Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

Scam???

Just got an email from something id'ed as Social Knowledge . com giving reference to a private message I received on the Jayco forum. Said I raised an issue and they gave me a reference # and a link to contact for further info about my issue. To access the link they wanted me to provide identification info concerning my Jayco Forum membership.

What is this???
Old 11-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Social knowledge is the owner of Jayco Owners Forum and other online forums.
You must have hit a wrong button somewhere.

Not a Scam as far as I know.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

Did you possibly hit report post by accident? The little triangle next to the green/grey online indicator?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #4

As an IT security professional, I caution everyone to NEVER click on links in unsolicited emails, even if it appears to come from a legitimate sender. This includes your brother, sister, aunt, uncle, neighbor across the street or your best friend. If you do, you can expect your computer, phone, tablet, or whatever to be compromised.

If you're unsure, call the person who sent the email and ask them if they sent it. And yes, it's inconvenient. But...it's not nearly as inconvenient as having all of your data stolen or held for ransom.

Click on this link for more info.

If you attempted to click on the link text above....you failed.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justman View Post
As an IT security professional, I caution everyone to NEVER click on links in unsolicited emails, even if it appears to come from a legitimate sender. This includes your brother, sister, aunt, uncle, neighbor across the street or your best friend. If you do, you can expect your computer, phone, tablet, or whatever to be compromised.

If you're unsure, call the person who sent the email and ask them if they sent it. And yes, it's inconvenient. But...it's not nearly as inconvenient as having all of your data stolen or held for ransom.

Your link does not work.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Your link does not work.
LOL... You've been scammed??
Gerard
Old 11-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
As an IT security professional, I caution everyone to NEVER click on links in unsolicited emails snip...

Click on this link for more info. When I read this, I thought WTH!
When I read the next line,

Well done and thank you.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 11-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

Sorry...couldn't resist.

We see anywhere from 5-10% of users open unsolicited emails and click on embedded links. Unless you know what you're looking for, there's really no way to distinguish valid emails from malicious emails. The best rule to follow is pretty simple.... If you didn't ask for it, delete it.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Another way to remember it is that if the link in an email you are about to click on might have anything to do with your personal or financial information, DO NOT click it.
But instead open your browser and type the exact web address of where you need to go and verify the address starts with https and a lock is displayed.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Did you possibly hit report post by accident? The little triangle next to the green/grey online indicator?
Anything is possible I guess. What is this Social Knowledge thing?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
Site Team

Why not check it out for yourself?

Social Knowledge - Online Community Network

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post

Social Knowledge is a small network of RV related forums and websites including RV Life magazine and RV Park Reviews. JOF is part of that network. You will see Social Knowledge referenced in e-mails and notifications.
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
The owner!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Social Knowledge is a small network of RV related forums and websites including RV Life magazine and RV Park Reviews. JOF is part of that network. You will see Social Knowledge referenced in e-mails and notifications.
I deleted the message but where is it disclosed in the Jayco forum about the existence of SK? I really don't know what I did that generated the followup email, but it would be nice if the "OWNER" made a better effort to identify themselves when they contact a user who may not be aware of their existence.

As others have posted, it is dangerous to click a link to anything let alone from someone you do not recognize.

Why don't you use this thread to better inform members of who you are and what role you play with the forum. Moderators seem to know who you are but I was totally caught by surprise.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:

May want to ask Mr Podesta about clicking on a link in an EMail didn't work out too well for them. LOL

Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #16

After exchanging a couple direct emails with "THE OWNER", I was informed that I should know who SKS is since I checked the box indicating that I had read the rules and regs of the forum. Well I guess I have to plead guilty to checking a box and not actually reading the BS fine print that all these sites ask you to sign before you are allowed to post. Any way I suspect that I'm not alone in being a serial checker with out actually reading.

I am speaking to non-site team members: How many of you were aware of the entity called SKS? If you got a direct email [not a private message but an email] would you recognize the sender?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #17

Quote:
I am speaking to non-site team members: How many of you were aware of the entity called SKS? If you got a direct email [not a private message but an email] would you recognize the sender?
Have no knowledge of anyone named or represented as SKS.
Gmail would probably flag the message as spam and we would never see it.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #18

Quote:
After exchanging a couple direct emails with "THE OWNER", I was informed that I should know who SKS is since I checked the box indicating that I had read the rules and regs of the forum. Well I guess I have to plead guilty to checking a box and not actually reading the BS fine print that all these sites ask you to sign before you are allowed to post. Any way I suspect that I'm not alone in being a serial checker with out actually reading.

Never heard of them, I only know SKS as a rifle....would of gone directly into the trash. Perhaps they are a little too full of themselves.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:08 AM   #19
Site Team

Here are pasts threads with some info about the Parent company.
http://www.socialknowledge.com/

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...les-35203.html
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...e-36972-2.html
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...-on-32986.html
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #20

I have found many "big" companies farm out their email processing. I always look at the email header information in an attempt to verify the sender. In most cases the legitimate sender is obscured by the 3rd party email processor to the extent confirmation is virtually impossible.

In those cases the emails are deleted. If the legitimate sender wants to be noticed they should process their own emails. Not a 3rd party.

Had I received something from SKS I would have deleted it too.

As far as those "Terms of Service" that we all agree to it smacks of attorneys providing enough wording (fodder) to discourage most normal individuals from reading it for detail. You can bet whatever is in there is 100% self-serving. Has nothing beneficial for you and I.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
Closed Thread