Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Talking newbie to travel trailer

hello very excited and nervous at the same time. we are new to travel trailers and really how little knowledge although we are scheduled for demonstration this Wednesday from the dealership. what are the important questions???
purchased a jayco jay flight 2015 RLS 27foot, new. Dealer is setting up the truck Dodge ram 1500 5.8l/hemi quad cab with package with tow bars, and brake module ect.
Height ?? for clearance on bridges ect.
Do i need a generator that is portable or invertor?? we have a huge generator never used but like 200 lbs.
Should i purchase a sewer hose what is the best?
locks for trailer purchased universal unit. what about other security?
Cable cord 25ft, do I need comcast to receive tv? or should I purchase a antenna digital? what is good.
Dogs what do I bring just rabies certificate?
so many thoughts rushing in my head? trying to find a close place to home for our first trail run suggestions in niagara co. ny ?
Thanks for your help and guidance nervous nellie but super excited
scrubbie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

I'll try to help a bit and get things rolling for you....

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbie10 View Post
hello very excited and nervous at the same time. we are new to travel trailers and really how little knowledge although we are scheduled for demonstration this Wednesday (Q: That is the PDI - predelivery inspection - correct?)
from the dealership. what are the important questions??? (Since you are new to trailering, you will probably have a ton of questions... I would! If you can record what the dealer shows you, it would be helpful.)
purchased a jayco jay flight 2015 RLS 27foot, new. Dealer is setting up the truck Dodge ram 1500 5.8l/hemi quad cab with package with tow bars, and brake module ect.
Height ?? for clearance on bridges ect. (135" or 11'3" according to Jayco's brochure)
Do i need a generator that is portable or invertor?? we have a huge generator never used but like 200 lbs.(sounds like you want a different generator because your current one is too heavy, correct?)
Should i purchase a sewer hose what is the best? (Many use Camco RhinoFlex. The dealer may provide a sewer hose, but it will probably be very thin and may not be very long.)
locks for trailer purchased universal unit. what about other security?
Cable cord 25ft, do I need comcast to receive tv? or should I purchase a antenna digital? what is good. (Sorry. I don't have a tv in my travel trailer.)
Dogs what do I bring just rabies certificate? (It would be a good idea, but as far as I know, certificate is only need when going into Canada.)
so many thoughts rushing in my head? trying to find a close place to home for our first trail run suggestions in niagara co. ny ? (Do pick a spot close to home for the first night. You may need stuff and need to talk to the dealer about issues etc.)
Thanks for your help and guidance nervous nellie but super excited
I know that is just a start, but there will probably be other member jumping in with their thoughts etc.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

Your 27 RLS comes with a TV antenna for over the air channels. You don't need a generator unless you plan on boondocking for more than a day or two. Many places require animals information on all shots etc, before they will accept a dog for boarding, even for a day. You will need a sewer hose with fittings, possibly an extension also, drinkable water hose, perhaps a water filter. 25' TV cable in most places is adequate to connect to campground cable. I suggest a lock for your hitch, I always use one when towing and then also when it is parked. A lock on a parked TT will keep honest people honest, nothing you can do about thieves. May want to swap out your storage compartment locks which are all keyed 751 for something more unique...cam locks?

I suggest watching some online videos, if you search you tube you will find plenty. Also if you camp in a good campground those folks will be happy to answer your questions within reason. Remember if you do hook up to a campground cable..you will have to program your TV for cable connection and then do a search of channels, making sure you antenna booster (button under TV with little green light) is pushed off. I happen to have a 2015 27 RLS. I also work at a campground and do assist guest all the time.

Good luck and enjoy your new TT.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #4

Do not let the dealer rush you thru the PDI.

Make a list of all your questions and make sure they get answered
Have the dealer go over all the systems and make sure you understand each one.

Pay attention to the water system. Where are all the valves and what position do they need to be in, Where are all the drain valves and bypass valves. Have the dealer go over in detail How to winterize and de-winterize the system. Make sure you understand this as lately there have been many questions here on the forum about these procedures.

Have the dealer explain the operation of the propane system and how the change over regulator works.

Have the dealer explain the electrical system and how it operates on shore power and on battery power. Where are the fuses/circuit breakers located

Operation of water heater, furnace, refrigerator, stove/oven/micro-wave.

How to set up your hitch system and your brake controller.

How to set up and level the camper.

How to properly load the RV to maintain good weight distribution thru out the RV

As mentioned in another post Make a recording if possible of the PDI or at least take pictures.

And again do not let the dealer rush you through the PDI You can control this by asking questions, so have your list ready.

Remember the more you can learn about your new RV now the better your camping experience will be.

Also as mentioned look on yourtube and also on this forum for information and help.

Enjoy you new RV and future camping trips.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote