Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Noisy hitch the equlizer!!

Hello all I'm new here I figure this forum is all me. Ok we purchased a 2015 jayco jay flight 28 bhbe and we love it. However when we took it home the hitch was soooo loud. I had to pull over because I thought I damaged something big time!! And took back to the dealer and he said it was normal?! I said well ok I guess. So then this weekend we went up to bay city mi to camp and when we came in the camp ground that hitch was groaning and screeching so loud I felt like I was disturbing the whole camp ground. Is the any ideas to quiet this thing down?? Cuz if not I'm offing it!!! Please and ideas would be great!! I even purchased the jacket brackets. That helped some but still so loud!!
Milk man dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #2

The hitch has metal parts rubbing together to add friction to control sway. That is going to cause noise. My Reese Dual Cam is also noisy when I make turns. I used to have the Equal-i-zer and if I remember correctly, it was noisy when making turns. With my Reese, I lube the trunnion cups, but not the cam. I forget what parts to lube on the Ezual-i-zer, so check your owner's manual to see.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

I will check it out thanks for the info. Thought about the Andersen hitch but don't wanna drop 450.00 just yet. I feel it still has hope.
Milk man dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

This is direct from the Equalizer web-site:

"My hitch is noisy, what can I do?

The steel-on-steel friction of the Equal-i-zer hitch will always generate some noise. This is not bad, or a sign that there is something wrong with the hitch or setup. In fact, it usually tells you that your hitch is working just like it's supposed to.

You can do several things that usually reduce most of the hitch noise:

1. Try using a set of Equal-i-zer Sway Bracket Jackets on your L-brackets. These were specially designed to help reduce the noise at this joint, without the mess of using grease.
2. Keep your hitch head clean and the sockets lubricated.
3. Re-adjust the angle of your hitch so that the arms sit more parallel with the trailer frame. For example - when your hitch is hooked up, if your spring arms angle up slightly from the hitch head back along the trailer frame, try adding a spacer washer to the hitch head, and lowering the L-brackets 1 hole. This will give you the same weight distribution, but make the arms more parallel to the frame of the trailer. "

I also use these jackets to help keep the noise down:

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/...398ddaab62ea54
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote