Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Wandering Super C

I have recently purchased a 2005 Seneca 34SS on a Chevy C5500 chassis. When going down the road, the unit seems to want to wander. Is this the nature of the beast or do I have a front end issue?

thanks for any advice.
trailblazer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

Depends on a number of factors. Tell us more about your unit. How long have you had it? How many miles? Is this something that has been going on since you bought it, or just began? Has it been in the shop lately? Do you tend to hit curbs with the front wheels when parking along a street? Does it have the rear air suspension assist? Are the tires all properly inflated? To what pressures? Are all tires matched? Stock suspension, or mods? Shocks from factory? Loaded fairly evenly all around?
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer68 View Post
I have recently purchased a 2005 Seneca 34SS on a Chevy C5500 chassis. When going down the road, the unit seems to want to wander. Is this the nature of the beast or do I have a front end issue?

thanks for any advice.
You gots front-end or wind resistance issues.

All motor vehicles should track generally straight. Letting go of the steering wheel should result in the wheel centering and the vehicle following a reasonably straight course. Anything else, get it checked out NOW!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Yeah, crosswinds do affect what feels like "tracking". All other things being correct, this will always be something of an issue while essentially driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a grand piano down the highway. I experienced that just yesterday.

One additional factor to consider.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

It is something that should be checked out, can be simple as air pressure or bad bushings, to worn or loose suspension. The Kodak should prvive a stable ride.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #6

Some units built on the kodiak chassis have less than a desirable weight ratio behind the axle. I suspected this in my previous Four Winds Chateau 34G, having the same wheelbase as the shorter models it was obvious my extra length was all aft of the rear axle. There is an optimum center of gravity ratio when extending the frame and where the weight is placed on the frame. A concept not always engineered properly by the RV manufacturers.
RogerSwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSwann View Post
Some units built on the kodiak chassis have less than a desirable weight ratio behind the axle. I suspected this in my previous Four Winds Chateau 34G, having the same wheelbase as the shorter models it was obvious my extra length was all aft of the rear axle. There is an optimum center of gravity ratio when extending the frame and where the weight is placed on the frame. A concept not always engineered properly by the RV manufacturers.
Understood. But if this is true, they would all handle like this. They really don't. It's actually a very stable platform. There is something wrong with his particular unit, or the way it's loaded. Likely something minor.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:

thanks for any advice.
Ensure the front tire pressure is at least 85 psi.
Get a front end alignment.
Add a rear trac bar.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Depends on a number of factors. Tell us more about your unit. How long have you had it? How many miles? Is this something that has been going on since you bought it, or just began? Has it been in the shop lately? Do you tend to hit curbs with the front wheels when parking along a street? Does it have the rear air suspension assist? Are the tires all properly inflated? To what pressures? Are all tires matched? Stock suspension, or mods? Shocks from factory? Loaded fairly evenly all around?
Just bought unit so I am not sure of answers to many of your questions. It has 40,000 miles. no rear air suspension assist. Tires are properly inflated. Unit was not loaded at all.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #10

If it's not loaded, the weight distribution won't be that far off. So, that's not likely an issue. Are the front tires wearing evenly?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Just bought unit so I am not sure of answers to many of your questions. It has 40,000 miles. no rear air suspension assist. Tires are properly inflated. Unit was not loaded at all.

Thanks.
Fill the fresh water tank to at least 3/4 full and test drive it again.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Fill the fresh water tank to at least 3/4 full and test drive it again.
Good point. Forgot about that. 400-500 lbs sloshing around in the water tank can affect the handling of the vehicle much like drinking a six pack of Schlitz.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Good point. Forgot about that. 400-500 lbs sloshing around in the water tank can affect the handling of the vehicle much like drinking a six pack of Schlitz.
We have never done it but many owners of RVs swear by traveling with a full or partially full fresh water tank to tame the ride.
Even some of the Jayco Precept class A owners agree.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
We have never done it but many owners of RVs swear by traveling with a full or partially full fresh water tank to tame the ride.
Even some of the Jayco Precept class A owners agree.
When we are dry camping, I always start with a full tank. When we are hooking up, I usually have either 1/4 tank or 3/4 tank or more. Never half a tank. It does make a difference.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #15

Many of the early model KODIAK SENECA'S only had 13,500 rear springs and JAYCO paid for upgrades for the original owners. The later units came with 15,000 and others 19,000. Adding water to the tank could make it worse since it is probably behind the rear axle. Adding "Super Springs" and changing the shocks to Bilstein or KONI make a big difference in the handling.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #16

Looks like it. Not much wear on them.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Looks like it. Not much wear on them.
Yeah. So, I drive with 95psi or so in the front tires, either a full water tank or one nearly empty to avoid sloshing of hundreds of lbs of weight. My unit has air assist rear suspension, and ensuring that's over 100 psi makes a huge difference. You could also add Sumo springs in place of air assist or the higher 15k or 19k rear springs, and perhaps the biggest mod is a rear sway bar up to the task of a 15-20k lb rear load on the axle. The aforementioned shock absorber change to Koni seems to be a popular mod with excellent results. And, of course, front wheel alignment is definitely one of the fundamentals to check. The platform is stable, but certain wear patterns, aging components, and technological advances can either create or solve potential issues with handling. Even loading is a big deal, too.