Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Tow Capacity

Hello all. I've spent the past several days browsing the forum topics and am impressed with the amazing amount of information available for newbies such as me on this amazing website. I'm also impressed by the genuine warmth and friendliness demonstrated by all. Camping folks are the best!

Now the question: After months of research on the net and in the field, we have narrowed the search for a new...and our first...rv to a Jayco Jayflight 26BH. The floorplan works best for us, and I don't feel the need for a slide unit...extra weight, potential leakage and one more motor to break down and eventually replace. My tow vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 with the tow package offering a maximum 6500 lbs. towing capacity. The 26bh has a dryweight of 4700lbs, and I'm not sure if that includes the hitch weight. The dealer says it does, but I have received conflicting information from other sources that confuses the issue for me. I'm concerned that the weight of the 26bh will be too much for my truck once the cargo, human and otherwise, starts adding upwards to 6000 lbs. The dealers have all assured me that my truck is more than adequate for the 26bh, but I would prefer to hear that from people who have actual camping experience in these matters rather than salesmen trying to close a deal. Thanks in advance for your insights.
__________________

Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bellefonte, PA
Posts: 167
The 4700# dry weight is as it sits on the dealer lot, no water, no pots & pans, no food, no cloths, no stuff you carry with you. The 6500# your Tacoma can pull includes all of this plus the weight of those riding in the truck. The weight sitting on your hitch is something else. Oh, and don't expect 18 MPG out of the V6.
__________________

paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks PA. I'm already mentally prepared for MPG shock. My truck gets 20mpg on the highway, but I've been warned to expect 10 MPG with a tt in tow. BTW, have you set up your tt at Poe Paddy State Park? I like to fish Penns Creek but am concerned that the 26bh may be a tight fit in that campground. My friends and I are already looking forward to the Green Drake hatch. Better yet if we can return from a successful night of fishing to the comforts of the RV. We're all getting too old for tent camping.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
Hello all. I've spent the past several days browsing the forum topics and am impressed with the amazing amount of information available for newbies such as me on this amazing website. I'm also impressed by the genuine warmth and friendliness demonstrated by all. Camping folks are the best!

Now the question: After months of research on the net and in the field, we have narrowed the search for a new...and our first...rv to a Jayco Jayflight 26BH. The floorplan works best for us, and I don't feel the need for a slide unit...extra weight, potential leakage and one more motor to break down and eventually replace. My tow vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 with the tow package offering a maximum 6500 lbs. towing capacity. The 26bh has a dryweight of 4700lbs, and I'm not sure if that includes the hitch weight. The dealer says it does, but I have received conflicting information from other sources that confuses the issue for me. I'm concerned that the weight of the 26bh will be too much for my truck once the cargo, human and otherwise, starts adding upwards to 6000 lbs. The dealers have all assured me that my truck is more than adequate for the 26bh, but I would prefer to hear that from people who have actual camping experience in these matters rather than salesmen trying to close a deal. Thanks in advance for your insights.
Weight wise you should be ok. Don't expect to set any speed records with the V6 though.

The trailer is 4700. The average person takes between 400-700lbs worth of stuff with them. Then you have the passengers and the extra stuff in the vehicle. According to your vehicle specs you are fine.

Little story though; I took my F150 that had the 4.6 V8 and towed a few different trailers with it, one of them the 26BH. I decided that with the small V8 I would stick with nothing but pop-ups. It just didn't have the power. You are going to experience the same thing with the V6. I can almost guarantee you will be trading trucks in the near future.

Honest answer from someone working in the RV Industry.
__________________
Wes Simkins
Masters Certified 2010-2011
Jayco Parts & Warranty
http://parts.cunninghamcampers.com
Jayco Parts Specialists Since 1973
I Got My Good Sam Membership For $19.00
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
I think your concerns on the weights are justified, and you got a dealer that wants to sell a trailer really bad. The GVWR on that trailer alone is 7500lbs. Now that is not saying you will ever approach that figure. The empty weight on the Jayco website is 4725lbs. It will weigh more then this published weight when delivered,(I know this from experience) there will be a yellow sticker telling the actual weight with full propane tanks but before adding anything else such as battery, WD hitch, and anything YOU put in the rig. Then there is the cargo you put in the truck and the people as you mentioned. It all adds up and with a 6500 lbs tow rating, a short wheel base truck with a v6 towing a 29'+TT weighing in probably at 6000+ loaded, and a loaded tongue weight around 700 lbs, will not be a fun ride and the Tacoma will struggle IMO. I think you should investigate these numbers a little more before taking the plunge in order to possibly avoid a combination that may not work for you, and I`m not a member of the "weight police", the TT and truck combination that I currently have I feel is marginal at best. Best of luck.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The empty weight on the Jayco website is 4725lbs. It will weigh more then this published weight when delivered,(I know this from experience) there will be a yellow sticker telling the actual weight with full propane tanks but before adding anything else such as battery, WD hitch, and anything YOU put in the rig.
Actually we have one that has all the options and weights just under 4700. The factory weight is with 2 propane bottles that are empty (that was just FYI stuff there).

I agree with you, I wouldn't want to go any distance with that truck. I was uncomfortable with one behind the F150 with the small V8.
__________________
Wes Simkins
Masters Certified 2010-2011
Jayco Parts & Warranty
http://parts.cunninghamcampers.com
Jayco Parts Specialists Since 1973
I Got My Good Sam Membership For $19.00
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by cciparts View Post
Actually we have one that has all the options and weights just under 4700. The factory weight is with 2 propane bottles that are empty (that was just FYI stuff there).

I agree with you, I wouldn't want to go any distance with that truck. I was uncomfortable with one behind the F150 with the small V8.
Jayco may have changed their policy since 2010 model, but here it is straight from the yellow sticker "The weight of this recreational vehicle trailer as completed at the factory with full propane cylinders and full generator fuel if applicable is 5568 lbs" The published website weight of my rig was 5315lbs. A difference of 253 lbs. Now I realize Jayco does not fill up the tanks before delivery, but they know what a full one weighs and must add on the appropriate amount, but this is really splitting hairs compared to the overall weights the OP is dealing with. Short tows he may be OK, but not far IMO.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Short tows he may be OK, but not far IMO.
Here's another example.... Jeep rates their Liberty at 5,500 lbs tow capacity. I pulled a Jayco 1206 Pop-up with a Liberty and it scarred the living you know what out of me. Never again, thank heavens I was just helping a friend and it was her vehicle.
__________________
Wes Simkins
Masters Certified 2010-2011
Jayco Parts & Warranty
http://parts.cunninghamcampers.com
Jayco Parts Specialists Since 1973
I Got My Good Sam Membership For $19.00
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Boss Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Forest
Posts: 635
My two cents worth on tow ratings. I think they must rate them in Kansas, Nebraska or some other flat state with straight border lines. Over the past few years tow ratings have really gone up. Now 150's or 1500 pickem ups are rated at what the 350's or 3500's were several years back. I know that horsepower and torque ratings have increased dramatically, but I think tow ratings are like the fuel economy ratings of 20 years ago which were way off.

Someone on here commented about a dealer that spoke of the frontal area of the trailer. I had never heard of any other dealer of manufacturer acknowledging that before, but that is perhaps a bigger consideration than the weight. Once you get the weight rolling and up to speed the drag is what is really the culprit.

When I towed a Geo Tracker (about 2300 lbs) with a Class A motorhome the gas mileage was virtually the same as driving without it.

That's my two cents. I think all ratings are high, for merely marketing purposes. Tomorrow I'll wish I didn't even post this!
__________________
2010 Jayco 17Z
99 Ford E-350 Chateau Super Duty V-10

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
av8arkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 224
I think the tow vehicle can make or break a trip just as much as camper problems! A tow vehicle at its limits, IMO, is a bad thing! If you are scared sh@%less or uncomfortable towing, all the fun and relaxing you had camping is lost on the way home! Also, you may not use your camper as often as you may want because of the hastle, of towing! Just my 2 cents!
__________________

__________________
Stephen & Lori
Jordan (Our daughter)
Kitty & Elmore (Our 2 dumped cats)
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.