Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

New to me m-1007 pop up!

After years of car/tent camping we are moving up into the world of RVing in the most tent way we can.
I have purchased a used 2008 model 1007 and can't wait to get out for a weekend.

Any special advice for a new jayco owner?
Jetsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

We recently upgraded from a 2015 1007UD to a Jay Flight travel trailer, we really did enjoy our popup. Only real advice I can offer is to set it up before heading out on your first trip to ensure you are comfortable with it's operation. Make sure everything works as expected so you aren't hampered with issues when you arrive at your campsite. Enjoy!
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

There are a ton of check lists but here are a few

Tires how old? over 5, get new, showing cracks bubbles, new
brakes if you have them, test em, even surge brakes need checking
lights. Make sure your tail, running and turn lights are good, backup nice
Insurance got to have it, liability a must.

look up a popup specific list but here are a few

Level it side to side with blocks or whatever. chock it!!!!, it can roll away
drop the tongue, don't remove the chains until it is off the ball hitch.
drive up and park the car, then level front to back with tongue jack.
Raise the roof, extend beds, etc. ( don't crawl out on back bed until stab jacks are down)
Lower stabilization jacks to prevent shaking.
Enjoy!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

We bought a 2010 M-1007 this past December. I'm not sure what options would make yours different from mine over that 2 year period but we've used it twice now and so I probably have a little experience to offer you as to what we learned if you had questions. I would agree with setting it up in your driveway for a dry run to see what problems, if any, you may have. Mine has the 3-way fridge, the furnace, a 6-gallon water heater and an add-on air conditioner on the roof. I just installed a 4-place bike rack on the roof a week and a half ago.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
We bought a 2010 M-1007 this past December. I'm not sure what options would make yours different from mine over that 2 year period but we've used it twice now and so I probably have a little experience to offer you as to what we learned if you had questions. I would agree with setting it up in your driveway for a dry run to see what problems, if any, you may have. Mine has the 3-way fridge, the furnace, a 6-gallon water heater and an add-on air conditioner on the roof. I just installed a 4-place bike rack on the roof a week and a half ago.

Fantastic. 8 also want to put a bike rack on it. I would love to know how you did it.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #6

I started with the rack (the two bars that run across the width of the camper). Here's the one model used but Google it for the best price. I bought at Amazon at the time. I bought model SR1020.

http://www.sportrack.com/p/camp-trailer-rack-system.

Then I used the Swagman upright roof rack (x4). I got one at Amazon and the other three at Wal-Mart. I should have gotten all at WM so they would all be keyed the same. Again, Google for the best price but here's the one from WM.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swagman-U...-Bike/50402957.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #7

Also, I installed the sportrack WITHOUT drilling into the roof. I only had to buy a few extra hardware pieces to supplement what they provided. Now I can adjust the space between the two bars on the roof top along the t-slots located on the roof of my M-1007. I don't have pics but I can try to take some (maybe tomorrow) and show you how it looks.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #8

That would be great. I got mine to the house today. Opened it up and cleaned out all the mud dauber nests that were inside.
Mine doesn't seem to have a way to mount a rack on it.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #9

I didn't make it out to where I have it stored today (2 miles away). I will tomorrow and show you the rails that were on my camper when I bought it (appears factory installed) and how I mounted the bike rack.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 06-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #10

So here's a few pics of my rail that I believe was factory installed. I figured they all came this way.

This first pic is a front view. The second pic is up close of the rail that is on the left side of the first pic. The third pic is from behind. The fourth pic is a close up of the T-rail. You will see the difference between the second and forth pic is that I took the end cap off (and left it off) in order to slide the bike rake T-mounts into the rail. The last two pics show the bike rack mount and then I lifted one of the arms up that would grab the frame of the bike. I have three bike rails on the camper right now and a fourth one in my garage I have not put on there yet. I hope all this helps.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #11

Oh wow, yeah mine does not have that. But I think I could manage doing something like that myself.
I will have to look into it.
Also, yours is so clean looking compared to the one I just bought. I havent had a chance to go scrub it down. it was kept outside on a farm for the last 4 years. So it has a nice layer of weather to the outside, but the inside was amazing. I chipped out about a dozen mud dauber shells, but some of the stuff in still had plastic wrap on it from the factory.
The guy I bought it from had it for 9 years and only took it out 4 times.
I will try to put up some pictures of the top of mine tomorrow. Its too dark out now.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #12

Don't think those rails are stock. Bought ours new and I don't remember it being an option even. Had the same racks on ours, but they lag bolted right into the edge of the roof.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #13

Great! I'd like to see it closer. The bike rack you see on my camper actually comes with lag bolts that you have to drill the edge of your roof to mount. When I saw the T-rail option with the hardware they provided, I decided not to put holes in my roof. However, that bike rack is design to drill into the outside edges and catch some wood framing that's underneath the fiberglass roof.

I am the third owner of my camper. I was extremely impressed with the interior and it still had a new smell to it. Nothing still wrapped in plastic but everything seemed to work.

We are going to give it a good workout in July with a nine-day, three state park trek that will take us from SW Michigan where I'm at up to Lake Superior and back. It will be close to a 900 mile round trip. I guess I'll see just how good the tires are. [emoji4]

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 06-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Don't think those rails are stock. Bought ours new and I don't remember it being an option even. Had the same racks on ours, but they lag bolted right into the edge of the roof.

I saw that picture on another post when I was researching The Forum for bike rack ideas. That's where I got my bike rack idea (thanks). I was frustrated that I could not find an economical T-rail system to go with what was on my camper and thought I would just have to drill into the T-rail to mount it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had hardware components to allow me to attach to those two rails. Mine is a 2010 and I had mentioned earlier that I presumed it was a standard item on the camper.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254