Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #1

shopping for our first coach

Hello folks!

Well here's our intro...
My wife and I are shopping for our first coach!
I work in IT and she's in the legal field. We each work from home some but are in the process of transitioning into fully remote positions this year so while we will be full time RV'ers we won't be retired, plus we are a little younger than most full timers, in our late 40's. We hope to be on the road by June 2017. About six months ago when we got the bug to do this, neither of us knew anything about RVs, but after countless hours on Youtube and reading hundreds of posts online at a dozen forums, we've narrowed it down to a slightly used Seneca or if I get my choice, an Embark. We like the power and massive torque on these models compared to the somewhat under-powered V10 that seems to power most coaches these days. We've watched a ton of videos showing those coaches struggling up hills. Plus most of the smaller Class C's don't have a high enough ceiling anyway. We were originally sold on 5th wheels, but switched over to Class A's, then found out how they're basically death traps in a collision, then found the C's and finally Super C's. I'm 6'5'' so I need a tall ceiling, and it seems maybe 10% of the coaches on the market can accommodate. We're already minimalists, and we're only going to be towing a little Kia Soul. No pets or kids, just us, so it will seem like a mansion!

If you would be so kind as to allow me to utilize your years of combined experience, I have a few questions off the top of my head (I have a list somewhere).

Let's say I want to take a shower, how long do I need to leave the water heater turned on before I'll have hot water? I would imagine this varies with the make and model, but hopefully some of you actually own a Seneca or Embark and can tell me from your experience.

Regarding the slides on these 2 model Jaycos, how do you know when to let go of the button when you're running them in or out? What happens if you wait an extra second? Will it burn the motor up? How touchy are those systems? How often do they break down? What happens if they stop working when they are out? Is there a manual over ride? how does that work?

If I pull into an RV park and connect my fresh water, can I tell from the outside when the tank is full or do I have to go inside and read the gauge?
I understand I can leave it connected while I'm in the park, but I wouldn't want to do that. I would like to just fill up my fresh water tank then remove the connection. Is this a good or bad idea?

How long do these huge tires last? They are massive.

Are there any mods or upgrades you guys have done that you think are super important?

I'm sure I'll think of something else, but that's enough for now right?

Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brains!

edandkarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #2

Hello to you! Welcome to the forum and happy RV shopping.

I'm sure you'll be swamped with answers (or food for more questions) so I'll back out now!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

Most of your questions apply to pretty much all RV's so I'll give it my best shot.

"Let's say I want to take a shower, how long do I need to leave the water heater turned on before I'll have hot water?"

My 6 gallon heater takes about 20 to 30 minutes to heat up depending on outside temp.

"Regarding the slides on these 2 model Jaycos, how do you know when to let go of the button when you're running them in or out? What happens if you wait an extra second? "

You will hear and see when the slide is full in or out. The motor makes a distinct 'chunk chunk chunk' noise. If you have one of those cordless drills that you can adjust the torque on, it makes a similar noise to what those do when you've screwed something in properly... hard to describe but I'm sure you've heard that noise. You won't burn out the motor with reasonable use.. but as soon as you hear the slide motors making that noise, stop.

"If I pull into an RV park and connect my fresh water, can I tell from the outside when the tank is full or do I have to go inside and read the gauge?"

Water will start shooting out of the small screen that is next to the fill up port. I fill my tank until that happens, you can also hear the water that is shooting into the tank go up in pitch as it gets closer to the top. You have overflow tubes on that unit somewhere, they will start releasing water when you are full. I don't trust the gauges much, they can and often are very misleading.

The question on weather to stay hooked up to water or not is a personal preference. If I have access to on site water, I use it, but I don't fill my tank with it. Saves wear and tear on your pump I believe and I'm not holding 40 gallons of weight I don't need to be holding. You have 2 seperate water connections... 'city water' and your holding tank fresh water storage, only you can decide which one you want to use.. my preference is to use the city water connection when available - and I leave it connected unless I'm going to be away from the camper.

Don't know how long those tires will last, that's up to how many miles you put on them, speeds. I would hope you could get 3 years out of them.

I'm sure you will get other replies regarding mods, etc for your particular unit that I can't speak to.

Welcome to the forum, and happy travels.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Most of your questions apply to pretty much all RV's so I'll give it my best shot.

"Let's say I want to take a shower, how long do I need to leave the water heater turned on before I'll have hot water?"

My 6 gallon heater takes about 20 to 30 minutes to heat up depending on outside temp.

I'm sure you will get other replies regarding mods, etc for your particular unit that I can't speak to.

Welcome to the forum, and happy travels.
The traditional Atwood hot water heater (HWH) will heat and recover quicker if both the electric and propane sources are applied together.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Site Team

WELCOME TO JOF!!!

The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Bansai got your questions answered. We put our hot water heater on a 1/2 hour before using the shower. We put it on in the morning for about the same amount of time and it keeps the water pretty warm all day, for dishes....

We always use the "CITY" water connection where available. Get a inline filter if there is none.
We put 5 gallons of water in the Fresh Water Tanks for travel purposes.

Since you will be working remotely here are a few links that may help you out in that area.

Posts on "Working Remotely"

Need a stronger Wi-Fi signal for your laptops? Visit our Social Group for Wi-Fi Signal Extenders

So as your are traveling and you pull into a parking lot of one of the following, McDonald's, Walmart, Home Depot.... they all have FREE Wi-Fi, link your Wi-Fi extender to one of there free Wi-Fi's have lunch get a few hours of work in.. or get your traveling in for the day.. go to Walmart, ask the manager if you can stay over night in their parking lot (most Walmarts will allow you to stay over night), set up your Wi-Fi extender and work for a few hours... wake up... get another hour of work in and hit the road.

And if you plan on eventually adding SOLAR and or DEEP CYCLE Batteries here is our Social Group "RVing with SOLAR"

Good Luck,

Don

My Registry
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

Much appreciated everyone! Good info here.
We do plan on installing a full solar setup for boon docking.
Maybe not right away but in the near future, and have done some research in that area.
We are considering this GoPower setup and utilizing a full bank of Lithium Ion batteries. We would probably add a few panels to essentially double this for 960 watts.
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-Sola...omplete+system
edandkarla is offline   Reply With Quote