Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

Question winterizing our unit

HI All
We have been out 3 times with our unit this summer it was just grand the last trip was to Pancake Bay lake Superior just awsome there, we could not help but notice that most of the trailers in the park were Jayco we love ours a lot and everything has worked just great on the 22FB
For winter storage we are wondering if anyone has information on wether or not to cover the unit I noticed full cloth covers that let air circulate etc do we leave a vent open and what do you folks leave inside any clothing bedding etc if you take everything in do you leave the cushions and mattress in as well. We live in the country and I do worry about mice I will use dryer sheets apparently they work and I will spot check over the winter. We should also not block the trailer but leave it on its wheel for the winter correct.
I know this is early folks but we live in Northern Ontario, we may get a bit more warm weather and may squeeze one more trip out of her yet. Hubby still working so no long trip south this winter!.
To tarp or not to tarp that is the question?
Buyers Weight Distribution Hitch
Primus Braking System
ken suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #2

You live in winter wonder land and I'm not gonna lend any advise for winterizing a camper in you neck of the woods. I'll let some canadians chime in and asnwer this one. I'm not sure how they do it up there, but Im glad you had fun in your camper
Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #3

thanks we have actually seen campsites that now feature winter camping yup I love winter but that is a bit much for me.
Primus Braking System
Old 09-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

The Jayco service manager told the group at the International Rally a couple of years ago that they see more damage from covers than anything else. He did not recommend them. He did stress to check the roof for caulking cracks.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

I too am thinking or winterizing my 5th wheel in the next few weeks. I will check with Walmart to see if they have anti-freeze on for a good price. I learned the hard way by buying from an RV dealer and found that I had bought their dealership by buying a couple of gallons from them.

I took my 5th wheel to the family farm 2 weeks ago and drove it onto fence boards laid on the ground. I then drained all my water, plus I removed the anod rod from the hot water tank. I will then run anti-freeze through my system, remembering to put it through my outside shower.

I also put steel wool in any openings that I could find under the unit and also put mouse traps under my sink. Please remember to remove all and any food stuffs from your unit and that includes any of those packages of ketchup, mustard, sugar etc. that you get from fast food places. I had one mouse get in last year and he or she managed to find a package of Ketchup and made a meal of it. I was lucky, only one mouse and he left after the meal. I do leave bedding in my unit and have not had a problem.

I might suggest you remove your battery, which I do and I have a battery tender that I hook up in my garage and leave it all winter or when I decide to go on vacation, like to Yuma that I did last winter.

I also suggest that you remove your water filter if you have one. I stopped using them 2 years ago and use bottle water for drinking.

I have heard that it is not a good idea to cover your unit, but I do cover my A/C unit and leave my vents closed.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #6

Lived & stored my trailer in Ottawa for many years - never covered it (except for one, out of the ordinary 3 year period when I was out of country). IF you're going to cover the trailer make sure you allow for lots of circulation - with the amount of snow & freeze/thaw periods you'll go through, that means you're going to have to build a frame so the tarp doesn't sit on the trailer and trap the moisture inside. Really, however, I don't see the point in going through all that effort - just inspect the roof each spring & fall and recaulk as needed to keep things dry.

Last year, a buddy of mine with land offered to store the trailer - I bought one of those temporary shelters (fabric & aluminium poles) which was big enough length wise but not height - I added 2x3's to each post and staked the tent to the ground nice & solid to get the height so the roof wouldn't sit on the trailer. That gave the trailer lots of breathing room but protected it from most of the moisture, and kept the heavy snow off.

Follow Alberta-guy's advice on the rest of it...but I wouldn't tarp the trailer......

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I too am thinking or winterizing my 5th wheel in the next few weeks. I will check with Walmart to see if they have anti-freeze on for a good price. I learned the hard way by buying from an RV dealer and found that I had bought their dealership by buying a couple of gallons from them.

I took my 5th wheel to the family farm 2 weeks ago and drove it onto fence boards laid on the ground. I then drained all my water, plus I removed the anod rod from the hot water tank. I will then run anti-freeze through my system, remembering to put it through my outside shower.

I also put steel wool in any openings that I could find under the unit and also put mouse traps under my sink. Please remember to remove all and any food stuffs from your unit and that includes any of those packages of ketchup, mustard, sugar etc. that you get from fast food places. I had one mouse get in last year and he or she managed to find a package of Ketchup and made a meal of it. I was lucky, only one mouse and he left after the meal. I do leave bedding in my unit and have not had a problem.

I might suggest you remove your battery, which I do and I have a battery tender that I hook up in my garage and leave it all winter or when I decide to go on vacation, like to Yuma that I did last winter.

I also suggest that you remove your water filter if you have one. I stopped using them 2 years ago and use bottle water for drinking.

I have heard that it is not a good idea to cover your unit, but I do cover my A/C unit and leave my vents closed.
I also forgot to mention that I have covers for my tires which I put on.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #8

thank you for all your responses re the winterizing I will of course follow all your advise we treasure your years of experience and appreciate the responses we get. The Jayco manual is helpfull as well.
Primus Braking System