Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #1

New to Trailering - First Travel Trailer

Hello All!!!!

My name is Frank Wong. We live in Southwestern Ontario Canada. Married and we have two teen age kids. We just picked up our first Travel Trailer. Jayco Jay Feather 27 BHB. It has nicer chairs than our house. We are new to trailering and glamping and took the dive into this model.

Our first two trips were already cancelled due to COVID (April 30-May 2 and April 7 to 9) but we hope to get out in it soon. Not sure what to expect once we get to a site and we still have RV antifreeze still in the lines and the 3 hour intro from our dealer seems like ages ago...

Should be interesting which is why our first trip this weekend was only 30 min away and we booked with friends that could help...

Glad to be here - I hope to learn the easy way vs the hard way but I am also known to attend the School of Hard Knocks very frequently (like PhD level). LOL

Cheers and Happy Camping in 2021 to all!

Frank and Fam
FrankW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Jayco.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your Jay Feather 27 BHB.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #4

Thats a nice trailer, hope your family enjoys it! From my experience growing up, those bunks can get warm, especially with the blind closed. I might invest in 2 small fans that the kiddos can use to either expel warm air or push in cooler air from the main cabin.

The best way to learn to camp is just what you are doing, go with a group of friends. We have a group of 10 or 11 families that we camp with at least once a year and we've all learned from each other. I grew up camping as a kid and bought a trailer about 11 years ago for my family, so I had some knowledge which I've helped pass along to the newbies. But I have friends who camped from kids up through the current and have great tricks they've learned or inherited along the way.

All campers pretty much work the same, so your friends should be able to help you navigate yours. If you are receptive, your friends can also give you helpful hints about what to do, and more importantly what NOT to do when camping. Its a great experience, I hope your kids enjoy it. We've got an 8, 6 and 2 year old and they've camped all their lives. They are friends with kids that we camp with and make new friends too. They enjoy it so much, it makes it enjoyable for us too!

We go all over the place. We go to Florida for 3+ weeks every winter, go to a lake a couple times, go to the beach, go to local state parks. Every year we take a group trip to a new/further locale. Tennessee one year, Outer Banks another year, Vermont last year was postponed due to Covid. When I retire in 6 years we have plans to do a several month cross country trip as a family, something that my parents did when I was a kid.

Enjoy, drive safe, have lots of campfires and good stories to tell!
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #5

Welcome from Southern Ontario (Niagara).

I would get that antifreeze out at home. No sense messing around and "losing" out on camping time, having to drain out the system. It will also give you time to play with the water system a bit and figure things out at your own pace.

I hear you about the lockdown. We're booked for May 24 weekend and hope it doesn't get cancelled.

If I could offer one tip, it's to TAKE YOUR TIME. When you rush, you will break something. Remember, everyone in the campground is on vacation, there is no need to rush when backing in or setting up. Just take your time and enjoy the entire experience.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

Congratulations and welcome to the group!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! You'll find that most campers are more than willing to help out, or answer questions. Some will volunteer to help if they see you struggling with something, others may need an invitation to lend a hand, as they might think they'll be interfering.

A PDI is a lot of information to process, in a short time. Jot down any questions as you think of them, so none get forgotten. You'll be pro's in no time!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:30 AM   #8

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #9

Welcome from.across the creek!
Hopefully Justin will turn you guys loose shorty so you guys can get back to living life again!
As previous posted, since you're on lockdown and have nothing better to do, get the pink pop out yourself at home. Easy peasy. Stay a few nites in it at Camp Sideyard or Camp Driveway.
Lots of info here on the forum that can answer any questions, but dont be afraid to ask either.
Also, IF they ever open up the borders and you decide you want to make the trip across here to the dark side (LOL!), parks over here and pretty full and good luck getting in. Check the interweb or make some calls first before you waste your time.
Congrats on the new rig and enjoy!!
Old 05-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #10

Welcome from Ohio! Safe Travels and many memories to come.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:19 PM   #11

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Looking forward to sharing our adventures and hearing about all of yours!
Old 05-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #12

Yup that was the plan... In the middle of a house reno so time is tight but am getting a few things done here and there on the rig.

The best way to figure things out .... is to just so it and then figure them out... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Welcome from.across the creek!
Hopefully Justin will turn you guys loose shorty so you guys can get back to living life again!
As previous posted, since you're on lockdown and have nothing better to do, get the pink pop out yourself at home. Easy peasy. Stay a few nites in it at Camp Sideyard or Camp Driveway.
Lots of info here on the forum that can answer any questions, but dont be afraid to ask either.
Also, IF they ever open up the borders and you decide you want to make the trip across here to the dark side (LOL!), parks over here and pretty full and good luck getting in. Check the interweb or make some calls first before you waste your time.
Congrats on the new rig and enjoy!!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #13

Welcome from Northeast Illinois.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #14

Welcome from south of Sarnia out in the sticks

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum from Northern California. This forum is the place to go for questions. Great people, great knowledge and the best Moderators on the internet.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:01 AM   #16

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #17

Welcome Aboard!

Bummer that your first two trips have been canceled . It is a good plan to camp the first time out near home. Nothing wrong with doing a little driveway camping.

As for the antifreeze, you can de winterize it self. I just de-winterized last night. I spend a little bit of time doing it as we do drink the water from the FW tank. In our driveway with the grey water tank valve open, I flush all the plumbing from both the FW tank and city water connection. I rinse everything a couple times (including the FW tank and water heater). Then sanitize the entire system, then flush everything at least three times. Not hard work, just putzy.

RV antifreeze is food grade. Pending on which one they use, it can leave a bad taste in the lines.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #18

What do you sanitize with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Bummer that your first two trips have been canceled . It is a good plan to camp the first time out near home. Nothing wrong with doing a little driveway camping.

As for the antifreeze, you can de winterize it self. I just de-winterized last night. I spend a little bit of time doing it as we do drink the water from the FW tank. In our driveway with the grey water tank valve open, I flush all the plumbing from both the FW tank and city water connection. I rinse everything a couple times (including the FW tank and water heater). Then sanitize the entire system, then flush everything at least three times. Not hard work, just putzy.

RV antifreeze is food grade. Pending on which one they use, it can leave a bad taste in the lines.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
What do you sanitize with?
In your owner's manual it will give you instructions. I use plain old unscented bleach.

Will give you one tip, watch the concentration level of the bleach. I switch bottles a couple years ago. I went from a bottle of generic to Clorox, the bottle says "new higher concentrated". It is way higher concentrated than the average brand. Had a hard time getting the bleach taste out of the water lines the last two years. I figured it out over this past winter. This year I dropped my mix ratio to adjust for the higher concentration. I'll be doing a taste test this evening, as I filled my FW tank and lines last night after 3 flushes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
Hello All!!!!

My name is Frank Wong. We live in Southwestern Ontario Canada. Married and we have two teen age kids. We just picked up our first Travel Trailer. Jayco Jay Feather 27 BHB. It has nicer chairs than our house. We are new to trailering and glamping and took the dive into this model.

Our first two trips were already cancelled due to COVID (April 30-May 2 and April 7 to 9) but we hope to get out in it soon. Not sure what to expect once we get to a site and we still have RV antifreeze still in the lines and the 3 hour intro from our dealer seems like ages ago...

Should be interesting which is why our first trip this weekend was only 30 min away and we booked with friends that could help...

Glad to be here - I hope to learn the easy way vs the hard way but I am also known to attend the School of Hard Knocks very frequently (like PhD level). LOL

Cheers and Happy Camping in 2021 to all!

Frank and Fam
Hope you bought lottery tickets the same day you booked the campsite. Getting a campsite in Ontario is almost impossible from what I hear.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote