Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

New to Forums but Not to Camping

Good afternoon! just a wanted to stop in and say hello. I have been lurking around these forums for several months and registered today. Recently purchased a new 2016 JAYCO Jayflight 26BH for myself and family (two hooligans (5yr old and 10 month old) and my beloved bride). We are not new too camping, just out grew our PUP so we decided to go travel trailer route. We live in Cocoa FL (where the space shuttle launched from years ago) and try to get out to a different camp site within a few hours from the house once a month for a weekend trip.

I tow with a 2014 Nissan Titan Pro-4X with Blue Ox Pro Series WDH w/sway control. Absolutely love that WDH.

We have not taken our new Jayco out on the maiden shakedown cruise yet, but are heading out in it this weekend. We took delivery about 2 weeks ago from Orlando RV in Winter Park, FL. We are excited to take the maiden voyage and hope for no surprises from the camper itself.

I am happy that I will be able to pull into camp and already be set up and the wife and hooligans (well at least the 5yr old hooligan) are happy that they do not have to trapes through the campground to go to the bathroom or shower any longer.

Looking forward to being a part of the forums and continuing to learn all about the Jayco line of campers here.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

Good morning (AZ time!) and hello to you. Congratulations on the new Jayflight and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Welcome to our world
Attached Images

2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

Howdy
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

Welcome fellow Floridian! Mine is on order from Orlando RV as well. How was your experience with them?

Congrats and we have a similar family: 4 year old and 10 month old.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to JOF!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post
Welcome fellow Floridian! Mine is on order from Orlando RV as well. How was your experience with them?

Congrats and we have a similar family: 4 year old and 10 month old.
Thanks! I have no complaints about them. Our salesman Eran (pronounced like Erin) was very helpful throughout the entire process. We have not had to take it back for any warranty work so I can't speak to that side of company. Looking forward to the shakedown cruise this weekend and hopefully will not have any warranty issues after this weekend either.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #9

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #10

Welcome from TX and a former Floridian!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
We live in Cocoa FL (where the space shuttle launched from years ago) and try to get out to a different camp site within a few hours from the house once a month for a weekend trip.
Welcome to the Forum... as you have already seen there are lots of good people and help on the JOF.

We live on the Island and we recently bought our 2nd Camper from ORV... '16 28BHBE.

Where do you normally go for your weekend trips? We do the same and have trips planned each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Blue Ox Pro Series WDH w/sway control. Absolutely love that WDH.
I purchased another Equalizer (had one on our old Hybrid that I let go with the camper) and I am not completely satisfied with it with the camper we have now and have heard good things about the Blue OX.

What made you choose the Blue OX?
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Welcome to the Forum... as you have already seen there are lots of good people and help on the JOF.

We live on the Island and we recently bought our 2nd Camper from ORV... '16 28BHBE.

Where do you normally go for your weekend trips? We do the same and have trips planned each month.

I purchased another Equalizer (had one on our old Hybrid that I let go with the camper) and I am not completely satisfied with it with the camper we have now and have heard good things about the Blue OX.

What made you choose the Blue OX?
We go to places typically within an hour. last month we went up to New Smyrna, to a place called Sugar Mill Ruins, was a good time, great shakedown cruise. We will also occassionly go to Jetty Park. For the quick weekenders we try to stay within an hour (so we can work, get home, loaded and to camp before dark). Outside of the weekend trips or for long weekends we will hit the keys or the west coast of Florida or up to Jekyl Island, GA. We are planning a trip to Tallahassee in October to go watch my beloved Seminoles play.

As for the Blue Ox, I have a buddy, who's damn near an expert on all things travel trailer. When I told him we were selling the pop up for a travel trailer, I picked his brain on everything from sizes, to features, to brands and price. The one thing he said constantly was the Blue Ox WDH w/Sway Control is the best on the market. The price, albeit higher than most, is worth it. It levels extremely quickly and quite easy and there is no sway at all when towing. The ability to be able to back up the rig without undoing any bars or parts from the hitch was a big part of his reasoning as well. And lastly, and probably the point that stuck the most, was "towing 7000lbs down the highway, not having the right hitch or the right set up could cause a severe accident and death, when towing with your kids in the truck, you want the best protection available, regardless of price". You cannot argue with that logic. I knew nothing about WDH's before buying this travel trailer. He explained the ins/outs of how they worked, why one brand or model was not sufficient and why the blue ox was my best choice (ease of initial installation/maintenance, ease of hooking up each time, quality of product,etc...) so, I took his advice, paid $500 and change for the Ox, and have not looked back. One of the biggest perks to me, is that the chains, after backing up and getting the TT positioned just right, the tool they give you to release the chains, prevents any snapping or flying parts or chains (I have read horror stories on here about people with different WDHs) that are scared to death when it comes time to unhook them because of the tension.

One point I will make is when you do get the TT position, put the jack down and start raising the TT tongue while it's still attached to TV and still has tension on chains, doing this will relieve a lot of that tension before you take the tool to release the chains entirely. Then pull the receiver end off the truck and the bars and stow them for the weekend. Could not be any easier. I cannot speak to any other brands, not good or bad, as the OX is the only WDH I have ever had or used. He has another brand on his (dealership installed wrong hitch when he bought his latest Toy Hauler) and he has not swapped it out yet because of the way they damn near permanently installed it on his tongue). That's the other thing about this one too, is there is no cutting/drilling or welding to install this hitch on the tongue, measure back from ball, bolt it down, torque bolts, and you are good to go.

The one thing that I will say about the OX, not a negative per say, but it weighs about 100 LBS by itself, it's a bulky heavy ass hitch, that's for sure. Like I said not a negative, but this is something that needs to be taken into consideration when you are looking at weight capacity on your hitch/tongue set up.

Overall, we are extremely happy with the 26BH, how it tows, the floor plan, the amentities, and the build quality. I have done a few modifications to it, but nothing major. I am extremely happy that I spent the extra cash and bought the OX for it as well, it does everything it says and allows me to pull this trailer seamlessly with my 2014 Nissan Titan Pro-4X, which is "rated" (supposedly) for just over 9000lbs.

If you are planning any upcoming trips here nearby soon, give a shout, we are always looking to get the camper out and go somewhere, and it would be nice to meet another local family that enjoys camping. I work on the Island, so we are not that far away!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #13

MIFL19H - Hey forgot to add to my last overly long "quick" reply, if you want to check the OX out in person, just shoot me a PM and I'll get you my address and you can come see it hooked up to truck and the ins/outs of it before you buy. Just let me know.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #14

Thanks for the info on the Blue OX… I may take you up on the offer to see one in person. Right now I am going to keep tweaking my Equalizer and Air Bag setup on my Truck, we have a 2 week trip planned to St Louis and back through Nashville (12 nights Camping) in July with 2 short 2 night trips before then to tweak it some more.

The 28BHBE I have is a big trailer both in height, weight and length so part of it is me getting comfortable towing it. I am with you… you have precious cargo (your family) with you when you are towing these campers so you always have to be cautious and careful and have comfort while towing.

If you haven't already you should make a trip to Moss Park in East Orange county, nice out of the way park to go to and easy to get to.

We are "State Park" style campers and up to this point have not had to/stayed at a private park as we like to be as rustic as possible (as much as you can get roughing it in your Camper ).

We spent 3 yrs camping in an X19H Hybrid (really enjoyed it but outgrew it like you and your PUP) and we picked up our new Camper in March (Custom Ordered in November) and have so far been to Moss Park, Blue Spring SP and currently have Lake Kissimmee SP, Lake Louisa SP, Jonathan Dickinson SP and Fort Clinch SP (Jan '17) reserved for this year for weekend trips, will probably add 3 or 4 more to round out the year.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote