Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #1

Hi all,
My husband, Scott, & i (Pam) are new to the idea of camping with a travel trailer. Many years ago when our chldren were young, we use to go camping using a tent. Now, we are looking forward to seeing the country using a travel trailer instead of hotels or renting. For our tow vehicle, we have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 with a V8 5.71 engine that has a tow rating of 7,200 lbs and a max tongue rating of 720 lbs. We have been looking at various brands of trailers for the last couple of months. We are currently interested in the Jayco Whitehawk 27RBOK. Any thoughts or opinions regarding this match would be appreciated.
martinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #2

IMHO, that trailer is a bit much for the Jeep. No problem with the engine, but weight capacities are where you'll be lacking. With empty tongue weight of 575, add two full 20lb propane tanks, battery and WDH, you're getting REALLY close to the max tongue weight for the Jeep. Couple that with the kiddos and gear in the Jeep, and you'll likely be over. Also, with a trailer that long, you'll probably want to be higher than 10% on the tongue to reduce sway (thought he axles being further apart may help, IDK).

If I were you, I would go with something a bit smaller/lighter.

Just my pair o' pennies! Good luck!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

'Camper_Bob' raises some good points to consider......., be mindful of potential "loaded" weights.

Published Tow Ratings can be a little mis-leading in some cases, your actual Tow Rating may be less then 7,200lbs.

Tow Ratings: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3866

Also, keep in mind that a trailer's "loaded" tongue weight is supported by the tow vehicle, so the weight is subtracted from the vehicles "available" payload capacity.
To take the guess work out of your trailer search, I would confirm what available payload capacity your Jeep has...., and a 3-minute visit to your local CAT scale will tell you.

Take your Jeep under "loaded" conditions (full fuel, passengers, cargo) to a CAT scale and weigh it. Subtract the CAT scale weight from the GVWR noted on the driver's door..., the remaining weight is your "available" payload capacity for a trailer's loaded tongue weight and a 50lb WDH.

Note: RV and WDH manufatures recommend that a trailer's loaded tongue weight should be in the 10% to 15% range of the trailer's loaded weight...., most folks find that it actually will fall in the 13% to 15% range (which is desirable).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote