Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4
New to Trailering - First Travel Trailer

Hello All!!!!

My name is Frank Wong. We live in Southwestern Ontario Canada. Married and we have two teen age kids. We just picked up our first Travel Trailer. Jayco Jay Feather 27 BHB. It has nicer chairs than our house. We are new to trailering and glamping and took the dive into this model.

Our first two trips were already cancelled due to COVID (April 30-May 2 and April 7 to 9) but we hope to get out in it soon. Not sure what to expect once we get to a site and we still have RV antifreeze still in the lines and the 3 hour intro from our dealer seems like ages ago...

Should be interesting which is why our first trip this weekend was only 30 min away and we booked with friends that could help...

Glad to be here - I hope to learn the easy way vs the hard way but I am also known to attend the School of Hard Knocks very frequently (like PhD level). LOL

Cheers and Happy Camping in 2021 to all!

Frank and Fam
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 17,699
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Jayco.
__________________
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56
Andersen WD

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,572
Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your Jay Feather 27 BHB.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,444
Thats a nice trailer, hope your family enjoys it! From my experience growing up, those bunks can get warm, especially with the blind closed. I might invest in 2 small fans that the kiddos can use to either expel warm air or push in cooler air from the main cabin.

The best way to learn to camp is just what you are doing, go with a group of friends. We have a group of 10 or 11 families that we camp with at least once a year and we've all learned from each other. I grew up camping as a kid and bought a trailer about 11 years ago for my family, so I had some knowledge which I've helped pass along to the newbies. But I have friends who camped from kids up through the current and have great tricks they've learned or inherited along the way.

All campers pretty much work the same, so your friends should be able to help you navigate yours. If you are receptive, your friends can also give you helpful hints about what to do, and more importantly what NOT to do when camping. Its a great experience, I hope your kids enjoy it. We've got an 8, 6 and 2 year old and they've camped all their lives. They are friends with kids that we camp with and make new friends too. They enjoy it so much, it makes it enjoyable for us too!

We go all over the place. We go to Florida for 3+ weeks every winter, go to a lake a couple times, go to the beach, go to local state parks. Every year we take a group trip to a new/further locale. Tennessee one year, Outer Banks another year, Vermont last year was postponed due to Covid. When I retire in 6 years we have plans to do a several month cross country trip as a family, something that my parents did when I was a kid.

Enjoy, drive safe, have lots of campfires and good stories to tell!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 757
Welcome from Southern Ontario (Niagara).

I would get that antifreeze out at home. No sense messing around and "losing" out on camping time, having to drain out the system. It will also give you time to play with the water system a bit and figure things out at your own pace.

I hear you about the lockdown. We're booked for May 24 weekend and hope it doesn't get cancelled.

If I could offer one tip, it's to TAKE YOUR TIME. When you rush, you will break something. Remember, everyone in the campground is on vacation, there is no need to rush when backing in or setting up. Just take your time and enjoy the entire experience.
__________________
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 28BHKS Summit Edition
2019 Ford F-150, 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, Max Tow
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 3,761
Congratulations and welcome to the group!
__________________
2016 28BHBE
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Marineco Detachable Shore Cord
CRE 3000 Equalizer / Wet Bolt Kit
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2016 Ford F250 6.2 Gasser
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 8,907
Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! You'll find that most campers are more than willing to help out, or answer questions. Some will volunteer to help if they see you struggling with something, others may need an invitation to lend a hand, as they might think they'll be interfering.

A PDI is a lot of information to process, in a short time. Jot down any questions as you think of them, so none get forgotten. You'll be pro's in no time!
__________________
Every day's a learning experience, though sometimes not what we expected.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
robkelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Duxbury
Posts: 6,764
Congratulations and welcome!
__________________
Rob & Kelly, Bella & Brady (Miniature Schnauzers)
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS
2017 RAM 3500 SRW CTD/AISIN CC LB
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,353
Welcome from.across the creek!
Hopefully Justin will turn you guys loose shorty so you guys can get back to living life again!
As previous posted, since you're on lockdown and have nothing better to do, get the pink pop out yourself at home. Easy peasy. Stay a few nites in it at Camp Sideyard or Camp Driveway.
Lots of info here on the forum that can answer any questions, but dont be afraid to ask either.
Also, IF they ever open up the borders and you decide you want to make the trip across here to the dark side (LOL!), parks over here and pretty full and good luck getting in. Check the interweb or make some calls first before you waste your time.
Congrats on the new rig and enjoy!!
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ohiofinlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wakeman
Posts: 1,712
Welcome from Ohio! Safe Travels and many memories to come.
__________________


2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Looking forward to sharing our adventures and hearing about all of yours!
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4
Yup that was the plan... In the middle of a house reno so time is tight but am getting a few things done here and there on the rig.

The best way to figure things out .... is to just so it and then figure them out... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Welcome from.across the creek!
Hopefully Justin will turn you guys loose shorty so you guys can get back to living life again!
As previous posted, since you're on lockdown and have nothing better to do, get the pink pop out yourself at home. Easy peasy. Stay a few nites in it at Camp Sideyard or Camp Driveway.
Lots of info here on the forum that can answer any questions, but dont be afraid to ask either.
Also, IF they ever open up the borders and you decide you want to make the trip across here to the dark side (LOL!), parks over here and pretty full and good luck getting in. Check the interweb or make some calls first before you waste your time.
Congrats on the new rig and enjoy!!
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurnee, IL
Posts: 1,020
Welcome from Northeast Illinois.
__________________
Scott, DW, and Identical Twin DS (10)

2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Just south of Sarnia
Posts: 604
Welcome from south of Sarnia out in the sticks

RoadrunnerII
__________________
RoadrunnerII
Livin the dream... Retired!

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milpitas
Posts: 1,231
Welcome to the forum from Northern California. This forum is the place to go for questions. Great people, great knowledge and the best Moderators on the internet.
__________________
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 46 years. Haley the mutt, 2 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help."
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:01 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC Area
Posts: 1,112
Welcome from York County, South Carolina!
__________________

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,431
Welcome Aboard!

Bummer that your first two trips have been canceled . It is a good plan to camp the first time out near home. Nothing wrong with doing a little driveway camping.

As for the antifreeze, you can de winterize it self. I just de-winterized last night. I spend a little bit of time doing it as we do drink the water from the FW tank. In our driveway with the grey water tank valve open, I flush all the plumbing from both the FW tank and city water connection. I rinse everything a couple times (including the FW tank and water heater). Then sanitize the entire system, then flush everything at least three times. Not hard work, just putzy.

RV antifreeze is food grade. Pending on which one they use, it can leave a bad taste in the lines.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4
What do you sanitize with?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Bummer that your first two trips have been canceled . It is a good plan to camp the first time out near home. Nothing wrong with doing a little driveway camping.

As for the antifreeze, you can de winterize it self. I just de-winterized last night. I spend a little bit of time doing it as we do drink the water from the FW tank. In our driveway with the grey water tank valve open, I flush all the plumbing from both the FW tank and city water connection. I rinse everything a couple times (including the FW tank and water heater). Then sanitize the entire system, then flush everything at least three times. Not hard work, just putzy.

RV antifreeze is food grade. Pending on which one they use, it can leave a bad taste in the lines.

FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
What do you sanitize with?
In your owner's manual it will give you instructions. I use plain old unscented bleach.

Will give you one tip, watch the concentration level of the bleach. I switch bottles a couple years ago. I went from a bottle of generic to Clorox, the bottle says "new higher concentrated". It is way higher concentrated than the average brand. Had a hard time getting the bleach taste out of the water lines the last two years. I figured it out over this past winter. This year I dropped my mix ratio to adjust for the higher concentration. I'll be doing a taste test this evening, as I filled my FW tank and lines last night after 3 flushes.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: edmonton
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
Hello All!!!!



My name is Frank Wong. We live in Southwestern Ontario Canada. Married and we have two teen age kids. We just picked up our first Travel Trailer. Jayco Jay Feather 27 BHB. It has nicer chairs than our house. We are new to trailering and glamping and took the dive into this model.



Our first two trips were already cancelled due to COVID (April 30-May 2 and April 7 to 9) but we hope to get out in it soon. Not sure what to expect once we get to a site and we still have RV antifreeze still in the lines and the 3 hour intro from our dealer seems like ages ago...



Should be interesting which is why our first trip this weekend was only 30 min away and we booked with friends that could help...



Glad to be here - I hope to learn the easy way vs the hard way but I am also known to attend the School of Hard Knocks very frequently (like PhD level). LOL



Cheers and Happy Camping in 2021 to all!



Frank and Fam
Hope you bought lottery tickets the same day you booked the campsite. Getting a campsite in Ontario is almost impossible from what I hear.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.