Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #1

Sideways photos

Does any web or tech folks running this site want to look into this? Been a constant problem. Why?

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #2

The quick fix several of us use is to edit your pic in your camera application just a hair and it will post in the correct orientation.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
The quick fix several of us use is to edit your pic in your camera application just a hair and it will post in the correct orientation.
I use the quick fix. I was just inquiring what the site techs (not moderators) could do to fix this. It's a constant problem for new folks to post a pic. I've never seen this on any other site I belong to.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 06-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #4

Images from phones (and many cameras) have an EXIF field for rotation - 90 degrees left, 90 degrees right, 180 degrees are the choices if it is not 0. vBulletin introduced code with version 5 that pays attention to the field, but I don't know if the software running this forum (listed as vBadvanced 3.2.3) can do that. I think vBadvanced is based on vBulletin, and if so is at least 3 years old. Not a knock on anybody - I've generally refused to update forums I've run or administered because it is a royal pain.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
Images from phones (and many cameras) have an EXIF field for rotation - 90 degrees left, 90 degrees right, 180 degrees are the choices if it is not 0. vBulletin introduced code with version 5 that pays attention to the field, but I don't know if the software running this forum (listed as vBadvanced 3.2.3) can do that. I think vBadvanced is based on vBulletin, and if so is at least 3 years old. Not a knock on anybody - I've generally refused to update forums I've run or administered because it is a royal pain.
Thanks Don, like you say if it's a royal pain to fix, then it isn't a problem that needs to be addressed. Posting pics, I kept thinking the sideways pics was because I run Linux. Nope, I posted a couple from the wife's Ipad, and two from motorola android phone.

Gave up. Editing or cropping pics works well on all of them, then they post upright on this site. Just inquiring if there was something the web master could do.
Thanks again for your reply.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 06-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Team

This is the version we have. Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1

We have discussed it in the past with tha admin folks. I will see if there are any newer developments.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

We have discussed it in the past with tha admin folks. I will see if there are any newer developments.
Thanks Norty. Just a little gripe.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 06-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

There is no update available to address this issue. Eventually we will be changing the forum software to address this and some other issues but until then, they need to be uploaded in the proper orientation.

When you take a photo with a phone or tablet, it auto rotates the image for your view based on the spatial orientation of the device. the forum can't do that and doesn't know if you're holding your device in landscape or vertically (letter). It assumes Vertical - always. if you snapped a pic holding your phone horizontally, the photo will be sideways when added to a post here..

The solution is to take the pic, then holding your device upright, edit the photo (even a small crop will do the trick) and resave.
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #9

I will add that sideways pictures do not cause me any depression or similar anxieties, but they do seem to cause a crick in my neck along with a bit of shoulder pain. Not sure why that happens though.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #10
Site Team

No Joy as the statement below implies, At least until a future update.

Until then You can go the extra mile and edit a pic and reload it. There are just to many pics uploaded for us underpaid moderators to try and do them. Often I don't know what orientation my camera was in until I post it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
No Joy as the statement below implies, At least until a future update.

Until then You can go the extra mile and edit a pic and reload it. There are just to many pics uploaded for us underpaid moderators to try and do them. Often I don't know what orientation my camera was in until I post it.
Yeah, I didn't know about the phone camera or Ipad camera orientation.
Janet described it well, so i'll just crop them all because I don't remember the orientation I was using either. Sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS