Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #1

Rear Bumper on Jayco's

Why is it that on both of the new Jayco's I have bought, Jayco doesn't want me to use the bumper for anything or it voids Warranty? I know that the 2007 29 Bhs TT prob. shouldn't have anything on the bumper, but the 2014 Jayco Eagle 31.5 FBHS should be able to hold up to some kind a weight. What do you all think?
Shawng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #2

You could have ordered it with a bike rack/cargo tray on the rear. I would see if it can be dealer installed so it's covered under the warranty.

PS. You have the next camper that the wife and I want! I love the layout with the bunks up front!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawng View Post
Why is it that on both of the new Jayco's I have bought, Jayco doesn't want me to use the bumper for anything or it voids Warranty? I know that the 2007 29 Bhs TT prob. shouldn't have anything on the bumper, but the 2014 Jayco Eagle 31.5 FBHS should be able to hold up to some kind a weight. What do you all think?
Anything you customize voids the warranty. The problem is A) some people have no common sense....and B) we live in society of litigation.

It would probably take a 1" thick manual to satisfy the lawyers to cover all the options of what the rear bumper could / could not be used for....

Quite frankly....the rear bumper should not be used as a rear bumper. One small hit and your frame is done.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #4

IMHO I would not use the bumper for anything mounted. I have seen many a time bikes mounted to the rear bumper only to be dragging down the highway of which it is far too late before the owner noticed something was wrong. They are weak, and as stated above would crumple under any "bump".

If you want to mount bikes and do not have the bike rack option go with one of these frame mount setups.

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...urt/13703.html

Then you can plug in a tray or good bike rack without any worry. Another option is the front receiver which I have on my TV and it works great for many things.

You also may still be able to order the tray system for your unit as another option. Even then there are disclaimers in the manual that the tray is "only for bikes". CYA litigation at every turn!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

I just saw a fellow in GA who had a bike rack on his rear bumper (non-JAYCO) and he no longer had a rear bumper attched to his TT. Also a couple of his bikes needed new rims. A back rack cantalievers the weight out too far.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

we have the tray system on our eagle and like it so far. has a 250lb limit. I can put both bikes on it plus our chairs and outdoor carpet. only negative is it compromises the rear clearance and that only affects us when we are in a forest circus campground and they have those lovely concrete pillars that stick way out of the ground and it wont usually clear those. ours did not come from the factory with the tray but did have all the hardware already on the trailer to accept it. our dealer was kind enough to borrow one from another eagle on the lot that had one on it and put it on ours.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (JOF POLL CENTRAL located in the General Jayco chat forum). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote