Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #1

Question Total Newbie - to RV's

My DH and I are thinking of entering the RV world. In our earlier years we wilderness backpacked; later did the whole boating scene, and now in our older years we are wanting to explore the USA (occassionaly with grandkids in tow). We are currently looking at a new 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL.

As you probably suspect, we know absolutely nothing about RVs and would appreciate any advice offered. Several questions come to mind -

1) Scratchig our head about getting around once we setup camp. Realistically, I think we will want to get out and explore countryside, town, eateries, etc. Ideas around toads, other options, etc. welcome.

2) Best training resources (manuals, videos, YouTube) about setting up and breaking down camp.

3) Thoughts on Jayco models (an any specifically around Precepts Class A, 31UL model)? Top price for 2016 models?

4) Best, must do, RV vacation site you have experienced...

Currently, we are not retired (sigh). Which means, right now our motorhome will be used for vacations (and any weekend get-aways). If this thing really takes off for us, we could possibly see ourselves moving to full time Rv'ing in our retirement years. (Of course, that will be a whole other thread )

DH loves to fish; I love to draw. Keep in mind that we currently do not own a vehicle large enough to tow a travel trailer, 5th wheel, etc.

All thoughts, advice welome my friends.
JanzRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #2

Having never owned a Class A, I can't offer much in the way of comments on that. But for general RV education and info on places to vacation, etc., YouTube is a fabulous resource. RV Education 101 - videos, DVDs, books, tips and information for RVers is a great resource and YT has lots of their videos. Longlonghoneymoon is another. Once you watch a few videos, your recommendations will fill in the gaps pretty quickly.

There are also some really well done videos on the different models of Precepts available -- usually done by dealers but helpful nonetheless. Check it out.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum from another new member. I can't help with your question but I can tell you, you have come to the right place!
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

Without a toad your stuck! Every time you want to go someplace you have to break down and then re-setup and that would be almost every day. And it's not a good idea to leave some things behind for the day either. Finding places to park when your out and about will be a challenge many times. A TT or a 5th wheel makes it so much easier for getting out and about or just going to the store. If you need to go to the Hardware store and you will believe me you'll need to take everybody with the class A.
Just my .02
Old 07-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Without a toad your stuck! Every time you want to go someplace you have to break down and then re-setup and that would be almost every day. And it's not a good idea to leave some things behind for the day either. Finding places to park when your out and about will be a challenge many times. A TT or a 5th wheel makes it so much easier for getting out and about or just going to the store. If you need to go to the Hardware store and you will believe me you'll need to take everybody with the class A.
Just my .02
I agree with Tunce. Besides, a Class A is way over my pay grade. LOL
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #6

In addition to fishing and drawing, perhaps you and DH could take up another hobby together. Motorcycles make great toads. Lightweight, cheaper than a car to operate, you can park them almost anywhere, and on a bike the destination isn't as important as the journey.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

X2 to Tunce and havnfun. We own a small trailer (X19H) and would love to have a 5th Wheel. Need a good truck though. My strongest recommendation is to buy USED. A new RV may be quite attractive, but I have seen many that are as much as 5 years old that are just about equal depending on the care the owner took. They are also MUCH cheaper. You know, once you drive a RV (or car/truck, for that matter) off the lot, you lose many thousands of dollars!

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote