Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpayne74 View Post
That would be greatly appreciated to see some pics.. We bought a 17 26bh aluminum siding and wanted to see how the furrion sat on the aluminum for install. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
See my earlier post above for pics.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
Yes, have the rear observation system. Makes driving in traffic so much better.

Thank you so much for the pics... Not looking a gift horse in the mouth but if you have any installation pics..Again total help. Here are some of my questions:
What did you use to drill through the aluminum?
What size of bit?
Did drill through the aluminum plus another layer/wood siding or were you able to feed the pre-wire between the aluminum and back layer?
I was not sure how the aluminum siding lays on the next layer of wood/siding which it is attached too. Thanks and nice clean job on the installation.

mbpayne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpayne74 View Post
Thank you so much for the pics... Not looking a gift horse in the mouth but if you have any installation pics..Again total help. Here are some of my questions:
What did you use to drill through the aluminum?
What size of bit?
Did drill through the aluminum plus another layer/wood siding or were you able to feed the pre-wire between the aluminum and back layer?
I was not sure how the aluminum siding lays on the next layer of wood/siding which it is attached too. Thanks and nice clean job on the installation.

Didn't drill any holes. Ran wire from the camera base out the little notch on top of he base directly into the clearance light lens and tapped into the 12v positive in the LED light and ground using inline splice clips from AutoZone. Really can't see the wire going out the top of the light. And I put a generous amount of clear silicone around both lens and light. BTW was able to gently pry the lens on the clearance light off with a putty knife pull it off to get to the wires. I'll try to get a better closeup picture tomorrow that might show it better. As you can see in the picture the camera base is quite close to the lamp base. Sorry I didn't get any pics during installation. Would have been helpful to others.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
Didn't drill any holes. Ran wire from the camera base out the little notch on top of he base directly into the clearance light lens and tapped into the 12v positive in the LED light and ground using inline splice clips from AutoZone. Really can't see the wire going out the top of the light. And I put a generous amount of clear silicone around both lens and light. BTW was able to gently pry the lens on the clearance light off with a putty knife pull it off to get to the wires. I'll try to get a better closeup picture tomorrow that might show it better. As you can see in the picture the camera base is quite close to the lamp base. Sorry I didn't get any pics during installation. Would have been helpful to others.

Thanks for the feedback... One last set of questions... What length/size of screws did you use to attach the camera/mounting device to the aluminum siding?

Lastly, it appears you screwed it to the siding that sticks out furthest from the wall. Did you have to do anything special to prevent the screw from trying to sink or pull the aluminum into the backing? Sorry so many questions just trying not to mess up my siding if possible. Thanks Michael.

mbpayne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #45

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Hey Greg,

If your rig is similar to mine (White Hawk 28 DSBH), then "pre-wired" means just a hot wire/ground hidden in the back wall. In mine it is always on, which allows you to use it as a security camera when camping (not that I plan to). I may eventually rewire it to my marker lights so it isn't always on.

The wires hang pretty much straight down the back of the trailer under the center panel marker light, so I removed that light first so I could confirm the camera wires were there before drilling a hole in the back of my trailer. I then fished them up and out of the way through the panel marker opening while I did the drilling, then pushed them back down to the new hole and fished them out.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos from my install. I went with a Furrion backup AND rear observation camera (as opposed to their "backup only" model). It has a great signal in the cab of my truck, which is about 50 feet away from the camera, and gives me a continuous rear view while driving with no snow, cutting out or locking up. The display in the cab is about 5", full color, not HD but good quality. Found it on EBay for about $289. The price from this vendor seems to bounce around from $279-$300. The model number is FOS48TAPK-BL. It took me about an hour to install. One thing - make SURE you have all power off in the rig when you install the camera, or you'll blow a fuse. Don't ask me how I know...

My Jayco dealer said they pre-wire specifically for the Voyager backup camera system, but there's nothing specific about a hot wire/ground. The Voyager gives you a much bigger display screen, but I didn't want it. The Voyager also installs with a wire poking out of your trailer, whereas the Furrion mounts over the wire, much cleaner and tighter against the elements IMHO. The Voyager is also much pricier...

We have the 2018 27DSLR, so a similar setup to yours, and also just bought the Furrion camera.

I'm trying to figure out where to pull power from. In the back of our TT there are three small ceiling cabinets. Inside of there there is blue and white wiring in a flex tube going up into the ceiling of the cabinet. I'm almost positive this is for the rear marker lights as there is nothing else up there. I was going to tie into that for the camera power.

I see the wires you pulled out were the same color combination.

After reading yours though it sounds like there is already a "drop" for a camera behind the marker light. Was this a "feature" that you were told about?

Ours didn't have this listed any where so if its not there I hate to pull the light off and have to glue it back on for nothing, when I have easy access to the wiring inside the cabinet already. But if there's wiring there on all TT's from Jayco I might as well use it.

Thanks in advance,

Don
Ubelongoutside is offline   Reply With Quote