Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

To Buy or Keep Shopping?

Greetings Jayco Owners, we are seriously considering the Octane T32C. I have been all over the internet and have realized that Jayco owners love their rigs. Would love anything insightful you are willing to share. Our concerns: plastic sinks (scratch easily?), upgrade to 15k BTU or is 13 enough (this is our first RV), party deck ( over rated or used often?). This is our first foray into RV'ing and just want to create family memories. Thanks for your time!
Mischa and Derby
Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #2

Hello and welcome to the forum, I can't give you much advice about the unit in question, but I can definitely agree to making great family memories, our first of two sons where born in 95' and we picked up a new Jayco 264BH trailer the next year, our sons have camped with us for the last 19 years and we had two units in that time frame, we just ordered our 3rd unit, that is more suitable for just me and wife, oh and our two walking partners, Char Pie dogs......for me It did take long deciding what unit, so good luck and enjoy the family time in a RV......you won't regret it.....
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:36 AM   #3

Plastic sink, I'd just say don't throw a big cast iron pot in it. Not sure on the Octane, but the Jay Flight sinks are quite thin. We only wash the smaller dishes in it. I hate them, but have lived with them. Yes, they will scratch, but that never stopped us from using it. We did buy it to use, a LOT. On the AC, 15k without question. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Party deck, I'm not real familiar with the Octane, but I'm guessing you're talking about a rear ramp being a deck. I have no experience with these and feel I wouldn't use it if I had it. Overrated to me. We like all our stuff set up on the door side, but that's just us. Out of all the haulers I've seen in campgrounds, very few ramps were being used as a party deck. The fact that most have no stair access to them when set up, deems them useless to me. There are only a handful of manf that make a deck with stair access.

Hope yall enjoy your new RV when you get it. We're on our 8th one and have previously full timed, so it goes without saying, RVing is our drug of choice.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:37 AM   #4

Welcome!

I can't answer anything about your specific unit either, but agree with BigJohn about the sink and 15k. I am looking into replacing our current sinks with stainless but have to figure out how to get them out of the unit without taking the counter top off. On the AC, we only have one, and have found that in order to be comfortable in the bedroom we have to almost freeze ourselves out of the living area - when the time comes we will definitely go with the second unit in our next TT.

You're right, camping is definitely about making family memories. 2014 was our first year out and we've already had a number of experiences (all good) that we'll never forget. The best advise we were given was to take it slow and easy, and be methodical. We heeded that advice and it worked well for us - ~4900 miles and 40 night with no issues.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum!

I can't help with any of your questions about the equipment. But while our kids were growing up, we did lots of camping in tent trailers and a class-B motorhome.
Ahhh the memories... ... all good; even when things didn't go exactly as planned.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #6

Bigger Ac always better...party deck great looking and makes you want to purchase more...but I have friends who have them and they never get used. So I wouldn't waste the extra $$ on the party deck.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #7

Welcome to the JOF! and good luck making your decision!

The sinks are acrylic to keep the weight to a minimum. They are reasonably durable, but they will scratch. Then again, so will the vinyl floor, the fiberglass sidewalls, the cabinets, . . . I think you get the idea. You're suppose to have fun in a trailer, so don't worry too much about keeping it show-room perfect! The one caution about the kitchen sink: be sure to run some warm water (not cold) in the bowl when you're dumping boiling water into it (ie. draining pasta, etc.) That will prevent cracking from thermal shock. I also agree with the earlier post that recommended NOT setting hot pots or pans in it - especially cast iron, because it retains heat so well. Just let them cool down for a few minutes and you'll be fine.

As for the deck; I've not seen anyone use theirs in the 6 months I've been full timing. But if you think you might use it, by all means go for it! Of course, you can always just prop your ramp up with some blocks, and attach some mesh to the opening with some Velcro to keep the bugs out of the rig. Viola! Party Deck!

Good luck with your decision, and Happy Camping!
Old 01-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #8

Exceptionally minor upgrade cost to get the 15K AC right now is worth it. If you get the 13.5K and find out its too small, its quite a bit more expensive to replace it.

Just go easy on the sink, you should be fine. Personally we wash most dishes outside at the outdoor shower. Easier to move around, less grey water issues to deal with etc. Invest in a 4 or 6 foot folding plastic table and a Rubbermaid tote to use as the "sink" outside.

Like others have said, the party deck looks like an awesome idea... but it is any better than standing outside the RV and hanging out? Its not covered, so you get no benefit in the rain or hot sun. Its limited by weight and size, whereas your campsite isn't. It encourages more people to wander around the private areas of your RV, whereas if they were outside they would be significantly less likely to use your bathroom, etc.

RV'ing is a great way to make memories with the family. We grew up going camping. Mostly small weekend trips once or twice a year, but we did go across country for 6 weeks when I was 14. Took the bride camping 9 years ago and she loved it as much as I did. Bought our own camper 4 years ago. 2 years ago we introduced our 1 month old daughter to camping, she loves it too. Hopefully in a couple of months we will have a new camper to introduce our newborn son to camping as well! Its a great family tradition, especially if you have (or make) friends with fellow campers. We usually do 3 to 5 trips a year with a group of friends... makes it that much better!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum..Happy camping
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

I agree with most of these posts. I wouldn't worry about the sink, spend the minor fee (it was $100 when I ordered my unit last summer) and get the bigger A/C; and the party deck, while looking cool, doesn't provide any real function the campsite can't IMHO. So I'd skip that. Good luck!
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #11

Thanks all! We already feel welcome and haven't even purchased yet. :-) Definitely upgrade AC, be careful with the sink, and party deck just looks cool. Love the idea of a tote sink outside. Our kids are cheering us on to buy them an RV! I think we may pull the trigger tomorrow and buy. Then we will officially be Jayco Owners! One more question: any issues with warranty or service? Sorry, first time buyers....
Cheers, Mischa
Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 AM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
Thanks all! We already feel welcome and haven't even purchased yet. :-) Definitely upgrade AC, be careful with the sink, and party deck just looks cool. Love the idea of a tote sink outside. Our kids are cheering us on to buy them an RV! I think we may pull the trigger tomorrow and buy. Then we will officially be Jayco Owners! One more question: any issues with warranty or service? Sorry, first time buyers....
Cheers, Mischa
Easy to make your own or don't even bother to put in a drain.
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #13

you can't get stainless sink on that model?
Agree about the party deck.
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #14

I think you should buy it and start making memories. Our kids are grown now, still come to spend the day with when we go camping.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #15

Thanks. Finishing our MSRP/offer/quote research. I'm officially ready to do this since we are ordering and will take a while to get here. I'm ready to start making some memories ☺
Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #16
Site Team

Welcome to the site!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #17

We have a 2014 Octane T29A. It is 1' shorter than the T32C, but weight is real close. We love it and have around 10,000 miles on it so far. If the T32C was available last year we would have got it for the slideout's with the extra room. We travel with 2 - 90# Labradors and usually a grandchild or two. Definitely get the 15AC. We were talked into the patio deck and never used it. Just a heads up about tongue weight, ours runs right at 1,950 # by both tongue scale and Cat weights. That is with empty tanks. We do have the 4K generator option which probably adds some tongue, just don't be surprised.
Good luck with the new Octane, I'm sure you will enjoy it for many wonderful journeys making memories.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #18

I think the question about the deck can only be answered by you and taking into consideration where you plan to use the TH. If you are going to primarily camp in campgrounds I agree that you will likely not use the party deck. However if you are going to be dry camping in dispersed camping areas the deck might be rather useful.

We camp a lot in the Pismo Beach area, campgrounds not the dunes. However we have friend who regularly camps on the dunes in their TH. Last week we visited their camp and that deck was awesome and used. It was extremely nice to be able to be outside but up off the sand.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote