Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
My 3 year old girl loves to run the stabilizers up and down with the crank. I have to start them (loosen them) and finish it off but the kids will probably enjoy helping to set up the trailer.

Let us know how the Raptor handles the trailer if that is what you are towing with. They have pretty low payload to begin with (around 1000lbs) and with 4 adults and 2 kids in the vehicle I think you will be over payload with the tongue weight of the trailer which will probably be around 1000lbs. Hopefully you got a good weight distribution hitch with the trailer.

What are the tow ratings for your truck? Some of the 2012 Raptors were limited to 6000lbs.

Cheers
Subaru, you mentioned something I've been concerned about - the tow capacity of the Raptor. While the engine can handle it, I know the rear suspension is what's going to make us "pack light". The camper is 6100 give or take a few hundred. If we keep max weight to 7000, I'm hoping with the two boys and my wife and I, we should be good. IF we cannot keep the weight well under 9000, I may look at air bags for suspension, however, I'm totally open for suggestions here.
Likz2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #22

There should be a yellow sticker on the inside door of the trailer that will give you the as delivered weight. 6135lbs is the dry weight adding propane, batteries and options will increase this. I would guess that your trailer weighs closer to 6600lbs as delivered and with full propane and batteries.

Most people add about 1000lbs worth of stuff when ready to camp. Keeping that under 400lbs would be very tight if trying to stay under 7000lbs total.

You definitely need to check out your tow ratings. You can call a dealership with your VIN number to get the details or you may have them in your manual. Or you can try this...
VIN Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Your engine is certainly fine but you may not have extra transmission cooling?? Just guessing but if your tow rating is only 6000lbs that may be the case.

Payload and GVWR and Axle Ratings are all on the drivers door jamb stickers. If you give us those numbers we can probably help you out. You should also check the load rating on your tires. Not sure if the 35" BFG are lower rated than typical "P" tires given their size.

If the suspension is really the weakest link (probably the case) then adding air bags to stiffen up the rear end and using a good WDH to transfer weight back to the front axle will probably help a fair bit.

I can tell you that you will probably be over capacity on at least one limit (GVWR) while towing but whether you are ok with that is up to you. You will find out on your first trip I guess.
Lots of us on this site have upgraded tow vehicles after buying trailers that are not really 1/2 ton towable even though all the numbers would say they are.

Get your tow ratings and we can help you out a bit more.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #23

Thanks for that VIN decoder link, however it confirmed my suspicions, unfortunately. The GVWR is 7300 (Payload is 13.5K Front axel is 4K, rear is 3.7K.), so if I understand correctly, we might be packing just suitcases in that trailer, and not much else??

Quote:
There should be a yellow sticker on the inside door of the trailer that will give you the as delivered weight. 6135lbs is the dry weight adding propane, batteries and options will increase this. I would guess that your trailer weighs closer to 6600lbs as delivered and with full propane and batteries.

Most people add about 1000lbs worth of stuff when ready to camp. Keeping that under 400lbs would be very tight if trying to stay under 7000lbs total.

You definitely need to check out your tow ratings. You can call a dealership with your VIN number to get the details or you may have them in your manual. Or you can try this...
VIN Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Your engine is certainly fine but you may not have extra transmission cooling?? Just guessing but if your tow rating is only 6000lbs that may be the case.

Payload and GVWR and Axle Ratings are all on the drivers door jamb stickers. If you give us those numbers we can probably help you out. You should also check the load rating on your tires. Not sure if the 35" BFG are lower rated than typical "P" tires given their size.

If the suspension is really the weakest link (probably the case) then adding air bags to stiffen up the rear end and using a good WDH to transfer weight back to the front axle will probably help a fair bit.

I can tell you that you will probably be over capacity on at least one limit (GVWR) while towing but whether you are ok with that is up to you. You will find out on your first trip I guess.
Lots of us on this site have upgraded tow vehicles after buying trailers that are not really 1/2 ton towable even though all the numbers would say they are.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #24

The 13.5k lbs rating is likely your gross combined vehicle rating. So 13500 - 7300 lbs = 6200lbs tow rating.

Even with a dry trailer you are over your tow rating. And the max tow rating is usually with only a 150lbs driver in the tow vehicle and weight or passengers added to the tow vehicle reduce the max tow rating.

Found this link....
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad =rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.at. ford.com%2FSiteCollectionImages%2F2011_NA%2FArticl e%2520Images%2FSept2011%2F2012_Raptor_Specs.pdf&ei =l0WIVdSIH4qxyQT9k4OwCw&usg=AFQjCNGoa_THyPQ6CHHmwP XLIROvKH11YA&sig2=7iUjTIqbN4_K6Fxs7Oufvg&bvm=bv.96 339352,d.aWw

Assuming you have the supercrew you have 1020 lbs of payload capacity.
If you weigh over 150lbs remove a bit from above.
Remove your wife's weight.
Remove your children's weight.
Anything else in your vehicle? Tonneau cover, floor mats, tow chains, jumper cables, bush bar, ..........

Lets assume that you weigh 150lbs and your family weighs 300lbs and there is nothing else in your truck.

1020-300 = 720lbs left over for the tongue weight of the trailer. Oh I forgot about the hitch. That is probably another 80-100lbs.

So 620lbs payload left over.

The dry tongue weight of the 28BHBE is 610lbs. In reality it will be much higher. If it weighs in at 6600lbs and you add only 200lbs of stuff your tongue weight will be a minimum of 680lbs (10%). Most use about 12 to 13% for tongue weight though. So it will likely be 800 to 900 lbs. A conservative estimate puts you 200lbs over payload.

Will your truck self destruct? Probably not, but take it easy and visit a CAT scale asap with your trailer so you know for sure.

Keep your information screen (if you have one) showing your transmission temp if you are towing above your rating. That would be my biggest concern. If anyone else knows if the Raptors have the extra transmission cooler speak up.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I wouldn't be comfortable towing that trailer with a Raptor. Not enough payload.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #25

Found this in another thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Jay View Post
I have a 2015 28BHBE. It is the Elite model with fibreglass exterior. Yellow sticker weight on delivery is 7189lbs. Our last trip we were loaded for 7 days boondocking so we were full fresh water tanks (700lbs)ish. Total trailer weight was 8800lbs, 1200lbs on tongue. I believe you will have no problem towing with your truck. I will usually scale my rig if i find a weigh station that is closed just to satify my own curiosity as i get to weigh for free

Happy camping.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I would suggest the boys do the manual crank, you don't want them running the drill too long and stressing the frame.
Also the drill could bind when the stabilizer hits the ground causing it to twist out of a young childs grip possibly causing an injury...this actually happened to a full grown camping buddy of mine. His wife asked him a question while using the drill, he became distracted, the drill grabbed and turned the battery into his chin. Nothing was seriously hurt but his pride though, just a bruise.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Also the drill could bind when the stabilizer hits the ground causing it to twist out of a young childs grip possibly causing an injury...this actually happened to a full grown camping buddy of mine. His wife asked him a question while using the drill, he became distracted, the drill grabbed and turned the battery into his chin. Nothing was seriously hurt but his pride though, just a bruise.....

Great point, I found it very easy to strain a wrist if not holding the drill correctly and expecting the kick when the stabs stop.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Great point, I found it very easy to strain a wrist if not holding the drill correctly and expecting the kick when the stabs stop.
It happened to me. Not on stab jacks, but same concept. The drill stopped turning the object and instead turned my wrist and I wasn't expecting it; resulted in a tweaked wrist. It hurt a bit, but I eventually got over it. It could really do some damage to a kid's bones though if you're not careful.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #29

Quote:
snip...

Cheers
I'm one of these. Numbers and the real world sometimes just don't add up.

I'd say in addition to the payload problem you will likely face, you'll have a saggy rear end problem. The suspension on those trucks is designed to flex for offroading, which is exactly what it will do under the 1000-1200 lb tongue weight of that trailer.

Also, with the length of this trailer, you'll want to be MUCH closer to 15% on the tongue than 10%. If you go with the minimum 10%, and with the big tires and soft rear suspension on the truck, that thing is going to be wiggling like a drunken monkey behind you.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #30

Lots of issues to consider here. I have my work cut out for me before the first camping excursion, because I certainly don't need to drag a drunken monkey on vacation with us.

Thanks guys for all the advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm one of these. Numbers and the real world sometimes just don't add up.

I'd say in addition to the payload problem you will likely face, you'll have a saggy rear end problem. The suspension on those trucks is designed to flex for offroading, which is exactly what it will do under the 1000-1200 lb tongue weight of that trailer.

Also, with the length of this trailer, you'll want to be MUCH closer to 15% on the tongue than 10%. If you go with the minimum 10%, and with the big tires and soft rear suspension on the truck, that thing is going to be wiggling like a drunken monkey behind you.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likz2sail View Post
Lots of issues to consider here. I have my work cut out for me before the first camping excursion, because I certainly don't need to drag a drunken monkey on vacation with us.

Thanks guys for all the advice!!!
2 kids right? I'd say you're full up on monkey problems! LOL!

Good luck, and welcome to the fray!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #32

Any updates? Have you been out for a weekend yet?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #33

Subaru - Haven't been out yet, and it looks like early August before we can go. Thinking our first trip out will be around the corner....literally. I have the TT stored at the AF Base here and there is a famcamp that next to the RV storage lot. So we figured it might be a good trial run for us before we head out into the wild blue yonder.

Back to the truck, I added a 12k tow capacity tow bar and an anti-sway bar. So far, all is good and the trailer tows real well. The rear of the truck is level and I haven't felt the need to install air bags (just yet). Thinking if I keep it level and under 9k, we should be good with the Raptor. Hoping.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #34

Sounds good. Glad it is working out for you but sorry you have to wait until August to get out there!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #35

Arcadia might be a good close option too. I'm local (and prior military too!) so let me know if I can help in anyway.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #36
Lost in the Woods

Congrats on the 28BHBE, great floorplan you'll love it.

Electric leveling jacks are a source of headaches for all tow trailers and I would not trade my manual jacks with a cordless drill and Camco Adaptor (Available at most Walmarts and Camping stores).

Have fun
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote