Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

New (to me) 2001 29' Qwest

Hello all:

Greg here in Texas. Just bought my first real camper, 2001 29' Qwest tag.

I have had an OLD pop up as a teenager, and also own a retro cool 1965 GMC Mitchell cabover up in Colorado but this is my new toy!!!

I don't know if its just because its mine, but this thing really grows on me more and more everyday. I actually like no slide out...no water leaks, and extra storage, and my 2011 Ecoboost F-150 tows it great.

I really like the "L" shaped kitchen as it gains me some counter top space.

I think I got lucky, this one appears to have barely been used on the inside, some hail "character" dings in the nose but thats it, on the outside.

So far...I have done the following:
Added the shower head everyone brags about and used it this morning and works great.

Added a few LED's to the inside light fixtures to see if I like the color/brightness...so far so good on those. I can hear my inverter working its tail off when numerous lights are on so that helps, plus heat reduction is key here in TX. I am sure an inverter replacement is in my future. I am trying to sort out how much effort to put into prmitive 12V camping, or just concentrate on stuff when I have hook ups. I have two generators, one 600W and one 8500W I can carry if needed but the 8500 is loud as hell.

The hot water heater plug was seeping so I added an anode/drain style plug to that.

Measured this morning also for the toolbox/battery box mod on the tongue..LOVE that idea.

It appears to me that TV/stereo are low priorities for most RV'ers, but its a HIGH priority for me so I am currently deciding how I want to outfit my rig in that department. I already added a Vizio 19" in the bedroom on a double pivot mount so I can push it flush with the wall when not in use. Didn't think about removing the TV during towing but I think I will for an length of towing.

I have a 27" Vizio for the main room and for now, it will be simply sat on the table by the door for unlimited turning/moving/viewing. I am a big Direct tv fan so some added coax is in my future but for now I just bypassed the 12V swtich/wallplate.

I also have an older projector that I use outdoors at night on one of my EZ-up walls...its kinda cool and a conversation starter.

The fun part is I am a fabricator (steel mainly) and love building stuff. Also right at home with 220/110/12V wiring.

Its currently parked in my stall with hook ups at Texas Motor Speedway for this weekends racing action!!

I think thats it for now. Any ideas, thoughts, quirks about this model, etc are all welcome!!

Greg
Flower Mound, TX
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Greg. My BIL had a Qwest 5th wheel and loved it. Enjoy yours.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF, Greg. Great to have you join us. It sounds like you've got all kinds of things planned for your "new" TT so please take some photos so we can all see.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum...

2016 JayFlight X23F
11 Expedition EL
4 Girls under 8 yrs old
1 Wife
1 Dog
2 guinea pigs that stay home...
cbaka27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Well a couple of months in and I must throw out a couple of "Thanks".

To the guy I bought this trailer from, thanks for no suprises!! Everything so far is as advertised. To Jayco...I haven't towed a bunch of miles but have used/set-up/camped now four times and everything works like a freakin charm!! Do I wish I had double the AC capacity here in TX? Yeah...but it works fine so far.

I have added a battery disconnect since the 2001 model charger inverter seems to enjoy overcharging the battery and I just put a new one in. Im usually hooked up so its only for short trips on 12V. Need to look at an upgrade to the inverter/charger.

Vortex fan upgrade overall is awesome, but the screen likes to suck up to the fan blade on hi and make a lovely rubbing sound. I don't use it enough to worry about it. The goofy sheepskin square plug is worth every penny to keep the suns heat out during the day. If I forget to put it in the fan opening, the AC will struggle to keep 78 degrees. I also think the plug is adding to my fan blade rubbing issue upon plug removal since it pushes on that screen whenever its installed...ohh well..no big deal.

I still wanting a better TV solution. I know lots of folks on here could care less about TV but I like to have it. I have my 19" flat screen in the bedroom and a 26" ish that is jsut n its stand in the main room but only one feed from the dish since I have single coax. Trying to look at some of these wireless solutions to see if I can put one "hub" somehwere and both TV's feed off of it, with the ability to watch two different shows. Also would love a tie in to a stereo of some sort with a wireless speaker that could be placed anywhere....with TV audio, or radio/stereo audio playing. I know geek stuff but hey, its mine! lol

Haven't tested the furnace yet, but based on Dallas weather, it will be November before I even THINK about that.

For all of the RVQ grill haters....I see some of it. The rail on my trailer is loose on one end and I haven't looked at how to get behind there to secure it properly. I am really toying with just making a table specific to the RVQ. Then I can move it under the awning as needed since I have two hoses and some extra "rope" as needed. I did find that it works great as an oven/warmer to make campfire type potatoes in 102 degree heat in TX without warming up the inside of the trailer, so I am going to keep it around. I haven't tried burgers or steaks on it yet....charcoal in the park bbq seems just fine for that.

I need to also do some curtain/blind upgrades but mine still function-ish.

I also added an Igloo tabletop ice maker. That little dude is amazing. Ice in about 12 minutes. I have been bagging some in zip locs and putting in the freezer. Its a bit heavy, and the fan pumps out some hot air, but still handy. $128 I think from Wal Mart "Site to Store".

Best purchase addition so far? Simple dustbuster vaccum and a swiffer. I can clean the floor, cushions, everything, in about 8 minutes and it looks new! Get one!!

I also added a broom handle type clamp in the wardrobe next to my bed and it holds a shorty 20ga single shot just perfect!! (I have no kids)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0524.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	4560
Just wanted to jump on with a follow-up to how happy I am with my used Jayco purchase!!
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote