.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Idaho Camping

Rick Danger - campgrounds in Idaho Mountains

Try going from Helena on I15 South to Highway 43 still in Montana then west to Highway 93 and continue going west to Salmon, Idaho. There are a couple of good campgrounds before reaching Salmon, Idaho. You can continue on Highway 93 going past Challis, Idaho and then take Highway 75 to Stanley, Idaho. On the road from Challis to Stanley there are some good forest service campgrounds (closer to Stanley) and a couple of adequate full hook up ones along the way as well. Not far from Stanley, Idaho is Red Fish lake. There are some good forest service campgrounds located there (no hook ups but good campgrounds). You will need to reserve the larger sites in advance. There is a dump station at the Red Fish Lake campgrounds and another between Red Fish Lake and Stanley. Near Stanley there is a full hook up campground called Elk Mountain RV Resort. It's not real high class but I have stayed there a couple of times and find it adequate (I actually like it). The highway from Montana to Salmon has a fairly steep switch back but you shouldn't have any problems with your rig. Good luck on your trip.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Welcome to the JOF and congrats on the new TT!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Welcome! My sister and her family live in Boise! Was just there last summer.

Rick asked about campgrounds in Idaho . . . where to begin.

Last summer we stayed at Smiley Creek Lodge, near Ketchum , in the Sawtooth National Forest - HWY 75. They have a number of full hookup and water/electric sites. Nice place with a good little restaurant and store. Smiley Creek Lodge - Sawtooth Idaho – Your Headquarters for Winter and Summer Fun

Further north, on US-12, is Three Rivers Resort, near Lowell. Motel, cabins, and RV sites nestled at the confluence of the middle fork of the Clearwater River, where the Lochsa and Selway rivers meet. They also have a rafting and kayaking company that operates out of the campground - and you can float the Selway and Clearwater on your own if you have tubes, etc . I HIGHLY recommend them! Three Rivers Resort and Rafting

About 5 miles upstream of Lowell, along the Selway (Selway Road), is a beautiful NFS campground - O'Hara. Level, paved sites - all shaded and some along the river. No hookups, but there is water on site and pit toilets. Beautiful campground!!!

And there are another 5 NFS campgrounds along US-12 going up and over Lolo Pass to Missoula, MT. Stayed at a couple over the years. Again - no hookups, but gorgeous campgrounds (and Jerry Johnson has natural hot springs).

Idaho is a GREAT state for camping!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 AM   #7

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #8

Thanks so much MM and Scout! Cant wait to check it out. Do you think I can wing it after I leave black sandy/Helena? (preferred, but end of june) Or should I reserve? I'll have two motorcycles and thought I might do some recon. with them while at black sandy find a nice one and reserve it then. I'll also have a 12' boat ,so lakes and streams would be nice. I'll check the ones you guys listed now and look for water.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
Thanks so much MM and Scout! Cant wait to check it out. Do you think I can wing it after I leave black sandy/Helena? (preferred, but end of june) Or should I reserve? I'll have two motorcycles and thought I might do some recon. with them while at black sandy find a nice one and reserve it then. I'll also have a 12' boat ,so lakes and streams would be nice. I'll check the ones you guys listed now and look for water.
I would definitely make reservations at Smiley Creek or Three Rivers. They can get busy at times - it is the tourist season. I always recommend reservations anywhere, though, just because I like the peace of mind knowing I have a place to stay when I get where I'm going.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote