Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #1

new to the forum soon to be owner

Going from tent camping to trailer time somewhere in middle America. Looking at a Jay Feather 29L or a Jay Flight 29QBS. We like the quad bunks in back for the boys plus friends. I have deals on the table for both but Feather is a 1000 pounds lighter set up the same. I have a Nissan Armada as a TV with tow package. My gut says to go with the Feather...thoughts?
four4camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #2

I couldn't find the 29QBS on Jayco's website, so I don't know it's weight specs.

If you have a 2011 Nissan Armada here are the specs.

Maximum towing capacity (lbs)[*]

SV with Tow Package (2WD)

SV with Tow Package (4WD)

SL/Platinum (2WD)

SL/Platinum (4WD)

Tongue weight capacity (lbs)
SV with Tow Package (2WD)

SL/Platinum (2WD)

SL/Platinum (4WD)

Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #3

my bad...it is a 29QBH. Thanks for the weight info! I think the Armada could tow either but the lighter trailer makes me feel a little more comfortable. Do not really want to spend the extra money for the weight saving but want to stay with Jayco... thanks again.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum. Hope your decision is a safe one.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #5

Decided on the 28BHS. Pick it up Friday the 5th. Our first trailer and we cannot wait to get out in it. Hope we get to use it as much as we would like to.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

well the pick up time got moved back till tomorrow. Cannot wait to get her home and start messing with it. Any definite must do's? Max Flow covers for the vents? Bug screens?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #7

Congratulations on the new trailer! Bug screens are good--and you can move them from trailer to trailer if you ever change trailers. Run your heater during your first dry run because it produces a terrible smell and sets off your smoke detector if your windows and doors are not open this first time use--I speak from experience. Consider purchasing an inexpensive cordless drill, socket attachment and socket that is the size of your leveling jacks--makes running the leveling jacks down and up much easier and faster than doing it manually. Take a bunch of leveling blocks on each trip--they can be home-made from 2X10 or 2X12 lumber or purchased (Lynx Leveling Blocks are available at WalMart for about $30 for a package of 10 and other manufacturers are available at RV dealers and on-line). Take a 30amp heavy-duty extension cord, extra water hose, extra sewer hose and a length of coax cable (for TV hookups when campgrounds offer TV) on every trip. A five gallon plastic bucket is always good for carrying water to put out fires. If you are planning a fire, consider splitting your wood before the trip and taking it with you. Make a small tool box to carry with you on every trip--adjustable wrench, pliers, screw drivers, electrician's tape, polarity tester, bungy cords, light weight rope, extra fuses for the trailer and tow vehicle, extra bulbs for the tail and brake lights on the trailer and the tow vehicle, etc. Use large plastic bins to store stuff in the trailer storage areas and small plastic bins to store stuff in the pantry and under cabinets inside the trailer. Following is a link to an earlier thread that has additional suggestions: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=600
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #8

congratulations on your new TT
Have a blast!
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #9

Congratulations four4camping on the new trailer! What Texas Sam said is the gospel truth on things to carry and do before and on your first outing. Enjoy that TT and build lots of great memories.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #10

Tex..thanks so much for the info and I am taking that info as Gospel, RR Conductor. I towed the trailer home yesterday. Prodigy P3 worked great, no sway from the Equalizer 4 way. The Armada pulled ok (could use a bit more power). This is my first tow experience and my question is, maybe I should start a new thread, the trailer seems to surge back and forth.(bounce maybe?)..is this "normal"?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #11

Surging/bouncing are not normal. Sounds like you may need to adjust the chains on your weight distribution hitch. With your trailer unhitched and level, measure the distance from the ground to the bottom edge of the side trim at both the back and front of the trailer--when the trailer is level the distance will be the same. Now, do the same with your tow vehicle. Then hook up your trailer with your weight distribution hitch chains set the way you are currently towing--the traioler and the tow vehicle should be level. If the back of the tow vehicle is lower than the front of the tow vehicle you need to shorten the chains on the weight distribution hitch and vice versa. Keep adjusting the chains until the trailer and tow vehicle are level when hooked up. Finallly, remember that when you add weight to the back storage area of your tow vehicle or to the trailer itselv the weight distribution chains may need to be moved again. Hope this helps.