Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #1

New to Me J-1207

I was just given a J-1207KB. (We can't tell if it's a 1995 or a 1994, Registration says 1995, but the plate on the side says Made in 9/94)

I've already made a short laundry list of things I need to do (Some cause it needs it, some are for my own piece of mind)

- New Tires (Have no idea the age of the existing ones, including the spare)
- New LP pressure regulator (existing has broken off where it screws into the Tank, plus the hose appears abraided)
- I assume the Hydraulic surge brake needs some kind of maintenance
- The 12V battery is dead
- Bearings be repacked?

And that's without me even opening it up yet. I can't even open it till a week from Saturday, since it's supposed to rain for the next 8 days straight.

Looking forward to figuring this stuff out, and getting some good use out of it.
Thankfully, we're only planning on using it in the backyard this season (We'll still tent it out on our normally planned trips) till we're sure it's safe and ready.
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #2

So poking around the website's of local dealers, one of them has an "orientation" for new camper owners. They charge $150 for this. The ad points out that they cover all systems on the unit, plus discuss all the routine maintenance.

What's your thoughts on this?

Until I found this forum an hour ago (and I'm super pleased it's active) I was seriously considering this. I am still considering it.
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

I think hands-on is always the best way. Snoop around and you will figure it all out. Talk to others at a campground and save your 150
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Mpking,

Welcome to JOF

Sounds like you have a sound plan, and the backyard camping will work out great allowing you time to become familiar with the PUP. IMO save your money on the dealer orientation, plenty of PUP owners here at JOF that will help you along the way.

Feel free to jump over to the JOF "Jayco Pop Up Campers" forum and start a new thread with some pics of your PUP. Also, if you run into some problems post pics as well, they can be helpful in working toward a resolution.

I'm sure if you think about it, there may be a family member or friend that is familiar with PUPS that may be helpful as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote