Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #21

Is there a better app for determining route driving time? None of the common mapping destination tools (GoogleMaps, MapQuest, Good Sam Trip Planner) accommodate MPH adjustments to more accurately determine/calculate travel time. Granted, MPH calculator apps exist and it can also be easily calculated manually but so far I haven't found an app that does everything (destination to destination mapping, identification of services and rest stops along the way, and adjustments for driving speed and route advisories). Any recommendations?

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Is there a better app for determining route driving time? None of the common mapping destination tools (GoogleMaps, MapQuest, Good Sam Trip Planner) accommodate MPH adjustments to more accurately determine/calculate travel time. Granted, MPH calculator apps exist and it can also be easily calculated manually but so far I haven't found an app that does everything (destination to destination mapping, identification of services and rest stops along the way, and adjustments for driving speed and route advisories). Any recommendations?
Waze is by far the best app for navigation. It is all user reports based so you can see accidents ahead and how badly they're effecting traffic. It also alerts you when someone is stopped on the shoulder ahead or if there are police ahead.

I believe your arrival time is based on the speed you're traveling but don't quote me on that.

If family or friends have the app, you can share your trip so they can see exactly where you are and when you'll arrive.

It's awesome!

TT: 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW (first RV!)
TV: 2010 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 w/ Max Tow Package
charliebravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #23

Check out motion X
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebravo View Post
Waze is by far the best app for navigation. It is all user reports based so you can see accidents ahead and how badly they're effecting traffic. It also alerts you when someone is stopped on the shoulder ahead or if there are police ahead. I believe your arrival time is based on the speed you're traveling but don't quote me on that. If family or friends have the app, you can share your trip so they can see exactly where you are and when you'll arrive. It's awesome!
I have and use WAZE (a free app) and agree it is good with useful features for "real time" travel, but it doesn't satisfy my ask for a comprehensive trip "planner" where I can apply an average tow speed of 55mph to calculate the travel time (as opposed to tools that "assume" 65 mph).

Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton4971 View Post
Check out motion X
MotionX-GPS is another great "real time" app while in transit, but how about better "planning" tools to strategize routes and side trips for upcoming getaways?

So far, imho, the Good Sam Road Trip Planner (free if you are a member) comes closest ... using their feedback feature I suggested adding a MPH attribute to their TRIP SETTINGS screen to generate better travel estimates for those of us towing at 55mph. Currently, once I've identified the target mileage, I use Drive Time Calculator to estimate drive time.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #26

Garmin Viago
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
trying to read the forum on my iPhone has me wondering if there is an app. Avail. Thanks

Tapatalk. A forum app that this forum supports.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #28

Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I use tapatalk to access 4 different rv forums. It is very user friendly and easy to use and free.
Regarding tapatalk, do you know what the check mark button and the thunbs up button do? Also, I know you can tap the star button to subscribe, but it seems like it does it with no notifications. I then tried to go into the User Control Panel, to change this, but there is no way to change it without unsubscribing and then re-subscribing. Am I missing something?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #29

Check-out posting #26 on the following thread if you like to read: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tml#post319220

At NO cost, OVERDRIVE (free) allows you to check-out of your library (and others) current release eBooks, you can even put "holds" on books! I primarily read on my tablet with the free KINDLE app, and it will sync your book across all your tools (Kindle, tablets. phones, PCs) should you wish to switch. Free, Free, Free - I LOVE it!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Regarding tapatalk, do you know what the check mark button and the thunbs up button do? Also, I know you can tap the star button to subscribe, but it seems like it does it with no notifications. I then tried to go into the User Control Panel, to change this, but there is no way to change it without unsubscribing and then re-subscribing. Am I missing something?
Sorry, I do not. I have never used them. I'm now curious and will try and find some information.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
I have and use WAZE (a free app) and agree it is good with useful features for "real time" travel, but it doesn't satisfy my ask for a comprehensive trip "planner" where I can apply an average tow speed of 55mph to calculate the travel time (as opposed to tools that "assume" 65 mph).
There's actually an old fashioned trick to it that doesn't require an app. My dad was an over the road trucker when I was a kid. When started traveling distances with the trailer he told me just plan 2 hours for every 100 miles of travel. That puzzled me because my mind was telling about speed limits. The reality is that including stops, most people travel just about that, 2 hours for every 100 miles. This formula always works for well for us.

Mileage / 100 * 2
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
There's actually an old fashioned trick to it that doesn't require an app. My dad was an over the road trucker when I was a kid. When started traveling distances with the trailer he told me just plan 2 hours for every 100 miles of travel. That puzzled me because my mind was telling about speed limits. The reality is that including stops, most people travel just about that, 2 hours for every 100 miles. This formula always works for well for us. Mileage / 100 * 2
Perfect.
You know these computer wonks now-a-days, they're all trying to create the next "must have" app ... seems to me the RV/camping needs would be low-hanging fruit!

Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #33
Site Team

If I know the mileage it always averages 50 mph on a trip.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #34
Site Team

There is also a simple mobile version of the site - no app needed. If you navigate to the site on your small device you will see it. If you want to return to the full view scroll down the the bottom of the page and look for the link.
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote