Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

New to pop-up camping

I just bought a Jayco 1206 pop up and am taking my family cross country. I am hoping to learn a lot on this forum to prepare.
We have taken it on one test camp and it was fun. Haven't figured the best way to store things, yet.
Also having some power/battery problems. Will surf the site for relevant topics first.
optocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on the new pop up. We have done many cross country trips over the 9 yrs of owning the PUP. We loved it. We just traded it in last November for a TT but wanted one with lots of windows because we liked the PUP open feeling.

It does take a little planning but just keep it simple and you will do fine. I am not sure how many of you there are, there were only 3 of us but we used the single sterlite drawers for each person for clothes and we stored them in the PUP while traveling. When we arrived they can be just stacked upon one another. Some people used duffel bags for each. It all depends what works for you. We also kept an overnight bag with one change of clothes, soap and toothbrushes in case we had to hotel it on the road or for just a quick change in the tow vehicle. It does take a bit of planning to get comfortable with all that you can and cannot live without. It does take some planning but it all works out. Take care.

Also check out these sites too that are PUP specific. I have gotten a lot of helpful information from people on these sites.

www.popupexplorer.com

www.popupportal.com

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum optocop and congrats on your 1206. As far as storage goes there are many ways, just find what works for your family, and don't take too much stuff. When we traveled a long distance with our pup we bit the bullet and hit a laundramat for a few hours 1/2way thru our trip. We could take 1/2 the clothes along which saved space. We also shopped locally for food every couple days which also saved space.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

We had a 1206 from 1989 and used it all the time. We did have storage problems, but since there was only 2 of us it worked out good. Made some mods to ours and it was all for the better. congrats and good luck Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, optocop. Popups are great, enjoy the 1206
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Storage is pretty much an inherent problem with pop-ups and, unfortunately, there's never enough. My family of four camped in one for 14 years and we were constantly shuttling items stored on the beds (during the day) to the dinette or floor (at night). Other less frequently needed items were stored in the truck. We improvised ways to maximize storage. My wife made shoe bags (you can also buy these) that hung over the ends of the beds. I installed a paper towel holder and paper plate dispenser on the ceiling. We hung baskets in the corners to hold small kitchen items and food. The "candy canes" (the bars that support the canvas in the wings) are great places to hang towels and washcloths to dry during the day.

If we went camping anywhere for more than a few days (or weekend), I took along a small 1.7 cu/ft refrigerator.

The camping season before I bought the TT, my wife and I went camping "sans sons" and used their end of the pop-up as a huge storage closet. It made life much more comfortable as it eliminated the constant hassle of having to move things around between day/night modes.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

Hi there optocop

Congrats on your new Jayco 1206. Below are a few things to keep in mind:

Brakes & Controller: Based on Jayco URL, I see the 1206 comes with Full electric brakes. And, its weigts are (dry 2,300) - GVW (3,450). When calculating "loaded" weights, I'd use the 3,450 lbs number. With this in mind, I would ensure the Tow Vehicle has an Electric brake controller. And, it's a "Proportional sensor" Brake Controller technology - Like the Prodigy P2 or P3 models. Personally, I'd never by the "Time Delay" Brake controller again. IMO: Time Delay should be illegal and pulled from all store shelves. But, that's a topic for a different thread. For more details of P2, surf: http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...w-17-0091.html

Transmission Cooler: Most fehicles with automatic transmission coolers are built for "average load" (NOT towing) cooling needs. For towing, majority of base vehicles will need cooling upgrades. re: An aux ATF cooler must be installed. If installing an aux ATF cooler, I would focus on the LPD (LowPressure Drop) design. And, I would pick the size rated for an attached 5,000 lbs trailer. (aka: With combined 24,000 - 28,000 lbs range) Especially when the aux cooler is the most front rad. For good brands, I would research Tru-Cool or Hayden brands. re:
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ool-coolers-hd
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ansaver-cooler
My Tow Vehicle:
Summer: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ummerRAD-1.jpg
Winter: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...interRAD-2.jpg

TV's Hitch size. Assume the loaded Jayco is 3,500 lbs and one loads their PUP with 15% tonque weight, their PUP's "estimated" tonque weight is 525 lbs. Ensure the Tow Vehicle's hitch can support up to 5,25 lbs. re: Possible a Class IV hitch many need to be installed as well. Note: Always best to "scale weight" the PUPs tonque weight and "average" loaded weight. And, to ensure the PUP is loaded with Tonque Weight between 13%-15%. Loading outside these numbers can create uncontrollable sway or loose of traction on sharp corners.

TV's rear suspension improvement: I hear many Pups cannot have a WDS (Weight Distribution System). When connected, the rear of the Tow Vehicle may sag. Especially if the rear of your Tow Vehicle is loaded down as well. If you want to removed "rear sag" or create a much better ride, one can install Air Bags or Timbren SES units. If wondering, I have Timbren SES units in my previous Tow Vehicle and my new (replacement) Tow Vehicle. For my "install it and leave it" desires, I love Timbren SES units. For more details, surf:
http://www.timbren.com/ses-van-suv.htm

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...OutsStop-1.jpg

Hope these items help...

Again. Congrats on your Jayco 1206 purchase (and future enjoyment).

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Optocop,

Welcome to the Jayco forums, and you will find that there is a great member knowledge base within the forums to help you with any questions that may come up.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
snip........And, to ensure the PUP is loaded with Tonque Weight between 13%-15%. Loading outside these numbers can create uncontrollable sway or loose of traction on sharp corners........snip
Depending on some PUP floor plans, PUP CCC limits, TV GVWR, etc., obtaining a 13%-15% tongue weight can be difficult. Most RV and hitch manufactures recommend a 10%-15% (of loaded trailer weight) loaded tongue weight, so this weight range should be acceptable based on the PUP in question (if 13%-15% can't be obtained).

Spike99, I do however agree with you 100% that the longer and heavier trailers should use the 13%-15% loaded tongue weight range, and I recommend it all the time as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #9

congrats and I'm envious of your cross country trip. I hope to do that with my family in the not so far off future. My parents took us cross country in a starcraft pop, back in the late 60's. Now that I'm camping with myfamily and there are only 4 of us compared to 5 way back then, I don't know how my folks did it. We never ate out, never stopped at a hotel, and it was a great trip! I was 5 years old back then, and to this day, it is one of my fondest memories of camping with my family! I hope you get the same results!
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #10

optocop 1 mod I made to my pup was a piece of 4" dia sch. 40 pvc u-bolted to the rear bumper for awning / canopy poles. From the pvs I used an electrical " male adaptor", as I remember, and a plumbing threaded plug for the end's. I