Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Question Working on it in NC

It seems the time has come for wife and I to get into RVing. We are no longer able to travel internationally and have decided it's time to spend more time visiting our grandchildren, friends, and this beautiful country of ours, trailer camping seems to be the best fit for our current situation for scheduling freedom, not imposing on others for a place to put our heads, and be able to travel with a small dog who may not be welcome everyplace we stop for a night.

Thought I'd stop by and see what you folks think about a 2016 Jayco 18BRM, we know a person who bought it new, drove from Florida to Tenn using it 6 nights, and has had it parked in the garage ever since. It seems to have many amenities that are above and beyond the base unit and they would like to recover $11,000 by selling it, which seems fair, but I'm not too sure of pricing. A slick salesman sold them on the life style and this unit but after one trip home they found it is not for them.

We have a large van that can tow the trailer, and like the idea of being able to unhook and see the sites before we move on, and still have the benefit of a large van when we are not towing to put 8 people or lots of "stuff" in it, which we seem to do on a regular basis.

It does not have a "dinette" but two sofas with a movable folding table to go along with the murphy bed that drops down over one of the sofas. Not familiar with the murphy bed, and would love your opinion of no dinning table as I've seen in most trailer floor plans. Anything specific I should be looking at when buying used or this model specifically?

The fact that it has no slides does not bother me as there are only 2 of us, less moving parts to wear, and no joints that could leak. Maybe I'm way off on this thought but my only experience with slides from others we've know is that they leak after a while, and need to be adjusted for wear fairly often. Not show stoppers but I have enough to think about without adding these.

Hope this forum is like the BBQ one I'm on where folks are happy to jump in with opinions and freely share the wealth of experiences they have with newbies like me.

Can't wait to hear from some of you, and to get into RVing very soon. Who knows, we may be appearing at a camp site near y'all very soon. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob
Bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

Welcome. I'm not familiar with that model RV, but I looked it up on Jayco. My only observation is the gray and black tank volumes are low (15 gal and 9 gal). Unless that's a typo, you would run out of tank space soon. Enjoy RVing.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

Welcome.

I love BBQ and also have opinions.

It will give you a chance to decide if you like the RV lifestyle. If you do it will help you decide what you will want in the next one. Being a hybrid it will be extra work every time you come and go.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco brm18 opinions, newbie