Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

vicki

We've just gotten started with our 2014 Jayco Redhawk, due to illness. My main complaint after the winter (2017) was that the water was TO HOT!! I cannot find anything that tells how to set the temperature lower. I actually scalded my hands last winter. (My other complaint is the manual thermostat--already found that solution!!) Can the temperature be turned down on the water heater? It is not a tankless heater. Even with this problem I can't wait to hit the road again this winter!!
vickishrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickishrope View Post
We've just gotten started with our 2014 Jayco Redhawk, due to illness. My main complaint after the winter (2017) was that the water was TO HOT!! I cannot find anything that tells how to set the temperature lower. I actually scalded my hands last winter. (My other complaint is the manual thermostat--already found that solution!!) Can the temperature be turned down on the water heater? It is not a tankless heater. Even with this problem I can't wait to hit the road again this winter!!
The water is hot on purpose. Because of the limited size of the tank and available hot water, it is hotter so you need less to make the water comfortable for your shower. Just learn to turn less hot water and more cold water, If they kept it at a lower temperature you would most likely run out before you finished washing.

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickishrope View Post
Can the temperature be turned down on the water heater?
You can double check, but the tanked water heater in our 2008 motorhome had it's thermostat set at 120*F and couldn't be adjusted.

Mixing in cold water was the only way to lower the temp.

I think aftermarket thermostats are available.

A quick Google shows that such things do exist, but you'd have to make sure it works with your exact model of heater:

Adjustable Thermostat
Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

Vicki, nice to hear that you have been able to start enjoying your motorhome following illness. Like others have said, we found the only way to regulate the temp of the water in the shower or sink was to mix in with cold water. Aside from this issue, hope you enjoy your camping experiences.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
The water is hot on purpose. Because of the limited size of the tank and available hot water, it is hotter so you need less to make the water comfortable for your shower. Just learn to turn less hot water and more cold water, If they kept it at a lower temperature you would most likely run out before you finished washing.

Good Luck..
X2
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

Welcome aboard!

X2 to the above. Another option some people will do, is crack open the bypass valve at the water heater. This will temper the water flow coming out of the water heater. You will have to play around with it a bit to find your happy place.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

Not sure about your model, but my Jayco had an Atwood hot water heater. It came with a non-adjustable 140 degree thermostat. As everyone said that is hot! Residential hot water heaters are generally set to 120 or so.

When I measured my hot water temp (after much complaining from my DW), I discovered it was actually running around 150!

To make a long story shorter... the thermostat wasn't making good contact with the tank. After fixing that, it was running more like 140. But that's still way too hot.

There are lots of ways to mix in cold water before the faucets. I like to open the hot water bypass valve about 1/4.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Site Team

WELCOME TO JOF!!!

The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #9

They have mixing valves that they use for residential water heaters. I see no reason a plumber couldn’t install one on your water heater if the plumber can get to it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote