Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #1

New to TT scene, long time camper

Hi all! First time to the forum, I come from the Pop up Portal side of the camping world. From the southern Suburbs of central Minnesota.
Been a camper my whole life. Have been with my Wife for 9 years and trying to keep her (or force her?) liking camping, as much as I do! We tented up until last summer, when we got our first pup. 1997 Coleman Westlake. Great camper, just made the agreement that it was too much set up time and since our daughter is now 4 and we have another one on the way, we are looking at TTs!
We have been all over the place with what we are agreeing on, from 24ft mid 90's Dutchmen to a 2012 Forst River Spree Wolf Pup 16p.

We have stopped on the new 2017 Starcraft AR One Maxx 19BHLE.

We love the layout and the little one is talking nonstop about the bunk beds! (I remember being a kid in the bunks, too!)

We have been trying to find some reviews and feedback on the Starcraft line of AR One models, so I figured I would come to the head of the snake, so to speak, and ask the helpful forum crowd.

DW is nervous about things failing or leaks or even just subtle irritations that can arise, etc. What are peoples experiences with these trailers and are they a good investment? Some good feedback will help her ease her mind about making such an important decision. Unlike me, who has been ok with it from the moment we stepped in the camper at the dealer, yesterday!

Thank you all and hopefully we can make a decision soon and get to know some of you! God bless!
metalman261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Nothing? Alright then.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
metalman261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

No experience on you particular unit, but as for the investment question, a camper is not an investment in the money sense. It is an investment in your family in the sense of quality time with them. If you believe it is what you both want, go for it!
Husker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Welcome!

Being that this is a Jayco forum you'll find mostly Jayco owners here. There are a few Starcraft owners. Also you're looking at a 2017 so no one here probably has any experience with it.

I will say this, no matter what travel trailer you buy you could potentially have leaks at some point. The key is regular inspection, at least twice a year looking at all seals and especially the roof. As the original caulking and seals age and dry up they need to be replaced. Jayco's manual also says to inspect regularly and it's the owner's responsibility. I imagine the Starcraft manual has a similar statement.

That said travel trailers in general are all built about the same. They all use components sourced from the same vendors, things like refrigerators, frames, A/C units, doors, windows, etc. Search the forum for Jayco quality. Most of us have had some minor issues when new, but for the most part they make a solid unit. The X20E in my sig is our 3rd Jayco. We had an '93 pop-up for 10 years, then an '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid for 10 years, and now the X20E.

When all is said and done your decision will be based on floor plan and your comfort level with your dealer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote