Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Why no air dryers on the Senecas??

So when I got my unit I found the air tank drain valve way under neath, so I added a line and mounted the drain on the generator frame so I could drain it daily. Every time I did this it was full of rusty water. I contacted freightliner and was told the unit had no air dryer, I then contacted Jayco and was told they do not spec their units with air dryers. As a heavy duty mechanic I realize the importance of clean dry air for proper air bag and brake function so am now installing one cost 2700.00 out of pocket seems like something Jayco should be doing as freezing air systems could be a safety factor . Any one else experience this?
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

Our previous motorhome a 40' diesel pusher which rode on a custom chassis built by the same large company had the filter. Where it was mounted always made it a pain in the neck to change.
It's wise that you are able install a drain and filter system. It's hard to imagine why Freightliner wouldn't have the system on an air-equipped chassis.
Perhaps the "disconnect" happened between Freightliner, the chassis extender company, and Jayco.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

I have discovered the same thing on my new 2016 Seneca. I've done a lot of research over the past week and luckily have some good friends in the trucking industry. Air dryers are not required but are a very good idea if you do any cold weather traveling. I've learned that it is short starts/trips that are an issue as that is when moisture is created and does not have a chance to evaporate out of the system. I'm adding an air dryer for about $1,500 (I was quoted $3,100 which my trucking friends said was outrageous, so I made more calls). The air dryer will require annual maintenance/change out of the filter, but it will also 1) ensure break lines don't freeze up, which leaves you stranded, and 2) protects the system from rust. I am going to contact Jayco to give them the feedback, but I'm sure they assume most RVs are being used in warm weather, so they don't order the chassis with the air dryers.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

Added Dryer

I too had this concern and was told the same thing. I added the dryer and it cost $1800 at Freightliner. Money very well spent.
tchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

Its all about price point

retired Jayco sales guy, I never saw a Seneca with air dryer. Price point is what a regional sales rep will tell us sales folks.
I have driven trucks since a pup on the farm in Iowa, not having a air dryer is a disaster soon to happen.
I always recommend to Seneca customers to add on ASAP, better yet put it in the deal upfront. Saves worry and out of pocket later.
Should Jayco have specified one, yes. Freightliner shouldn't even build it without one.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Any chance you have pics of the dryer install? Was the coach pre-wired for the dryer heater?
Thanks
Shaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #7

I don't have pics and will not be near my rig for a couple of weeks. The dryer is mounted on the passenger side in front of the tire on the chassis. I believe there was another thread on the forum in which someone mounted theirs on the driver's side. I had mine done at a Freightliner dealership. They also installed air release valves for me. I doubt it was pre-wired, but am happy to look closer and send you pictures in a couple of weeks.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Thank you!
Now that I know where it mounts, I can check for the wiring.
Just switched from an A class to this unit. Some things are the same, but more are different!. Would be happy to see pics when you can.
Shaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #9

They finally started putting the air dryer on starting in 2018.5 when they started using the S2RV chassis. I agree they should have had one all along!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #10

My 2020 Accolade on the S2RV has an air dryer. The Seneca should be the same.

Here is the info from my chassis maintenance manual section 42-16:

"The WABCO System Saver air dryers can use ei- ther a standard or oil coalescing desiccant car- tridge. When replacing the desiccant cartridge, it is very important to use the same type of car- tridge that was originally installed on the dryer. Oil coalescing cartridges can be used in any applica- tion, but require more frequent service intervals (every 1 to 2 years instead of every 2 to 3 years for a standard cartridge). Do not replace an oil co- alescing cartridge with a standard cartridge, as this may result in contamination and malfunction- ing of downstream air system components."
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #11

I discussed this with my buddy who is the fleet service manager when I asked him about our dryer... he said that we could pick up just about any Air-Dryer we wanted and have it installed. He suggested the one they put on their trucks (replacements) at the inlet of the Air tanks. Much more easy to service if they are not under the hood.

Have we put one on yet? Not since we are in the low humidity parts of the country - and we don't have Air-Service Brakes. We have the Air-Parking brake on the driveline.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I discussed this with my buddy who is the fleet service manager when I asked him about our dryer... he said that we could pick up just about any Air-Dryer we wanted and have it installed. He suggested the one they put on their trucks (replacements) at the inlet of the Air tanks. Much more easy to service if they are not under the hood.

Have we put one on yet? Not since we are in the low humidity parts of the country - and we don't have Air-Service Brakes. We have the Air-Parking brake on the driveline.

The ones on the S2 chassis are down by the tanks. I also have cable pull drains on the tanks but Jayco never did anything with them, the cables were just coiled up and zip tied. I finally got around to stringing the cables out to under the battery compartment so I dont have to crawl under to drain after every trip.....even though noting ever comes out having the dryer but still a must do. My only complaint is you are in a dusty area when it purges it can make a pretty big dust cloud and it always seems to happen when pulling into a spot and it annoys the neighbors

Old 04-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My 2020 Accolade on the S2RV has an air dryer. The Seneca should be the same.

Here is the info from my chassis maintenance manual section 42-16:

"The WABCO System Saver air dryers can use ei- ther a standard or oil coalescing desiccant car- tridge. When replacing the desiccant cartridge, it is very important to use the same type of car- tridge that was originally installed on the dryer. Oil coalescing cartridges can be used in any applica- tion, but require more frequent service intervals (every 1 to 2 years instead of every 2 to 3 years for a standard cartridge). Do not replace an oil co- alescing cartridge with a standard cartridge, as this may result in contamination and malfunction- ing of downstream air system components."

Yes the Senecas have had the dryer starting 2018.5 when they switched to the S2 chassis.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
The ones on the S2 chassis are down by the tanks. I also have cable pull drains on the tanks but Jayco never did anything with them, the cables were just coiled up and zip tied. I finally got around to stringing the cables out to under the battery compartment so I dont have to crawl under to drain after every trip.....even though noting ever comes out having the dryer but still a must do. My only complaint is you are in a dusty area when it purges it can make a pretty big dust cloud and it always seems to happen when pulling into a spot and it annoys the neighbors
So you don't have the Automatic condensate drain valves on both tanks? Just the pull-valve units? Please tell me NO... I hope they did not cut corners there too?

We have the Haldex auto drain valve... our tanks are always being emptied of moisture.
https://www.finditparts.com/products...aldex-kn24000x
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
So you don't have the Automatic condensate drain valves on both tanks? Just the pull-valve units? Please tell me NO... I hope they did not cut corners there too?

We have the Haldex auto drain valve... our tanks are always being emptied of moisture.
https://www.finditparts.com/products...aldex-kn24000x
Nope manual valves on the tanks with the air dryer between the compressor and tanks, this is pretty standard on all semi trucks and the Freightliner box trucks I had in my business we’re all set up this way. Trucks without a dryer usually have the auto drains. Like I mentioned, I pull the cables after every trip and in 2 years I have never seen a drop of water come out. I just still pull the drains out of habit from past trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
9E2362A4-5870-497E-B58C-98A435A719CC.jpg  

Old 04-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #16
Site Team

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Please be aware that this thread was resurrected due to a post made on 04-21-2020, 01:35 PM. The post before this one was made on 09-26-2016, 01:22 PM. If you do the math, you'll notice that this thread has been has been inactive for over 3-1/2 years between the two posts. Some of the information presented in 2016 might not be relevant.

The OP placed this post in the Welcome Mat forum, where it doesn't belong. It will be moved to the Jayco Class C Motorhomes forum.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:07 AM   #17

It really depends on what year your unit is. As slowpoke said early models only had air for suspension and caging the brakes. The auto dump feature on the tanks works pretty well and I never saw water discharge when I manually drained them. However with full air brakes in cold climates I would not trust them. Prior to adding the dryer I had one of the dump valves stay open and I had to climb under and heat it with a heat gun so I could build pressure. I then drove straight to the shop to get a dryer installed.

My dryer on my 18 37ts is installed between the frame rails above and just behind the transmission. Plenty of space to service it as you can sit up inside there. The was no wiring so they had to route and install fuses and solenoid for the heater and dump control.

When I had mine installed the service tech suggested removing the auto valves and replacing with pull valves. Said it would eliminate any issues with possible failure of the auto dump valve. I elected to leave them on.

Moderator makes a good point for people to notice dates of post that they are replying too. Also would be good to include your model and year so people can provide the most accurate info.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #18

Yes I noticed that this was an old thread but I feel it is still important information as the Seneca Chassis has had many changes over the years. It is good it got moved into the C forum. Many new owners come to JOF for information and continuing to add to important subjects like Air Dyers helps new owners learn about their units.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #19
Site Team

As you can see by my sig and avatar, I have a TT, so my knowledge with some class C discussions is rather limited. My intent was only to "put the cards on the table", so to speak, in case anyone missed noticing that this thread had been on a hiatus for the last 3-1/2 years. Being in the wrong forum didn't help its cause either. It didn't take long after the thread was moved that a member made a post,

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote