Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #1

Thumbs up Newly minted Greyhawk owner, we hope.

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. It's my 4th MH so I'm not unfamiliar with the RV lifestyle. We live just outside of the Atlanta metro area and spent about 2+ months last summer travelling from here to Arizona by way of TN, KY, IL, IA KS, CO, NM, and AZ. Then north to Glacier NP and east through ND, MN, WI, IL, OH, PA, WV VA NC SC and GA. My wife thinks travelling by RV means waking up in a new campground every day.

I sold my last class C MH in 1986. Had two class As since then. Looking forward to doing some boondocking with this new rig.
AverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy View Post
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. It's my 4th MH so I'm not unfamiliar with the RV lifestyle. We live just outside of the Atlanta metro area and spent about 2+ months last summer travelling from here to Arizona by way of TN, KY, IL, IA KS, CO, NM, and AZ. Then north to Glacier NP and east through ND, MN, WI, IL, OH, PA, WV VA NC SC and GA. My wife thinks travelling by RV means waking up in a new campground every day.

I sold my last class C MH in 1986. Had two class As since then. Looking forward to doing some boondocking with this new rig.

Sounds like you have it down but as to booddocking in the Greyhawk, I have several issues that limit that option for us.

1. Water tank is too small unless you scrimp and take lots of navy showers.

2. Grey tank is too small but if you don't mind not showering for a period of time that is moot.

3. Space for one house battery. You will need to expand battery space, invest in solar, which means more battery, or run the genny much more often.

The previous Cyclone toy hauler had room for up to four batteries, 100 gal + of water and 80 gal of grey water space and 25 gals of gasoline for the genny. Much better boondocking rig. I have been disappointed in the Jayco for that use but we knew were were not going to be doing as much back country camping or hunting.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Sounds like you have it down but as to booddocking in the Greyhawk, I have several issues that limit that option for us.
1. Water tank is too small unless you scrimp and take lots of navy showers.
2. Grey tank is too small but if you don't mind not showering for a period of time that is moot.
3. Space for one house battery. You will need to expand battery space, invest in solar, which means more battery, or run the genny much more often.

The previous Cyclone toy hauler had room for up to four batteries, 100 gal + of water and 80 gal of grey water space and 25 gals of gasoline for the genny. Much better boondocking rig. I have been disappointed in the Jayco for that use but we knew were were not going to be doing as much back country camping or hunting.
Well, I agree that tank limits are not ideal, but there are only two of us and having spent lots of years with either an RV or a sailboat and used to showers where you get wet, turn water off, soap up, turn water on, rinse, turn water off. We can live with that. The other issue was solved by the previous owner. Solar power and 200 Ah of lithium batteries. Coupled with the generator for backup in case the sun doesn't shine we're OK. I'm not talking about extended boondocking either. We'll mix it up but at least we probably have enough juice to keep the fridge running overnight which was a problem with our previous setup.

Enjoy,
Jim.
AverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote