Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

NOOB in Toronto

Hi there!

I am a new member but have been reading posts for the last couple of months and would like to thank the many awesome contributors to this great forum. It has been extremely helpful to us as we have gone through this process of researching, buying and now owning our first TT! I hope to be able give back to the forum in some way but I think I will need to get some experience under my belt first.

We are a family of five with a 9yr old girl, 6yr old boy and 3yr old girl located in Toronto CA. My wife and I are longtime back country campers and started doing front country trips when the kids came along. With three kids the time and effort involved in preparing for and setting up camp became a real chore and actually kept us from getting away for a weekend trip so we started looking at camper trailers. We will certainly be in campgrounds with hookups some of the time but we are also excited to boondock in some remote locations where we can hike, mountain bike, paddle and surf (if conditions are working). In shoulder seasons we will be getting out for some fishing and hunting.

We are the new owners of a 2007 Jayco Jay Feather X213. A picture is attached. The original owners did not use it much, maintained it well and stored it indoors so it is in pretty good condition. It is now at our local dealer undergoing a complete inspection and getting a fantastic fan/max air vent installed. The trailer is entirely original.

The first thing I want to do is build a new battery bank, put in an inverter and battery/amp monitor and install solar so we will be able to charge the batteries while boondocking. I'll experiment a bit with this system and then supplement with a small generator if necessary. I've done a fair amount of reading on these subjects in the forum and am very grateful to those who've taken the time to relate their experiences and answer questions. It is an amazing resource.

Based on my reading so far I think I will start with installing two 6V golf cart batteries in a battery box from Harbor Freight; still considering four batteries but that seems like a lot for this smaller trailer and I know we can conserve power if necessary. Will probably get the Renogy 200w RV kit but since the trailer is usually parked in shade under trees and Ontario isn't the sunniest place around I've already purchased the Renogy 100w portable suitcase and will get some extension wiring so I can move it around to optimize performance. Considering the purchase of Bogart Engineering SC2030 charge controller and its companion the Trimetric TM2030 battery monitor. I know there is debate on MPPT vs PWM charge controller so I will continue my research. Not sure make/model of inverter yet.

Well that is us! We look forward to many adventures in our new adventure-mobile. Thanks once again to the members of this forum.

Best regards to all from Toronto!
Bearskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Welcome from your GTA neighbor. Enjoy your camper What I liked about going from tent to camper was the ability to leave stuff in there and not unpack/pack a ton of kids stuff every time we headed out. : )
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Welcome!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

I see you are a member of the RVing with SOLAR Social Group, You can also use the above SEARCH feature and try searching for SOLAR or Renogy, as it is probably the most purchased setup
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

Thanks! We really enjoyed having the camper on our driveway that first week loading it with all the things we knew we would not have to dig out of storage and pack on the next camping trip.

I now see where the photo attachment function is. Here are a some pics of the new (old) trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Right side.jpg   Front to back.JPG   Left side.jpg   Back to front.JPG  
Bearskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new-to-you TT and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #7

Welcome neighbour! Nice rig, you'll enjoy it.
AncasterDuo is offline   Reply With Quote