Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Newbies With Gas Grill Question

We are newbies to the travel trailer world. We love our Jay Flight 23RB. Three long weekends of staying in RV parks I have only one question. We have a Coleman portable gas grill and I want to connect it to the receptacle next to the bumper. I have been unlucky in finding a quick disconnect hose that will connect to both, suggestions? Happy camping from Neil and Karen......
Neilwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Is this the hose you are looking for?

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...6-120-MBS.html
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilwb View Post
We are newbies to the travel trailer world. We love our Jay Flight 23RB. Three long weekends of staying in RV parks I have only one question. We have a Coleman portable gas grill and I want to connect it to the receptacle next to the bumper. I have been unlucky in finding a quick disconnect hose that will connect to both, suggestions? Happy camping from Neil and Karen......
Frequent question. Problem is, the Coleman (probably a Road Trip LXE) has its own regulator. Your quick connect on the TT also goes through a regulator up front. Two regulators doesn't work, so you need to do 1 of 2 things:
  1. Get rid of the Coleman's regulator, which requires a hose w/special connectors. Torjik makes one - here's a link: Coleman® Roadtrip® RV Quick-Connect Conversion Kit - propanegear There are several YouTube videos that show how to make your own with a trip to the hardware store.
  2. Put a special tee on one of your gas tanks and run a hose direct from there to the Coleman's gas tank fitting. I don't have a link to a tee, but I don't think my 23RLSW would have space for the tee under my tank covers.
  3. You could get a full 20 lb tank just for the Coleman, too. But that would be weird.
So... If I were going to do this, I'd go with the first option, either making my own or buying the Torkjik kit. Meanwhile, my wife and I have a Coleman and continue to use the little green throwaway tanks.

Good luck, and enjoy your trailer!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
Is this the hose you are looking for?

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...6-120-MBS.html
The web link for that product says specifically "Note: This hose cannot be used on Coleman high-pressure products that are run off of low-pressure propane systems."

Just sayin'...

Roger

Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

I see you already received some good information regarding your grill.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #6

This is a very common issue

Welcome to the forum first off.

Now, to the grill dilemma.

To make a really long story short (use the search in the forum here to find numerous posts on this)

Your Coleman grill is not an RV ready grill. It comes with it's own propane regulator built into the grill. This regulator drops the pressure of the propane coming into your Coleman to 'grill safe levels'. This regulator that is built into your grill allows you to directly plug your coleman grill into traditional propane sources... like those little green propane tanks, and the larger BBQ grill tanks most of us use at home.

The problem is that your camper already has a regulator on it's own propane supply - so the quick disconnect propane connector on your camper is *already regulated* and therefore low pressure to begin with - You cannot hook up another grill with its own built in regulator to that supply line without dropping the pressure of your propane gas too low. Basically you end up with 2 propane regulators on the same propane line and that's a no go.

The solutions are to 1) buy an RV specific grill that is intended to work with a low pressure propane source.

OR -

Modify your existing Coleman grill so that it will work on a low pressure system (like the one your camper is supplying). This involves removing the regulator that came with your grill and installing a Quick Disconnect on that grill which is compatible with the propane hose you will need to buy in order to plug into your camper.

Here's an example of an 'RV ready' grill that requires no modifications to work with your camper.

Flame King

This is the hose you would need to connect that grill, to your camper and for what it's worth, you will need a hose like this anyway if you ever plan on using the propane connector on your camper. The only real question is do you buy a new grill, or modify your existing one to plug into it.

Camco Quick Connect hose

There is a 3rd option. Some people T Off of the main propane tank that is mounted to their camper, creating an unregulated supply right there at the tank - and they run their BBQ grill off of that, no mods required.

It all comes down to how much you care to spend, vs. how handy you guys are with retrofitting your existing grill to your camper.

Me personally, I use an 'RV ready' grill now, and when that stops being viable in a few years, I will modify my Weber Q grill to work with the camper, understanding that this is a permanent modification to the grill and it will in effect be 'married' to the camper for life. I'm cool with that though

This topic does come up a lot so I'm sure you'll get other replies, and probably already have while I was typing this.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
The web link for that product says specifically "Note: This hose cannot be used on Coleman high-pressure products that are run off of low-pressure propane systems."

Just sayin'...

Roger
thanks, I was only trying to be helpful, after I saw your first post I realized my mistake.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

Wow!!!!! Thank you for the quick responses.... This project is done. I ordered the kit from Propane Gear. Thank you for all of your help and advise.
Neilwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

Jayco's fitting was also a weird one, took forever to find a fitting that would work.

Good Luck and Happy Camping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
thanks, I was only trying to be helpful, after I saw your first post I realized my mistake.
Sorry if I was rude, didn't mean to be!!

Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Sorry if I was rude, didn't mean to be!!
Not at all, just a head smack moment for me.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilwb View Post
We use a Coleman roadtrip and see no need to connect it to the TT propane line. Why you ask?? Well after using the Roadtrip for roughly 6 years, we have averaged using only 1 small green stubby per week with moderate use and often find 1 stubby will last 3 weeks when we only grill 3 or 4 times a week. There are only the two of us so that is a factor. We recently returned from a 6 1/2 week trip thru Olk, Tx, Lousiana, and Mississippi and we were still using our 3d stubby the last nite out. Bottom line we set up the grill where ever iits convienent and don't have to mess with a hose.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
We use a Coleman roadtrip and see no need to connect it to the TT propane line. Why you ask?? Well after using the Roadtrip for roughly 6 years, we have averaged using only 1 small green stubby per week with moderate use and often find 1 stubby will last 3 weeks when we only grill 3 or 4 times a week. There are only the two of us so that is a factor. We recently returned from a 6 1/2 week trip thru Olk, Tx, Lousiana, and Mississippi and we were still using our 3d stubby the last nite out. Bottom line we set up the grill where ever iits convienent and don't have to mess with a hose.
DW likes to use the outside Coleman, and as a result we'll go through 2 or 3 green "stubbies" in a week. But since she doesn't want it tied to the trailer connection, we keep using the little green tanks.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #14

Quote:
DW likes to use the outside Coleman, and as a result we'll go through 2 or 3 green "stubbies" in a week. But since she doesn't want it tied to the trailer connection, we keep using the little green tanks.
You can buy small 2 1/2 gal tanks and a different hose and never have to use the small green tanks again. Easily refilled. Much cheaper, convenient and can use it anywhere..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #15

What I did for my coleman roadtrip grill was buy;
Coleman® Roadtrip® RV Quick-Connect Kit - 12 Ft. Hose - propanegear to convert the grill to low pressure.
And then if I wan to grill at home I bought;
QUICK•TANK Quick Connect Tank Adapter - propanegear

A little expesive but better than filling all those lil green bottles
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #16

rkresge: About how many "grillouts" do you get with one green throw away? I just purchased a small coleman which uses the throw aways and have only used it once.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #17

Newbies With Gas Grill Question

I just bought a Weber Q1200 and a convert kit from propanegear.com so it'll run off the camper grill hookup. Our camper has two 30lb propane tanks and we don't even use one a season so we always have propane. I didn't want to run on the little green tanks as it's one more thing to pack. The Weber will stay in the camper all season as we have a large grill for at home.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
rkresge: About how many "grillouts" do you get with one green throw away? I just purchased a small coleman which uses the throw aways and have only used it once.
We cook with it almost every day when we're camping. And normally use about 2 tanks a week. So I guess the answer is about 4-5 grillings. Your results may vary, depending on how long you grill, whether you use both burners, etc.

Roger