Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2024, 06:57 AM   #1

Supplies for washing and waxing a 5th wheel

This is my first post. I have bought a 2016 North Point 377RLBH.

I need to purchase supplies for washing and waxing the exterior.

What is a proven winner to do this? Including long handled brushes.

Thanks so much,
John Mark
Rural South Alabama
Big Field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:14 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum from North Texas.

For washing our rig, we use products from Swobbit. They have fixed and telescoping poles. We use the telescoping poles (2) and swivel plates with the microfiber and sheepskin heads. It's a little pricey but we wash the rig from the ground. We use their water blades to dry but I end up on ladder with some microfiber towels to finish off the drying.

For waxing, we've used Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine wax but the last couple of waxes we've used Zaino, which is what we use for our car/truck but it's more labor intensive. Lot's of good products our there for waxing. Some use spray on products that are easier to apply, just not convinced they are as durable as the hand/machine applied products.
20 Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:17 AM   #3

Proven winner? You’ll get a lot of opinions on best washing and waxing products to use. Type “waxing” in the search box up top, click “posts,” and you’ll see lots of threads on waxing your TT. As for tools, I keep it simple: A large, wide bucket, telescoping pole brush with soft bristles, Meguiar’s car wash for washing and Meguiar’s RV/Marine No. 50 for waxing in the spring. DW bought me one of those aluminum folding scaffolds for Fathers Day a while back. Great for getting up high enough to scrub the front of the TT. And a stepladder to wash and spray down the roof.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:34 AM   #4

There are lots of options. Also depends if you want to go all out or just keep it clean. I'm more about keeping it clean and not spend days doing it. I would just wash and wax just like you do to your vehicles.

I bucket wash. I primarily use a telescoping handled carwash brush that can have a hose connected to it. I never do connect a hose. The brush head is big and wraps around multiple sides of the head. As for soap, I use a Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax. Does a good job cleaning but does not really bead up. Once a year I use Meguiars Paint Perfect, but I think it is discontinued. It beads up for over a year. Bad thing about it, I cannot put it on as thin as the instructions state, so I do tend to give the camper a quick wash the next day.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:52 AM   #5
CAG

For the fourth or fifth time I had a detail job done on one of our vehicles this month and had the detailer tell me he was going to switch to the product that I asked him to use. One of those was the detail shop at Danny's Car Wash which is a large chain in Phoenix. That product is Rejex and I have used it for 15 years or more including for all of the RVs we have owned. Most of these detailers use high end products but have switched because of the protection and shine that Rejex gives.

Just about any Auto Zone or other wash product will do a good wash job and a long handled brush-water applicator is manditory.

I have tried several spray on waxes over the years, just experimenting and one that some rave about here do not last through the summer months exposed to the elements where we stay in the mountains. I have always come back to Rejex.

There are volumes of threads about washing and waxing that, as was mentioned, can be found with a search here.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM   #6

I wash with car soap, than wax with Meguiar's hybrid ceramic spray wax. basically spray it on and hose it off.
after treatment it really made love bug removal on my last rig (motorhome) real easy.

on my car/truck I do it the old fashioned way but use meguiar's ceramic liquid wax
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:57 PM   #7

I've got a foam cannon for washing at home. Spray on the foam, let it slowly work on dirt/bugs/grease on the side of the camper. Wash the ROOF first. Wash your gutters too, get all the dirt out of your gutters. Clean roof and gutters are less white streaks.

I just use a regular brush to scrub anything that needs scrubbed.

Rubbing compound on black streaks to get rid of them. I like to follow up with Turtle Wax Seal n Shine for a finish.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:41 AM   #8

I was always taught (and verified it works) to wash from the bottom up. this way the soaps that rinse off from washing the top don't cause the dirt still on the sides from causing streaks.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:45 AM   #9

Megular's for washing and waxing is the winner.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this thread. I knew there were many opinions. Searching the internet was confusing with all the results.

70% of the post mentioned Megular's for washing and waxing.
Big Field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:41 AM   #10

Welcome from Northern California!! Put me in the 70% Meguiar’s club.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0705.jpg  
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:46 AM   #11

I've used either Meguiar's or Mother's products with equal excellent results.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 01:12 PM   #12

I, too am a big fan of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax for washing my rig. As far as protection, I have never found a product that you can just spray on and walk away. Sorry folks, but if you want a true layer of protection, you have to put in the labor to put it on and rub it off.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:53 PM   #13

I’m a fan of Meguiar’s car wash and Meguiar’s boat &RV wax.
Roll On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:58 PM   #14

I use a soft brush or a window washing pad on extendable handles with Meguiar's or other brands of care wash soap and a squeegee to dry. I have used Mequiar's cleaner & wax, in burgundy colored bottle for years, with great results that last a year or more.
I just recently started using Rejex that was mentioned in the thread. It goes on very easily using just a very small amount. It leaves a great smooth finish and the bugs seem to wash off easily as well.
Arndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
For the fourth or fifth time I had a detail job done on one of our vehicles this month and had the detailer tell me he was going to switch to the product that I asked him to use. One of those was the detail shop at Danny's Car Wash which is a large chain in Phoenix. That product is Rejex and I have used it for 15 years or more including for all of the RVs we have owned. Most of these detailers use high end products but have switched because of the protection and shine that Rejex gives.

Just about any Auto Zone or other wash product will do a good wash job and a long handled brush-water applicator is manditory.

I have tried several spray on waxes over the years, just experimenting and one that some rave about here do not last through the summer months exposed to the elements where we stay in the mountains. I have always come back to Rejex.

There are volumes of threads about washing and waxing that, as was mentioned, can be found with a search here.

I use Rejex as well, easy to go on and off. Use it once a year, maybe more on the front cap. The only difference between us is that I am the detailer for better or worse lol. Takes me about a day.