Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Welcome To Jayco Owners Forums > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #1

New to the Forum - Help Needed on Tankless Water Heater

We own a 2014 Greyhawk which we love. We have a Girard tankless water heater (GSWH-1M) which has only worked sporadically. It has been repaired once and is now back in at the dealer for more repairs. It has only worked about 50% of the time. We understand how the outside temperature and water pressure affects these, but we have had no luck getting it to work consistently. Currently, it is completely broke.

We have heard that Jayco has replaced some of them with a standard 6 gallon tank model. We would be interested in doing this. Any help in how to get Jayco to do this? We are close to being our of warranty.

Glad to be part of the forum.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Advise your dealer that you are calling Jayco directly --- and then do so immediately before your warranty expires. After 18 months of fiddling around with the Girard in our Greyhawk, we asked our dealer to replace it. They were on our side but Jayco was not wanting to authorize it until we made one more trip. When our dealer explained that we'd made several previous trips with problems, the Jayco rep said, "Well if this is such a problem, why have I not heard directly from them?"

When the dealership's service manager told me that, I called the Jayco rep that minute to relay personally our unhappiness with the Girard. He then agreed to authorize replacement with a 6-gallon Suburban.

The new unit has been great. Go get yours while you are under warranty. It will put an end to alternating scalding with cold showers.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Site Team

I advise anyone with a major issue to notify Jayco by email
( service@jayco.com ),
you need to include your VIN# with the email or you will get an email requesting it. Tell them the whole story and how many times you had it in for repairs and it still does not work. I personally would recommend recommending a regular LP/Electric Hot water heater (6 gal for no tub, 10 gal if you have a tub) This way you have an official paper trail from Jayco.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #4

We've only had our 2015 Jayco for a couple months. This spring the water heater started cutting in and out. No longer under warranty, I looked online for solutions. From what I could tell there was an airflow problem or bad sensor. I opened it up. I didn't see any mud dobber nests or anything out of the ordinary. I didn't have time to pursue it in detail until I got home. Today, I opened it up and found about 3 crispy fried stink bugs inside. They must have shook loose on the 8 hour drive home. I grabbed a leaf blower and aired out the water heater. About 15 more of these crispy critters came tumbling out cooked to well done. I went and ran the hot water. The problem was solved. It ran for 30 minutes without cutting off. These bugs were completely out of sight originally. You don't have to be a mechanic to try this. Just remove the cover and blow it out. It's worth a try.
GSofTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tankless water heater