Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Yet Another Zoner

Hi, all! My name is Jeannie and I live in Tempe, AZ. I do not have a TT yet but I've been looking for one to move into full time in the next year or so once I get rid of 61 years of accumulated "stuff." After haunting several dealers in AZ and CA, as well as studying floor plans on the Internet, I've pretty much settled on the Jayco Eagle 330RLTS. I don't plan on moving it much. I might do the snow bird thing between somewhere up north (mayhap Flagstaff) and the Tempe/Mesa area but otherwise, I just want to be able to move quickly if I get noisy neighbors or have to run from a fire.

I plan on doing some serious modding of the unit (yeah, I know, much of my warranty will go south). Since I will live only in parks with hookups, I won't need the holding or freshwater tanks nor the water pump so those will go away and the plumbing modified accordingly. The RV toilet will get replaced with a real one that can accomodate my ample asset. The tiny refrigerator will be replaced with a residential type with more capacity (the pantry will have to go to make room). The teeny microwave will be replaced with a more respectably sized GE Spacemaker.

Where the sofa is now in the left slide, a computer desk will go in to house a computer, two scanners, a printer, two monitors, a large paper cutter, and a 32" TV hung near the ceiling. I'll be able to comfortably view the TV from the remaining sofa and half of the dinette. I will also be able to see it reasonably comfortably from the desk.

At the back of the trailer, I'm going to put in a washer/dryer (wiring will be easy, plumbing will be a bit of a challenge but still doable; there is no way I'm going to live without my own washer/dryer!), a generator (lousy place but nowhere else to put it) and more storage. The windows at the back and in the left pullout will have to have the glass replaced with a solid panel (probably painted aluminum unless the dealer or I can find some fiberglass panels that match) and leveled inside with foam insulation and plywood. The biggest challenge will be matching the existing woodwork.

The dealer I've been talking to has already talked to the factory and said that they can't do any mods but they can just not install the appliances and furniture I don't want (they insist the tanks do have to be installed). The dealer also asked the factory rep about the added weight going into the left slide and he said it would be able to handle it.

I'll probably have the dealer remove the tanks, redo the plumbing, and route additional AC where needed (especially in the slide). I'll probably put in the computer desk and the cabinet work for the back of the trailer (I used to be a cabinet maker about 40 years ago). Again, the challenge will be matching the existing woodwork. Hopefully, the dealer can get the needed door, cabinet doors, and drawers from the factory.

Why not just get a park model? I haven't found one I really like and I would have to get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to move it. Since the same truck will be my grocery getter, I don't want to have to pay for worse gas mileage than a 1/2 ton can get nor have to manuever the extra length while tooling around (it would be a crew cab). I presently drive an '08 F150 crew cab but I'll have to upgrade to a later model F150 to be able to pull the 330RLTS. I don't want a fifth wheel because I have (and will have) a shell on the bed that has tool boxes along the side (Lear 100R). There is no way I am going to give up my shell! I love that thing!

Ok, I've bored you all long enough.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome Lady F. You`re not gonna bore this crowd, we like posts long or short! Enjoy your new "seriously modded" Jayco! -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #3

Talking

welcome
wife -betty:D
lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

Welcome! Sounds like you got you got a plan. Interested in seeing those Mods!

Love that part of the county. Have a relative in Sedona -- sure wish I could pull my trailer right up to his back yard!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #5

We had been looking at the park models with holding tanks but didn't like the height with the 8' interior walls. When we saw the 330RLTS floorplan we decided that was the one for us. It is a few feet shorter but whe extra slide in the living area makes up for that. I also didn't care for the sliding glass doors that all of them seem to have. If you think a 1/2 ton truck will handle that trailer you really don't know what you are getting into. The dry/empty hitch weight is 1355#. We pull ours with a 1 ton diesel. If you are dealing with World Wide RV I wish you luck on any mods that they may do. We had to take our trailer to a REAL Jayco dealer to get some basic things done correctly.

By the way, welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Welcome! Sounds like you got you got a plan. Interested in seeing those Mods!

Love that part of the county. Have a relative in Sedona -- sure wish I could pull my trailer right up to his back yard!
Funny. I took four friends up to Sedona on Sunday to do the tourist thing. Had a ball. The weather was beautiful.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
We had been looking at the park models with holding tanks but didn't like the height with the 8' interior walls. When we saw the 330RLTS floorplan we decided that was the one for us. It is a few feet shorter but whe extra slide in the living area makes up for that. I also didn't care for the sliding glass doors that all of them seem to have. If you think a 1/2 ton truck will handle that trailer you really don't know what you are getting into. The dry/empty hitch weight is 1355#. We pull ours with a 1 ton diesel. If you are dealing with World Wide RV I wish you luck on any mods that they may do. We had to take our trailer to a REAL Jayco dealer to get some basic things done correctly.

By the way, welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum.
I agree about the park models. The added height would be rather worrisome in a stiff breeze. The weight would require at least an F250. I also dislike sliding glass doors (with a passion) but they could be replaced with double hung doors or a single door with solid panel "sidelights." Mostly, though, I just didn't like the floorplans.

Where did you get your figures for the 330RTLS? According to Jayco's site, the dry weight is 8765. The gross is 11,250. I would worry more about the tongue weight (1355). As long as I limit the load in my truck to the shell and just a little bit of junk (of course, I could move some to the back or middle of the trailer), I should be comfortably OK even with a passenger.

The '09-'10 F150s with the 5.4 and 3.73 gears could handle up to 11,300. Yes, that is pushing the limit but as infrequently as I'll be moving the TT and doing so for less than 250 miles, I should be alright as long as I don't push it. Same for the '11s. The Ecoboost and the 6.2 are rated the same as the 5.4. The tranny is improved, though, and there is a factory brake controller that works off the hydraulics that will be more effective than the inertia controllers. However, I'm leery of the Ecoboost until there has been time for reports of how well it does and holds up. Right now, I would be more comfortable with the 6.2. The sad thing is I would have to get the Lariat package to get the 6.2 in an F150. The XLT is plenty for me. I can get an F250 XLT cheaper than the F150 Lariat (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble...). Again, I don't want an F250 since it is longer than the F150 (critical when driving a screw) and gets lousy gas mileage compared to the F150. A seemingly petty objection to the F250 is the 6 CD changer is unavailable but, believe me, it makes a huge difference when on a long trip with no decent radio stations to listen to (heck there aren't any locally). The F250 is just too much truck for a grocery getter.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum Lady Fitzgerald. Sounds like you've got quite a plan.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
Welcome to the forum Lady Fitzgerald. Sounds like you've got quite a plan.
Not to mention a ton of work!

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #10

@ clutch. Ok, my ADD/dyslexia was working overtime. I read your report of the hitch weight of 1355 lb (which is correct) as a gross of 13,550. I'm sorry about that.

My present vehicle will not be able to handle the trailer (although I might get away with moving it from Prescott to Tempe/Mesa when Affinity finishes with it and before I install the new cabinetry just as long as I take my sweet time with it). The '09 up F150s will, especially the '11s since the transmission has been improved to make it more "tow friendly." As long as I don't try to also haul a bunch of "stuff" in the back of the truck, I should have no problems. The mods I will be doing will also pull some weight off of the hitch (the generator and washer/dryer will put roughly 500lb at the back of the trailer which will cantilever some weight from the tongue, roughly 100-200 lb). All I will put in the bedroom will be a 32" TV , linens, and clothes. The storage areas will get only light, bulky stuff stored in them. If that is still a problem, it wouldn't take long to move it to the right rear slide before moving the trailer. The '11 trucks with a 6.2L are rated for 1680 (the Ecoboost picks up another 200 lb). The shell will dock 150-200 lb from that. If the stuff in the tool boxes is too much, it would take all of 5-10 minutes to move it to the right rear slide. with the weight of the hitch, it will be close but for as few times I'll be moving the trailer, I should be fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #11

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Jeannie! Wow, you have ambitious plans! It sounds as though you will become intimate with the Mods Forum! Take pics and post mods when you can
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #12

Sounds like you will have your plate full for awhile. I would reconsider the F-150 to pull it. I know what the dealers says but I wouldn't do it. I have a 33rlds and pull it with a 2002 Ford excursion and I am real close on all the weights. I would not be worried about pulling it it is the stopping that would make me pucker. But whatever you decide good luck and enjoy. Later Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #13

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

Jeannie - If you have any doubts about the Ecoboost, watch these series of videos. I drove one the other day. It is ridiculously impressive!

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

Jeannie - If you have any doubts about the Ecoboost, watch these series of videos. I drove one the other day. It is ridiculously impressive!
I've seen the videos already. Keep in mind the first 150k was on a dyno. I still would like to hear from users in real life conditions first. Early reports on gas mileage have been very mixed with most not doing as well as Ford is claiming. All do agree it will get up and scoot. So will the 6.2. One user reported the 6.2 gets better gas mileage in his F150 than he got with the 5.4 in his '08 and it had more seat of the pants power then the Eco. That I find impresive, especially the improved mileage. I'm getting 18.5 to 19.4 highway and around 14 city with my '08 5.4 with 3.73 gears (the secret is eggs).

What I'm really concerned with is how it holds up over time. The torture test Ford did was mostly on a dyno which is not the same as real life no matter how they load it. Also, if the Eco is so great, why isn't it part of the SD lineup? Also, if something does go wrong with the Eco (and it has more to go wrong) once it goes out of warranty, it's going to cost an arm and a couple of legs to fix.If I had to buy right now, I would get the 6.2. However, I would rather wait a while to see how the Eco does. Of course, if I have to get an F250, the point is moot.

For those concerned about me using an F150 to pull my 330RLTS, I'm considering either getting the dealer to deliver it to a lot for me or renting a truck to haul it "home" so I can wait until the Eco has had a chance to prove itself (or not). It's still going to be as much as a year from now before I pull the trigger on buying the trailer. Another reason for waiting is to see what my tongue weight will be once I finish with it which will determine if I can get away with an F150 or if I will have to get an F250. Tongue scales only run around $200 or so.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

I am thinking the dyno is pretty accurate to real world situations. They were even able to create extreme situations that no owner could put the truck through. Cold followed by heat followed by cold again in a matter of minutes. Climbing a continuous hill for thousands of miles. All good stuff. I do agree, time will truly tell, but if this new Ecoboost engine is anything like the current roll that Ford is on, they have a real winner on their hands.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote