Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

New Trailer - Just Joined

Hello all. My wife and I picked up our 265RLSW a week ago. Have not made any trips yet. It's in the driveway while I mount the televisions, get familiar with how it operates and order all the accessories that I think we will need. I've gotten a number of good tips and pointers from the site already. Some that will save me a lot of time and hassle I'm sure. Some quick things I've learned and a question or two. I'll search the forum for answers as well.

- my bedroom "mount tv bracket here" sticker was in the wrong place. Some small "mistake" and "search" holes in the wall around it that I hope my wife won't see behind the TV and bracket. Found the mounting spot about 3" under the sticker. Seems not uncommon.

- I want to add a backup / rear view wireless camera before our first trip. I've spent a lot of time searching amazon.com and other sites and just can't find one that looks good AND has good consistent reviews. Still looking.

- I want to plug in the 30A service to a 20A circuit here at the house. Yes, I know to watch the power consumption from the AC but it would be handy to keep the battery charged and to briefly run the AC when it gets warm inside. Nothing else, have LED lighting so minimum power needs other than AC when needed.

- Should I buy a cover when I store it? Some say yes, some say no.

I've already purchased a few of the accessories I found out about here: water filter, trailer aid plus ramp.

Getting long here so will read some more posts for tips and info.

thx
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #2

Congratulations on your trailer and welcome to the JOF.

Our 2015 27RLS is a very similar floorplan to yours. We like it a lot.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #3

Suxhou,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

As you found with the "mount tv bracket" sticker, unfortunately there are some fine quality control issues within the rv industry, regardless of the brand. Hopefully the holes are hidden once the tv is mounted.

Wish I could offer advice on the camera, but that is something I have briefly considered, but it isn't even on the "back burner list" right now. One thing I do keep considering is a tire pressure monitor for the trailer. Maybe consider one as well.

In regards to the cover, I have decided against a cover. We considered it for our last tt, but never bought one. With our new tt we have decided to spend a little to store it inside during the winter hibernation months. Hoping this will help more than a cover. But there are many who do use a cover... Kind of like asking the gas vs diesel tv question! Lol

As you know, just watch what your running when plugged in at home. We can run our a/c on low with both the fridges on. Though they were cooled down by the time the a/c was turned on.

Guessing you have a wdh (weight distribution hitch). If so, make sure you got all the paperwork with it from the dealer. Chances are you will need to readjust it once the tt is loaded up, ready for a trip. The dealer only adjusted the hitch to an empty trailer. Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info.

Take your time, and as you mentioned, ask if you need to.

Good luck and enjoy the great times ahead!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:38 PM   #4

One of the things I read here and am looking for, the paperwork on my hitch. I have a booklet for almost everything else in the trailer but don't see the hitch paperwork. I know the brand and model so should be able to get it online.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:22 AM   #5

Congratulations and welcome!

Can't help with the backup camera, sorry. And not surprised by your TV mounting sticker being off - both of mine have been way off.

Cover: You're right, there are multiple opinions on this. We decided against it, and then I overheard our dealer tel another customer that they don't recommend them as the trailer can't breath properly (even with the breathable covers) and therefore tends to mildew. That said, I do cover the AC to prevent snow from packing into them.

As need-a-vacation recommends, be careful with your power consumption at home. We too were able to run the A/C and fridge on a 20A circuit, but that was it. I also used a heavy duty extension cord. I now have a 30A circuit.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #6

Suz,

Knowing the wdh brand and model should get you a downloaded version of the manual. If you do end up readjusting the wdh, just make sure you properly tighten all the bolts. I ended up buying a 3/4" breaker bar just to mount a 2" ball (1-1/4" shank) on a new ball mount for my utility trailer. It also makes adjusting the wdh if needed easier.

As Rob mentioned on the cover, I have heard (was on the internet..... so it must be true! Lol) that covers don't breath as they need to, can possibly rub against the rubber roof, and rub against the siding as well (if not tightened properly or retightened), causing damage, even if just cosmetic. And some report the lifespan is maybe 4-5 yrs I think it is that I've read. Obviously this varies with area you live in: how windy, sun intensity, etc.

But at the same time the neighbor next door to my wife's grandma's uses a blue tarp to cover their tt for the winter..... As we all know those don't breath at all. So to it's a gamble I guess.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #7

Congratulations!

Good chance your tt came with a plug adaptor so you can plug in at home. Make sure to use a heavy duty extension cord, and not one that is excessively long (voltage drop).

If not plugged in at home phantom power consumption will drain you battery in 5 to 10 days.

Keep us up tp date on your backup camera mod.

Happy camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #8

This is the camera I mounted on my 23RLSW and I am VERY happy with it.

RVS-770613-213 | Backup Camera System with Trailer Tow Quick Connect Kit | Rear View Safety
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

I just installed a Furrion FOS48TA-BL. I own a Starcraft and they come with the mount and wiring pre-installed. The reviews I read were all positive for this model. Easy install. You just tie into center rear marker light (requires running lights to be on when operating). Simple 2 wire inline scotch lock. connection. Starcraft wired my connect backwards (easy fix). They are available on Amazon at a decent price (comparably). I had also been looking at a wireless Rear View Safety model, but went with Furrion due to the positive reviews and pre-installed components.

On amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FOS48T...ywords=furrion

Check out the comment string below:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ll-6191-7.html
Old 04-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #10

Adco makes GOOD cover that breath just fine. Our TT went through the winter with snow and cold undamaged and just as clean as when first covered.. Plus the awning didn't get wet or weather worn over winter, a real plus IMO.

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote