Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #1

Winterizing went foul

I am a second year owner of a 2015 JayFlight. I winterized last year with no problems. This year I went through all procedures adn turned my pump on and it will not suck anything up and send it through the lines. I wouldn't think my pump would be bad already but I don't know. Any help appreciated.
hartfam007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:18 AM   #2

Hart,

Welcome to JOF!!!

When you say the pump wouldn't suck anything, is that from the antifreeze bottle using the clear hose? Guessing it is, so the first question is did you change the valve(s) that is/are before the pump, between the fresh tank and pump? If not, the pump is probably still trying to draw from the fresh tank.

Some setups may have one valve, others may have 2 valves that need to be changed.

There is always the chance the pump is bad.... Guess I should have asked if the pump is kicking on at all?

Good luck and keep us posted what you find!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Does it work normally from the fresh tank.

1. Make sure valves are in the correct configuration. ( same as last year)

2 Clean the input filter on the pump.

3. Open a valve on the cold side.

4 bypass and drain the water heater or it will fill with 6 gallons of antifreeze.

Something's likely set wrong somewhere.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartfam007 View Post
I am a second year owner of a 2015 JayFlight. I winterized last year with no problems. This year I went through all procedures adn turned my pump on and it will not suck anything up and send it through the lines. I wouldn't think my pump would be bad already but I don't know. Any help appreciated.
I'm thinking you may have overlooked a valve that needs to be open/closed. Winterizing my Jay Feather 23RLSW requires 5 valve changes (just did it yesterday). 3 at the water heater, 2 at the pump. If it's valves, the 2 at the pump are the most likely culprits.

And of course it *could* be a bad pump. As Norty1 said, make sure the pump works correctly from the fresh water tank.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #5

I had a similar issue, where the pump stopped drawing from the antifreeze bottle, as I followed the clear tube with my hand I found there was a kink in the hose. Repositioned the hose to relieve the kink and things worked well.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #6

It maybe that it needs to be primed. I never use the fresh water tank, hence never really use the pump. Every time I winterize I have to open a faucet to get it to prime then pump the antifreeze.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

I remember my 2014 Jayflight SLX 165RB. First time I went to winterize it, I looked for *HOURS* to find the clear hose described in the manual. Finally found it - had to unscrew and remove wood platform of the dinette seat in order to turn the freakin' bypass valves. And then I saw it - yes, it was the clear hose!!!

So when we did the PDI for my new 23RLSW, I made sure they showed me where that dang clear hose is.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #8

If you are only using the pump for winterizing, some time the seals dry out. What I do is get a funnel and stick it down the end of the suction hose and pour some antifreeze down the tube. Usually primes up right away, if that was the problem.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #9

If you are only using the pump for winterizing, some time the seals dry out. What I do is get a funnel and stick it down the end of the suction hose and pour some antifreeze down the tube. Usually primes up right away, if that was the problem.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #10

Someone else told me at the Rv place I need to Prime it since I dont use my holding tank as well. Not sure how to do that. Anybody know? Thanks to all for your help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1335.jpg  
hartfam007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #11

Shouldn't need to prime it. On my last camper and current one I've never used the fresh water holding tanks and I don't prime the pump for the clear hose to suck antifreeze. Did you make sure you didn't forget to turn the valves by the water pump as mentioned earlier?

And if you wanted to prime, I guess you'd hold the clear hose vertical and carefully pour some water in the hose. Not sure that would work though. Problem is when you bring the tip of the hose down the water will run out. That's why I suggested water and not actual antifreeze...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #12

Talking

At the city water connection (inlet on a greyhawk) you have to remove the washer that has a cone shaped screen. Reverse the washer so the point of the screen points inward. That will open the backflow valve and let antifreeze get pumped from the bottle into your TT. When you finish winterizing, remember to put the washer back so that the point of the screen point outward. This is how it works on a Greyhawk. I'll bet it's the same on a TT.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartfam007 View Post
Did you disconnect your city water hookup? Pump will not kick in if there's pressure on another side of the pump, so make sure you disconnect city water and relieve pressure by opening some of the faucets.

--
Alex
==
Honda Pilot + 2017 Jay flight slx 174BH Baja
Ukrainian_Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote