Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Ignore tool?

Is there any way to set any kind of "ignore" for a particular thread or forum? Other forums I subscribe to have an "ignore" tool, but I don't see anything here other than ignoring other members/users.

I like using the New Posts tool, but there are so many threads in which I unfortunately have no interest that it can be very frustrating. Like counting to a million, and add a word. Glad these are there, but wading through them can be time-consuming.

Thanks,

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #2

What do you mean "wading" through them? Just don't click on them.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I think this forum is very well organized. It is easy to skim the thread topics to choose what interests you and very easy to read a sentence or two on the threads you have picked to determine if you want to spend more time and read further.

If you are pressed for time, just don't access the forum until you feel more relaxed and less time constrained. The key is to personally take control of and ownership of your reactions and responses.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

When visiting the JOF site, I use either a PC (with the quick-pick list on the right side and signatures displayed) or a tablet (no pick-list or signatures displayed). With the tablet, my default is to launch JOF FORUM where posts are grouped by topic, then dig deeper through those of interest. I am also a frequent user of ADVANCED SEARCH to hone-in on specific topics.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

Interesting responses. Let me point out that if you use the New Posts function, EVERY topic stays there and bubbles up to the top of the list until you open the last page of the thread to mark it "read". You can also go to the main forums list, open individual forums, and then mark all messages in the forum as "Read", but that's kind of convoluted. I'm suggesting that an "ignore" tool might be helpful, not in a rude way, but allowing users to focus on their individual interests.

Roger

Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I'm guessing that if you provide the funding for your reading option, you might get some traction. Frankly, it took me longer to read your post than it took to "wade" through the handful of "recent threads" posted on the right side of my page and decide which one or two I would take a quick look at.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
Site Team

When you finish reading all the new posts on the right that you want, just go to the Quick Links button and select "Mark Forums Read".
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the instructions from the forum usage list:

Ignore feature

You can place other forum members on an ignore list so that you can't read their posts and they cannot use the PM system to contact you.

To do this:
Click on 'usercp' on the upper blue nav bar.
Find "settings & Options" on the left side menu and select "edit ignore list"
This is useful for those members that really push your buttons, or whos' posts consistently annoy the heck out you (or if your ex posts here)

If you have a problem with another members posting style we strongly encourage you to use the ignore feature. As always, if you feel a post is inappropriate, use the report post button to report it to site staff.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Is there any way to set any kind of "ignore" for a particular thread or forum? Other forums I subscribe to have an "ignore" tool, but I don't see anything here other than ignoring other members/users.

I like using the New Posts tool, but there are so many threads in which I unfortunately have no interest that it can be very frustrating. Like counting to a million, and add a word. Glad these are there, but wading through them can be time-consuming.

Thanks,

Roger
I can empathize with the OP on this one. I use the "Today's Posts" feature whenever I visit to get the latest information posted. I, too get tired of seeing the same old threads recycled to the top time and time again. I'm all for the idea of an "Ignore Thread" option and would use it often if offered.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
I can empathize with the OP on this one. I use the "Today's Posts" feature whenever I visit to get the latest information posted. I, too get tired of seeing the same old threads recycled to the top time and time again. I'm all for the idea of an "Ignore Thread" option and would use it often if offered.
Hey, you actually READ my suggestion!!!

BTW, thanks for mentioning the Today's Posts feature. I had not found that yet, and it is a step in the right direction.

Thanks,

Roger

Old 01-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

I too would like to have an "ignore" option for Recent Threads that do not interest me. I also want to comment that I'm surprised at some of the responses to rkresge's post; many of those responses border on being snide, which is odd for a group that likes to tell everyone what a friendly, helpful bunch we are. And, if you look closely, no one has actually addressed his question.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #11

If I never see the "add a word" or "count to million" thread ever again, it would be to soon!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey, you actually READ my suggestion!!!

BTW, thanks for mentioning the Today's Posts feature. I had not found that yet, and it is a step in the right direction.

Thanks,

Roger
Agree completely. We know there is an ignore function for people. But it isn't people we want to ignore, it is entire threads and categories.
Since I visit this forum every day (sometimes several times) I too, use the recent posts function to see what is new since I last visited. But I'd like to either be able to specify which categories I'm interested in, or be able to ignore/hide those I have no desire to see (such as pets, count to a million, etc).
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
Site Team

To all concerned on this or other forum issues. There is a
"contact us" at the bottom of the page that gets the ear of admin. If you have suggestions they will consider them. Posted here in the general forum they may not see these ideas for awhile. Sometimes the forum software allows easy changes by admin, others may not be so easily changed. I hear what you are saying on not wanting to view all threads, all of the time.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
If I never see the "add a word" or "count to million" thread ever again, it would be to soon!
Agreed. They are always there in my Tapatalk timeline.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
X2
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #16

So to sum this up:
JOF members would like to see some of the topics all of the time and all of the topics some of the time but never all of the topics all of the time?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
So to sum this up:
JOF members would like to see some of the topics all of the time and all of the topics some of the time but never all of the topics all of the time?
Good summary.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #18

BTW, the "irv2.com" forums page has an "Ignore Forum" option, if you'd like to see what I'm suggesting. Looks as if they may even use the same software that this forum does, which *might* mean it's an easy option to implement.

Roger

P.S. I *much* prefer hanging around here on JOF.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
BTW, the "irv2.com" forums page has an "Ignore Forum" option, if you'd like to see what I'm suggesting. Looks as if they may even use the same software that this forum does, which *might* mean it's an easy option to implement.

Roger

P.S. I *much* prefer hanging around here on JOF.
We'll look at adding more robust "ignore" functions
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We'll look at adding more robust "ignore" functions
Thanks. We appreciate it.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote