Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #1

PUP owner transitioning to hybrid.

Hello, all and greetings from sunny (for the moment) SE Wisconsin.

Upgraded from minivan to Ford Explorer last fall, the better to pull the PUP.
Ready to upgrade from PUP to expandable as soon as we find the right fit for the family and the tow vehicle. I'm thinking Jay Feather 16 or 17 max.

Looking forward to getting to know this community and becoming a Jayco owner sometime this year.

Best,

Chellie
Chellie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #2

Welcome from a fellow newbie. We are from NC but currently traveling in GA. Bought our 2017 Jay Feather 7 17XFD just a bit over 2 weeks ago. It's great! Spacious, flexible, great storage and easy to travel with. Best of luck in finding the right fit for your family!
R Turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Depends somewhat on how your Expedition is setup. Towing weights vary from 2000-5000 lbs depending on equipment. If you have the Class III package, you probably have a GCWR up to 10,000lbs which would indicate a fairly robust payload capacity in the SUV. Check the door jamb sticker on your vehicle to find out what your actual number is.

The payload is more often the limiting factor in deciding what you can safely tow. There has to be enough payload for your loaded tongue weight (not the dry tongue that Jayco publishes), the weight of the hitch, the weight of the family, and all the gear you plan to pack inside or on your Expy.

Your numbers look like they may be similar to our Traverse (I have 1600lb payload). I tow a 19H with a fair amount of gear and stay within all of the various limits (CAT scale verified), so I think your two suggested choices are possible if your SUV is properly equipped. You might even get as big as the 19H with proper loading and attention to weights.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Depends somewhat on how your Expedition is setup. Towing weights vary from 2000-5000 lbs depending on equipment. If you have the Class III package, you probably have a GCWR up to 10,000lbs which would indicate a fairly robust payload capacity in the SUV. Check the door jamb sticker on your vehicle to find out what your actual number is.

The payload is more often the limiting factor in deciding what you can safely tow. There has to be enough payload for your loaded tongue weight (not the dry tongue that Jayco publishes), the weight of the hitch, the weight of the family, and all the gear you plan to pack inside or on your Expy.

Your numbers look like they may be similar to our Traverse (I have 1600lb payload). I tow a 19H with a fair amount of gear and stay within all of the various limits (CAT scale verified), so I think your two suggested choices are possible if your SUV is properly equipped. You might even get as big as the 19H with proper loading and attention to weights.
They have an Explorer, not an Expedition -- big difference.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

We have a 16 xrb and we pull with a Ford Explorer with a V8 motor. Fully loaded with gear we are just over 4200 lbs. we are rated to up to 8000lbs. Lots of power and no problem to tow.

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
They have an Explorer, not an Expedition -- big difference.
My bad. Numbers I posted are for the Explorer not the Expedition, so still applies, just typed the wrong name. Sorry, bowtie guy.

Those numbers apply to 2017. As MagooIsBoo points out, different years, different engines, different ratings. Assumed 2017 since OP indicates they just upgraded the TV.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

We had an Explorer that we pulled a pup with but it was only a V6 (which is all you need to pull a pup). We had also upgraded from a minivan we used to pull a lighter pup. I believe our Explorer could only tow 5400 lbs.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #8

Explorer is indeed a 2017. Factory tow package, but only a V6 engine.
Rated for 5K; 10K gross combined. I'm looking for a rig that would be under 4K fully loaded.

Tow vehicle hauls 2 adults, 2 teens, couple of duffel bags, and a full cooler.
Have not been to weigh station, but will do so once the teens are out of school and I can make a mid-day run.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellie B View Post
Hello, all and greetings from sunny (for the moment) SE Wisconsin.

Upgraded from minivan to Ford Explorer last fall, the better to pull the PUP.
Ready to upgrade from PUP to expandable as soon as we find the right fit for the family and the tow vehicle. I'm thinking Jay Feather 16 or 17 max.

Looking forward to getting to know this community and becoming a Jayco owner sometime this year.

Best,

Chellie
I did the same upgrade several years ago and have been very happy. The thing I didn't like about the PUP was that you couldn't check your inventory (paper towels, toilet paper, plastic utensils etc.) without cranking it up--it was a big pain. A hybrid gives you the same ventilation when sleeping at night but you can keep an eye on things and clean it when it's living in your driveway. Though I must admit, the PUP was much easier to tow.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #10

Unfortunately we do not have a driveway and city ordinances prevent us from parking it on the street overnight. We keep the PUP, and any subsequent camper, in my mom's barn some 40 miles away.

It will never be easy to inventory the camper, but I'm hoping to be organized enough to make lists of what we're low on and bring it each time we camp. I also hope to save on set up and tear down time, and make camping more appealing to the teens with the introduction of an onboard bathroom.

We're mostly weekend warriors, and so far have not ventured outside of RV resort parks. Would like to try state parks and perhaps boon docking, but not in the no-potty, no-A/C, no leg-room pop up.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellie B View Post
Unfortunately we do not have a driveway and city ordinances prevent us from parking it on the street overnight. We keep the PUP, and any subsequent camper, in my mom's barn some 40 miles away.

It will never be easy to inventory the camper, but I'm hoping to be organized enough to make lists of what we're low on and bring it each time we camp. I also hope to save on set up and tear down time, and make camping more appealing to the teens with the introduction of an onboard bathroom.

We're mostly weekend warriors, and so far have not ventured outside of RV resort parks. Would like to try state parks and perhaps boon docking, but not in the no-potty, no-A/C, no leg-room pop up.
I keep a list of consumables stuck to the inside of a cupboard door. It helps to go through it once in a while.

Gotta love that city ordinance. I'm betting they're right there ready to collect your money to keep your license tags up to date!
Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #12

We love state parks (they are usually cheaper than RV resorts too!)! The ones we have stayed in have had several bathhouses so that has never been a problem. You can usually look at a map of the campgrounds on the park's website.