Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2021, 08:59 AM   #1

Recommendations for new camper

Bought 2021 Jay Flight SLX last week. Would love to start putting our personal touches on it by doing some decorating. Suggestions on how to hang things on the walls? General rule of thumb of screw sizes for walls and cabinets. Also would love ideas on storage mods!
TC camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

Command hooks for hanging things on the walls depending on their weight.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #3

Be careful if you put in screws to make sure you hit studs. Note that the walls are only 2 inches or less thick. I like Command hooks but be warned that to much load will cause them to fail from shock and vibration plus heat/cold. I would not put glass picture frames on the wall.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #4

I mostly use command hooks. Wipe the wall first with a little rubbing alcohol to get best adhesion.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #5

I would not put anything up permanent. Not until you have lived and traveled with it. We found that we needed to hang up a broom, and never got around to putting on an internal door grab bar.

Its kind of like a house. You live in it first then make adjustments.

You might find you need a TV mount but where it should go depends on your unit. Head bonking is not fun.

Depending on what you have the little SLX are weight sensitive.

I guarantee GUARANTEE the bed is a piece of crap. The mattress will need to go and those gawdaful Jayco bedspreads. Pick a nice spread that is a quilt for when your furnace quits. Coordinating pillows.

A kitchen floor memory foam mat

A inside door mat
A rubber tire outside door mat

Anything on the walls : don't be surprised if it ends up on the floor.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
TWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I guarantee GUARANTEE the bed is a piece of crap. The mattress will need to go and those gawdaful Jayco bedspreads. Pick a nice spread that is a quilt for when your furnace quits. Coordinating pillows.
Presuming that yours was a queen, what did you like for a replacement?

Bought our '19 174BH used. on a test-run to baseline the mileage we went to my folks' house and used their front-load washer to do both the queen bed's and the bunkbeds' brown slip covers. The weird material that filled these felt like it would be inadequate to say the least, particularly for adults.

My assumption is any replacement queen mattress for these fairly lightweight units needs itself to be relatively thin and fairly lightweight to fit well in the space, hence asking for recommendations.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #7

We went with a Zinus 10 inch which weighs approximately 50 pounds. But if you can't sleep at night in your camper then why own it? Lots of others like it. Had to add and reinforce the bed lifters to get to underbed storage but worth it. Some have added toppers and liked them but we didn't find it much help. Now have a Zinus in the house!

Old 03-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWX View Post
Presuming that yours was a queen, what did you like for a replacement?

Bought our '19 174BH used. on a test-run to baseline the mileage we went to my folks' house and used their front-load washer to do both the queen bed's and the bunkbeds' brown slip covers. The weird material that filled these felt like it would be inadequate to say the least, particularly for adults.

My assumption is any replacement queen mattress for these fairly lightweight units needs itself to be relatively thin and fairly lightweight to fit well in the space, hence asking for recommendations.
Not really. Mattresses are in a box now and are opened like a Jack in the Box. ie duck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ACK! we paid about $200. Look for something comparable. We do like this mattress and will pull out the mattress ( and bedspread) that comes with our new 212 QB and put this well loved and still supportive one in. Yes it is a Zinus 10 inch. I don't know if fame went to its head.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I mostly use command hooks. Wipe the wall first with a little rubbing alcohol to get best adhesion.
X2!!!

I'm not making this up, but we were camping with some friends here locally and my buddy and I were sitting around our fire watching a couple across the street and a site over decide to do some interior decorating. The guy decided to drill a hole into the exterior wall on the inside of the trailer, for God only knows why, and my buddy and I literally watched the drill bit poke out the exterior wall a good 6", not just one location, but TWO!!! He and I were in absolute shock and both questioned each other on what we just witnessed. She was outside fiddling around with something that they were gonna put on the wall when she saw the second one pop out of the wall not too far from her head. She starts screaming at him and he's completely clueless as to what she's schnooking about.
We watched, and listened, to the repair that consisted of him blasting some silicon into the holes from the outside, gonna wait until it dried and put a couple stickers over the holes.
Another reason I won't buy used.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #10

Welcome from Northeast Illinois.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #11

Went to the Zinus site when I saw the price jump on the 10 inch. Must be leftover stock as Zinus now sells the short queen in 6 or 8 inch thick only on it's website. A whole lot less than $600 at $284. Not sure what the sleep feel would be. Went to 12 inches for our house mattress and it feels about the same as the 10 inch in the Jayco.

Tags
new camper