Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #1

Smile Solo newbie looking to full-time

Hello!

I just purchased a Jayco Jay Flight SLX Baja 195RB (not sure if all those terms are in the right order) and am relatively new to RV life. I've set up and packed out twice and am starting to get the hang of it, but will definitely be putting together a list so I don't forget things.

Anyway, for the full timers out there - my biggest concerns lie in if I'll be able to successfully take my 9-5 office job out on the road. What have your experiences been with Wifi connectivity? Reliability? Any suggestions on tech gear or data plans?

Any help is much appreciated.

Trying not to let all the anxieties and things I haven't yet checked off get in the way of my excitement.

Thanks!
incognitocandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:50 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!

Not a full timer, but work on the road a lot, using 30-40 GB of data/month. We ended up going with a truly unlimited AT&T data plan from a third party reseller and have had no issues whatsoever, even in high congestion areas.

Tried to use campground WiFi initially but coverage was generally spotty and/or extremely slow.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #3

Good to know, thank you! I was definitely not even considering the campground wifi, too unreliable is there a link to your unlimited plan you could share?
incognitocandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #4

Welcome from Northeast Illinois!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #5

I think a lot of this is going to depend on where you plan on going. Most national and state parks that I've been in have poor to no reception on cell. You can go to the RV parks which are more expensive, but you'll have cell reception.

If you plan to boondock (stay out in the middle of nowhere with no hook-ups or in national/state parks, you'll need a cell booster to get the signal up to a point where it works. Finding the unlimited plan that is reasonable price and a booster will be extremely important. Lots of articles, videos on it.

If you don't plan to have full hook-ups, look at solar. Most RVs now are built 'solar-ready' so the wiring is in place, just need to add a charger and panel. A single 100W may be enough to keep you going with lights, water pump. Charging computer and you may need another. Remember you don't want your lead acid/AGM battery get below 50% or it never recovers (won't fully charge, doesn't hold charge long). I've seen some recommend not less than 60%. My battery was already damaged by the time I picked up my units b/c the dealers don't leave them plugged in and there's always a slow draw unless you put in a battery disconnect. If you plan to boondock often, check into lithium (LiPo4) batteries. They hold longer charge, can discharge to 15-10% without damage, weigh much less and usually hold higher charge. You may need to upgrade RV battery charger though. Full time living, you'll need to make sure you always have power for the devices that let you work remotely.

RV'ing is a learning experience every time you go out. It will be fun and frustrating, but some of the best times will be had.

Good luck!