Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Shore power to inverter

2017 Whitehawk, can I plug my shore power into a 2000 watt inverter
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

Yes, just make sure you turn off the onboard battery charger
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Yes, just make sure you turn off the onboard battery charger
Thanks for the reply. I just talked to Jayco support about this, he said doing this may damage the controller
Old 12-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I just talked to Jayco support about this, he said doing this may damage the controller
Old 12-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
What controller? The battery charger? I do this on my trailer and just turn off the breaker for the charger, otherwise it'll try to charge the batteries using the batteries. No difference between AC from an inverter and AC from a shore connection (assuming a PSW inverter, even a MSW inverter will be fine).
Old 12-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

If you have shore power why do you think you need to use your inverter? The inverter takes 12v from your batteries and inverts it into 120v. Shore power is 120v. What your asking from an electrical standpoint makes no sense at all.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can plug your trailer shore power cord into an inverter. Like PlayersZ28 said, just turn off the breaker for the converter/charger.

Unless you have a bank of batteries, you will run out of battery power soon if you are trying to power high current devices (fridge, microwave, air cond, electric heater).

EDIT: Oops! My bad. Corrected 'converter' to 'inverter'. (Thanks Vicr)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

He didn't say converter, he said 2000watt inverter.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
What will you gain? All lights in trailer are 12 v, you would be better off using an extension cord directly to the Inverter for a TV or Microwave.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
If you have shore power why do you think you need to use your inverter? The inverter takes 12v from your batteries and inverts it into 120v. Shore power is 120v. What your asking from an electrical standpoint makes no sense at all.
The OP is looking for a way to power up the trailer when not on hookups using the shore power cord. Easy way to do it that doesn't need a transfer switch as you can only have it plugged into one source at a time.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
What will you gain? All lights in trailer are 12 v, you would be better off using an extension cord directly to the Inverter for a TV or Microwave.
But that would require dragging a cord across the floor and unplugging the item from its regular plug and connecting to the extension. There isn't much parasitic on the AC line so easier to use the shore cord.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
The short answer is "YES" .... IF you disconnect the TT's battery charge controller, while running on batteries only. I recommend only using PSW type inverters, MUCH safer for the electronic circuit boards in the TT.

Here are a couple ways of accomplishing what you want to do.. one takes place automatically the other requires actually plugging into the prewired inverter.

Automatically - Purchase an automatic transfer switch, they cost less than $100 for a 50Amp, a 30 Amp is even cheaper.

OR

Like I did 5 years ago, I wired into 4x4 electrical boxes for the shore power in one and inverter in another, I connected the male shore power plug to the TT's Electrical control center.

When we are dry-camping I plug the TT into the inverter outlet when on shore power I plug into the shore power outlet.

Unless you wire the TT's battery charge controller into a relay that only gets 110VAC when on Shore power, you will need to wire the battery charge controller into its own 110VAC breaker. There should be 2 spare in the unit.

See pictures below.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - AUTOMATIC Transfer Switch.jpg   SOLAR - ShorePower or Inverter.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #13

These days the specs on lots of things are terribly exaggerated. Over the past few years I've tried 3 different Pure Sine Wave inverters. Every one of them made the microwave growl like it was going to attack us. I ended up taking them back and even now don't have one for camping. In all fairness, I'm sure there are PSW inverters that would work fine. I just haven't found one at the right price.

I do have an inverter type generator that runs the home microwave ok. I just don't like the engine noise for camping.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
These days the specs on lots of things are terribly exaggerated. Over the past few years I've tried 3 different Pure Sine Wave inverters. Every one of them made the microwave growl like it was going to attack us. I ended up taking them back and even now don't have one for camping. In all fairness, I'm sure there are PSW inverters that would work fine. I just haven't found one at the right price.

I do have an inverter type generator that runs the home microwave ok. I just don't like the engine noise for camping.
My 2k Xantrex PSW runs the m/w fine. Quiet too
Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #15
Site Team

My Ramsond 1500 runs the microwave fine..

What is the battery voltage when you are running the inverter/microwave. What is the AC voltage?

If your battery voltage is around 12VDC, your inverter is probably only putting out about 98 - 100VDC. Inverters are designed to be run at 13VDC, where you will find the output at 115 - 120VAC.

The AC digital voltage monitor below may not work on a non-PWM inverter.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg   ELECTRONICS - 110VAC Digital Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post

When it comes to quality electronics that work as designed then you pay for it. PSW inverters aren't cheap but cheap inverters are just that, cheap.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #17

Just installed PSW 1000 with key less remote.Ran an extension from batteries along frame to rear of camper.Drill a hole through the floor installed an outlet.Finally have power for my TV,no more Honda to watch TV.Quiet!
Attached Thumbnails
Kaibab.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Just installed PSW 1000 with key less remote.Ran an extension from batteries along frame to rear of camper.Drill a hole through the floor installed an outlet.Finally have power for my TV,no more Honda to watch TV.Quiet!
... but keep an eye on your battery voltage.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #19

This camper we did a solar package almost two years ago.Love it will be interesting to see how much of a drain the TV is. Manufacturer claims it draws 75 watts.And there's not much Solar happening at night lol! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote